Spyder Garage

Default Replacing Top Case with Rear Fairing inc Issues

I made a video on how I raise the top case on my 2021 F3 Limited. I do not know if this method works for all F3 Limiteds.

During my own research, I found out many others also want to know how to raise the top cases on the F3 Limited. I finally figured it out and want to share in case this can help anyone else…this is my first how-to video, so let’s keep the video / audio criticisms to a minimum.

I needed to raise the top case in order to remove it when not in use replacing it with a rear fairing / fender. I recently received my rear fender but have not completed the top case removal process due to discovering a few things NOT mentioned in the owner’s manual which prevents easy removal...such as an extra wire going from the inside the top case through the bike frame, etc..

Ryde on…

Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Where did u get the key you used to turn top case removal lock ?

Spyder Garage

where were you able to get a rear fender/fairing to put on when the case is off. I asked the dealership about one for my 21 F3L and they said it was not available... I then asked how they had them on the F3T's. They had no answer. Thanks
    BTW, I did just the reverse for my wives RT, I purchased a rear trunk to put on, so I removed the rear fairing off her 2020 RT and put the case on, wired it and locked it down. Works great, speakers, break light, open trunk warning... everything. Very happy with it. (hard to spend the $1600, but feel it was worth it.)
    2021 Limited , Lava Red

Spyder Garage

Tool comes with the purchase. Was just in the trunk. (mine was, and that's what i saw at the dealership on all the limited models).
    2021 Limited , Lava Red

Spyder Garage

Default Top Case Removal Issues

Title should be: Replacing Top Case with Rear Fairing Issues

@Jbird

- My top case release key was in the top case when I bought the bike.
    - Yes, I was able to get a rear fairing...the dealership ordered it when I bought the bike. I do not know the part number. Underneath the fairing has markings which look like PC + ABS and BRP 70800.

20210729_134419.jpg 20210726_184715.jpg 20210726_184711_LG.jpg

-**Unless someone else knows more...I have concluded BRP did NOT make the F3 Limiteds where you can remove the top case and put a rear fairing on them...at all. It's ridiculous.

There are 3 major issues preventing me from simply removing the top case and replacing it with the fairing...

20210726_182749.jpg

1. There are two screw posts towards the back of the bike frame where the top case mounts which do NOT allow the rear fairing to go down all the way flush with the bike. There is a 1-2" gap making the bike look weird. So, if they can be unscrewed, then I might do that...but, I'm nervous I won't get them back in correctly and screw up the top case mounting setup. Or, put holes in the fairing and allow those posts to come through...but, then I have 2 ugly posts showing.

20210727_192719.jpg 20210727_192545.jpg 20210727_191408.jpg 20210727_191949.jpg

2. There are 3 legs underneath the fairing which slide into the bike's frame...but, due to the top case's mounting setup, only the middle leg can be inserted. The top case's locking housing mechanism in the bike's frame uses those two outer slots. So, either I have to remove the locking housing frame piece...NOPE...way too much of a hassle...or cut off the two outer legs and use the center leg only or attach with velcro.

20210726_183452.jpg 20210726_182814.jpg 20210726_183631.jpg 20210726_183701.jpg

3. There are two holes where the fairing mounts behind the passenger seat. However, BRP did not put anything in them to screw / bolt the fairing. So, I am trying to figure that out as well. There is no way to get a nut underneath…that’d be too easy. I tried drywall anchors…they fell in the d@mn holes trying to tightening the screws.

20210727_185955.jpg 20210727_165411.jpg

I would love to have the drop-top feel by changing out the top case with the rear fairing with no more than disconnecting the ground, split / quick disconnect the black wire and then waterproof / cap the large primary wiring quick disconnect.

20210712_141642.jpg 20210726_182837.jpg

This is what she will look like when the work is done…hopefully.

20210726_180549.jpg
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-29-2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added note about title of this post being about fairing not rop case removal

Spyder Garage

i got no tool in my truck, but it turns easy with a crecent wrench, that as far as i got, i was going to do this, but if its such a hassle, im not going to do it, i thought it would be an easy couple min. job.. tks for the heads up...

why would canam not make this a easy swap out. stupid..
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Ok...I believe I have a solution...I will share asap.

Spyder Garage

It looks to me that you have to remove the two side screws to take that mounting plate off the bike that will take the two posts that are in your way with it and open the slots for your back legs up!! Then go to your hardware store, the one that should have a good selection of fasteners, and such,, they make a rubber plug with a shoulder on it with a captured nut in it that may fit in them holes, then you have to come up with a bolt, washer set up that will fit this plug assembly, the more you tighten it the more it expands in the hole and it will not back out without taking the bolt back out! They use them to hold snowmobile windshields on the hoods, they work great!!! If you need a picture of one I may have one in the shop, PM me!! Good luck, if you was next door I think I could help!!!
    P.S The more I look at the cover sitting on top of the back end, even when you remove the junk so it will sit down, you have that raised lip piece in the middle, and you cover looks to be straight across with no indent to receive that, you sure that's the right cover for your set up?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hey @Mikey - Good call...and get out of my head.

Monday afternoon, I took those two bolts out and shaved off the two outer legs, and the fairing sat down. I found out the bolts are called strikers, and I order a few more to keep on hand.

I also ordered a few retaining clips for the leg and my new wrap / decal / detailer guy had a few plastic rivets which worked for the front 2 holes. I ordered some of those as well. I ordered these from cheap cycle parts. I've worked with them before...not very fast on delivery, but genuine OEM's.

Part numbers (if anyone wants to know): Striker - 708303392, Edge Clip - 517302785, Tuflok Plastic Rivet - 293150230. NOTE: These parts are technically for the F3 T, but as you know a lot of what's on a T, will work on a Ltd, etc..

I have a temporary hold fastening on the fairing's leg using industrial velcro which will not leave a sticky film when removed. I will remove it when I get the clip.

The fairing was ordered by the dealership. I do not have a part number...but, I just called Pitbull for it...they are to return my call with the part number they ordered.

I am not taking off anymore. I went on a group ride last eve, and the fairing held on as expected. So far, this is my personal solution for taking off the top case and replacing it with a fairing quick. I can do now this procedure within 5 min +/-.

I wish you were next door as well...I have almost lost the child-like wonder and excitement of getting a new bike due to the friggin' vibrations / shakes in the front end. Neither Pitbull and Head Motors can figure it out. I just called Cowtown and was told about the same thing...doubt they can do more than the other places. All are about 3-6 weeks out on service appointments. I kinda wish I had my '14 ST-S back I traded...it was sweet clean and rode great.

BTW, I have a belt tensioner, sway bar, links and King shocks. I have another Spyder friend who is willing to help me eliminate possibilities by putting his wheels on my bike...test ride to see if the vibrations are still there. If they are, then put his shocks on mine and try those.

If neither of those work...I will try the Road Force wheel balancing machine. I read about this from other ryders who tried a lot of things which did not work, but this did...ugh, it's worth a try. There are a lot of auto dealerships and tire shops who have this machine...however, none have the adapter, cone, etc. to fit these wheels. So, another issue.

I talked with King and PPA...neither had any suggestions.

So, I am on my own with a very expensive custom bike which isn't fun to ride at 55+ mph.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 08-04-2021 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes

Spyder Garage

Default Project Update

So some time has past, can you give us an update on this project!

Spyder Garage

I took my front tires to an auto tire shop to be mounted and they said they could not balance them with their machine.
    As I was watching them I asked if they could turn the wheel around on their machine and try inserting the cone from the back.
    They did and it worked perfect.
    Took the bike out for a test and at 95mph she was solid as a nut.
    Next set of front tires I'll be going back to the same shop.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

I really thought I had updated this...sorry ya'll. I'll update it first chance.

Spyder Garage

2019 F3-S

Don't have a top case, but I can swap between the passenger seat pad and the fender fairing by just puling the seat release. Five minute job.

Mine came with both the passenger seat and the fender fairing. Had a little issue with the dealer getting both, but showed them the advertisement in a magazine that says it comes with both, and they got them for me.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver