Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default excessive vibration in handlebars or is it me?

I only have 500 miles on the bike so far, so I am not an expert by any stretch. Most of my riding is in the boondocks and I travel at the posted speed limit :P I've only owned it for a little over 3 weeks.

Here is my question, while riding to a distance about 30 minutes away, hands got tingly. Did another ride at about 40 minutes one way, hands got tingly. Is this normal? I talked to some guys who ride bikes and it was a mixed bag, some said yeah it's normal and other said that it never happens to them (mix between harley and sport bikes), but a lot more said it isn't normal for them. I didn't get all their riding experiences for reference, just things at gas stations and people in parking lots..

I didn't want to buy any add ons for the bike until I was sure I had a feel for it. I just don't know if the foam grip things are worth the time or money.

Oh, I don't wear gloves. My rally has the hand guards from the factory. I don't know if gloves would make a big difference or not, and I am not sure if I would like wearing gloves in the summer. I also don't know if the foam would lessen my feel on the grip while accelerating out of turns.

Side note:
    I have watched the bike at idle and there is a lot of vibration in the handle bar while parked. From every video of a ryker I have watched, this appears normal. I was travelling down a sparsely driven road and decided to check it at speeds of 30-45 mph, vibration present in bars at that speed too, but not as much as at idle and parked.

Wild thought:
    Any chance they might make a rally 1200? I would like a little more oomph. The bike is fun as it is but it could be......funner

Spyder Garage

I have about the same miles as you on my Ryker...So far no issues with any handlebar vibration on mine while riding...It does vibrate at idle...Btw, I wear gloves...

Spyder Garage

If your hands get "tingly", your handlebars, aren't in the right position for you, you need to tinker with that setting, and find a setting, that doesn't get you tingling hands, gloves will help, but for sure foam grips will eeze the tingly hands.
    I drive a Spyder f3s, and I tinkered allot with the handlebars, but now, no sleepy hands.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I sometimes get the tingling in my hands but I also get them when riding my mountain bike. My friends have the same issues and it comes from the angle that your arm is coming off of the shoulder...at least for me it does.
    I added the foam grips and I learned not to grip the handlebars too tightly.

For now I just loosen my grip (open the hand up and push your palm into the throttle grip to maintain speed) or I take one arm off the handlebars and drop it down to change position. I find changing position alleviates the tingling almost immediately so that's why I suspect it has semething to do with the angle coming off of my shoulder.

Spyder Garage

The crappy OEM tires can lose their balance and vibrate. It might also need an alighment.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Old skool trick.

- Sit down, get comfy
    - Close your eyes
    - Straighten your wrists and reach out to where your brain thinks your grips should be.
    - Adjust bars as close as possible.

If you're way off, might want to try some different bars.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Try loosening your grip. A lot.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

ok, will try it out. thanks

Spyder Garage

Mainly like the rest have said, foam grips, good gloves, loosen grip (no death grip on the bars) relax, adjust bars or replace with different ones if needed. the eyes closed thing does work! try at a comfortable speed on nice smooth road 35-45mph let go of the bars or just a finger on each side if the bike tracks straight and the nose doesn't bounce tires and alinement are (most likely good).
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

I see lots of people riding with one hand off the bars, not ryker owners, just bikers.

Spyder Garage

Just to reply to a couple of posters, I can't relax my hands much more on the grips without taking them off. THe only time they get tight on the grips are 1) when taking a hard right and accelerating (not tight mind you, but tighter than cruising) 2) when something pops up, like a deer or some ahole who slammed on the brakes, then my grip gets as tight as my sphincter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Old skool trick.

- Sit down, get comfy
    - Close your eyes
    - Straighten your wrists and reach out to where your brain thinks your grips should be.
    - Adjust bars as close as possible.

If you're way off, might want to try some different bars.
    giving this a shot tonight, thanks for the details. Just the right hand gets tingly, I think it's because the left does nothing at all and the right has to hold that throttle wide open to the posted speed limit.

Spyder Garage

It's pretty much all been covered...when looking at gloves, gel pads in the palms are a big plus in my book.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    giving this a shot tonight, thanks for the details. Just the right hand gets tingly, I think it's because the left does nothing at all and the right has to hold that throttle wide open to the posted speed limit.
    When doing the eyes closed thing, it helps to have a ruler, or similar in each hand. The position and angle become more obvious.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to try out a "throttle lock" to let me relax my right hand from time to time on long stretches of road.
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

My wife's hands used to get numb after a short while. I didn't care for the stock bars so I bought a new one from RevZilla called Renthal. They're more like a normal motorcycle bar. Plus, I put foam grips on. So far that's resolved the numbing issue.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Recently there was a report on installation of a Rostra cruise control. That might be considered. I use cruise on my '21 RTL a lot, and did on my GL1800. Sometimes I miss it on the GL1000.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    My wife's hands used to get numb after a short while. I didn't care for the stock bars so I bought a new one from RevZilla called Renthal. They're more like a normal motorcycle bar. Plus, I put foam grips on. So far that's resolved the numbing issue.
    Which bar did you get ?

Spyder Garage

Weighted bar ends might work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Which bar did you get ?
    I got these... https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-78-handlebar
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    I replaced the stock bars with the very customizable Helibars. i also use a throttle boss to rest the right hand on the throttle. Relieves the tension in that right hand. Have transferred it from one bike to another through the years. Wouldn’t be without it. Also have the foam over-grips which I have put on all my bikes. Also I wear gloves.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Fan of the old British air cushion grips ...

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Try loosening your grip. A lot.
    I'll put my money on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    I replaced the stock bars with the very customizable Helibars. i also use a throttle boss to rest the right hand on the throttle. Relieves the tension in that right hand. Have transferred it from one bike to another through the years. Wouldn’t be without it. Also have the foam over-grips which I have put on all my bikes. Also I wear gloves.
    Those Helibars look really nice but are kind of expensive. Do you use the Can Am bars for your Ryker or do other ones fit as well?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Those Helibars look really nice but are kind of expensive. Do you use the Can Am bars for your Ryker or do other ones fit as well?
    I don’t have a Ryker. i own a 2021 Spyder RTL.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...