Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Headache from helmet

Before buying the HJC I-90 that I ordered online I tried for almost a year to find a place that had helmets that I could try on. Covid disrupted the supplies everywhere I tried had zero inventories and I finally give in and ordered the HJC helmet online. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to fit very well I didn't have any trouble taking it on and off I wear glasses and hearing aids they wasn't a problem. However last couple rides I've been noticing a slight headache in the front of my forehead above my eyes. I had discovered that if I left the chin lid open that it didn't really mess with the airflow over the helmet and it seemed to lessen the problem of the slight headache.

Today I went on a longer ride and it lasted for probably about 3 and 1/2 hours. Almost the whole time I had to leave the chin bar on the modular helmet up to avoid the headache being too severe. Towards the end of the ride it was starting to really bother me. I know that many of you will say will the helmet just doesn't fit me but if you can't even try them on and even if you did try them on you really don't see the problem until you've worn a helmet for several hours while riding, filing a correct fit seems almost impossible.

So how can I fix this if I even can. Honestly the helmet feels it's the right fit and I'm at the low in of a extra large so we'll within the specs of the sizing of my head. I really like everything about the helmet except that headache that progressively gets worse above my eyes.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

If you're getting forehead pain, the lid is too round for your head. You need a more oval lid and possibly go down a size.
    This may help. https://www.lidpicker.com/free-data
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have the exact same helmet which i purchased from Revzilla earlier this year.
    I wear a medium in all helmets but HJC. Ordered the large.
    I have worn HJC helmets for years and like them well except the foam pads are SO thick. This same problem is prevalent in all HJC helmets I have owned. Mainly they are so tight in the cheeks that it pushes my skin into my mouth and i have actually bitten the inside of my cheeks.
    The pads do not break in with use very soon at all.
    You can order smaller mm pads but nobody has them right now…I am on a waiting list at Revzilla.
    Webbikeworld.com reviews on HJC helmets state this shape is Oval. I think Revzilla mentioned this in their review also.
    One can take the pads to an upholstery shop to see if they will cut the foam down and resew the lining properly.
    I have put wedges inside the helmet to try and squish them flatter. Dont know if it has worked or not as I bought a different helmet to use for summer and saving the I90 for winter…keeping the wedges in til then or if the smaller mm pads finally become available.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Is it pushing your cheeks when you close the front? If it is maybe your cheek pads are to large and when you lock it in, it is tightening the rest up! I get that with my snowmobile helmet if i wear any thing else under it other than my head! Can wear one of those light full face neck warmers. HJC use to make differant size pads for there helmets, don't know if they do now.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    Before buying the HJC I-90 that I ordered online I tried for almost a year to find a place that had helmets that I could try on. Covid disrupted the supplies everywhere I tried had zero inventories and I finally give in and ordered the HJC helmet online. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to fit very well I didn't have any trouble taking it on and off I wear glasses and hearing aids they wasn't a problem. However last couple rides I've been noticing a slight headache in the front of my forehead above my eyes. I had discovered that if I left the chin lid open that it didn't really mess with the airflow over the helmet and it seemed to lessen the problem of the slight headache.

Today I went on a longer ride and it lasted for probably about 3 and 1/2 hours. Almost the whole time I had to leave the chin bar on the modular helmet up to avoid the headache being too severe. Towards the end of the ride it was starting to really bother me. I know that many of you will say will the helmet just doesn't fit me but if you can't even try them on and even if you did try them on you really don't see the problem until you've worn a helmet for several hours while riding, filing a correct fit seems almost impossible.

So how can I fix this if I even can. Honestly the helmet feels it's the right fit and I'm at the low in of a extra large so we'll within the specs of the sizing of my head. I really like everything about the helmet except that headache that progressively gets worse above my eyes.
    A common problem. Another problem is that stores which do carry helmets that you can try on are many times more interested in selling you what they have, than what you need. I've had customers get HORRIBLE advise (and helmet) from a helmet selling store. It helps to know what you are doing and not have to depend on a sales person.

If you have a good amount of room side-to-side, and tight front-to-back, then RayBJ is correct. The helmet is too round for your head. But to put this in perspective. The I-90 is an 'Intermediate Oval' head shape. This is the shape that fits the most number of people. But you have those on either side of the middle. Some will have a Round Oval head (more like a basketball) and some will have a more Long Oval head (more like a football). You may lean towards the football end of the spectrum. But it may be that your head does not fit the 'Norm' in other ways as well.

My opinion, if you can wear that helmet for a period of time without getting a headache. Then you may be close enough to just go with some small alterations. I didn't check to see if you can get different head liners for this helmet. This is where you would need to go for issues above the eyes. If you can, purchase a liner one step thinner than what you currently have for the helmet. This is usually enough to give you relief.

But a simpler, less expensive approach for SLIGHT changes is the old SPOON method. Pinpoint where the contact is that is giving you issues. Pull the liner back and mark, in Sharpie, these areas. Take the spoon and gently press the Styrofoam in slightly. 1/8" is usually a good start. Then try the helmet again. Repeat this until you get comfort.

Be aware that having already suffered headaches from this helmet. You will notice pressure and pain sooner. Your head remembers those pressure points and starts warning you sooner than it did when it didn't realize the pain was coming.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-24-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BajaRon... feel this helmet is a very close fit. I have no issues with a helmet with the lid closed or open with any pressure points whatsoever anywhere except on my forehead. And then I wouldn't call it a pressure point it's just seems like it gives me slight headache that increasingly gets worse as I wear it longer. Your method of using this spoon maybe something that I'm going to try I need to look at the helmet closer. Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth contacting HJC to see if they have thinner pads it would fit this helmet as Mikey mentioned?
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

BajaRon... feel this helmet is a very close fit. I have no issues with a helmet with the lid closed or open with any pressure points whatsoever anywhere except on my forehead. And then I wouldn't call it a pressure point it's just seems like it gives me slight headache that increasingly gets worse as I wear it longer. Your method of using this spoon maybe something that I'm going to try I need to look at the helmet closer. Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth contacting HJC to see if they have thinner pads it would fit this helmet as Mikey mentioned?
    Changing cheek pads is not going to help your headache issue. Cheek pads must be tight to be effective. But they should not cause you to bite the inside of your cheeks. Keep in mind, that any padding of decent quality will take a set, molding to your particular face and head over a few hours of wearing it. So it will be less tight once it takes this set. This is why, if you purchase a helmet that fits your perfectly new, it will be too lose once this set process is complete.

Usually, if there are pressure points in the forehead area. You can wear the helmet for 30 minutes or so, take it off, look in the mirror, and you'll have red spots that will tell you where the problem is. I recommend watching television with your helmet on (chin strap cinched up) just like you were riding. My family gives me some grief for the way I look when I do this. But I'm a big boy now. I can take it! Watching TV will distract you so that you don't feel anything right away. Then match up the red spots with the same location on the helmet. And proceed from there. It may take a few runs to get it just right. But usually, you can get it right the 1st time. The main thing is to try and get relief with the minimum amount of modification. You can always take more away, but you can't put it back.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: read = red ;-)

Spyder Garage

I agree with RayJB and experienced the same thing with an HJC when I tried one at the time I bought my Spyder except for me the HJC fit was an instant migraine because it is designed for more round heads. You could try, although I SPECIFICALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND attempting to compress the lining at the front of the helmet to relieve the pressure on your forehead. We all make occasional mistakes, some more costly than others, but it's your head, your helmet and your wallet. Close counts only in horse shoes and hand grenades; bite the bullet and buy a helmet that fits correctly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have used HJC for many years and I have had the forehead pain issues with all but one of them. I did the "spoon" treatment to mine and it worked well. My last helmet I did a lot of research into head shapes. Revzilla has pretty good info on this subject. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Shoei helmet. The fit is great and even though it was tight during break in it gave me no discomfort. I guess heads are like feet. Not all the same size OR shape.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    ...I finally bit the bullet and bought a Shoei helmet. The fit is great and even though it was tight during break in it gave me no discomfort. I guess heads are like feet. Not all the same size OR shape.
    Exactly why I went with my Neotec. After 45 min with it on in the dealership all I felt was tightness in the cheek pads which went away with use. Yes, a good bit more than the HJC but worth every buck. I have a Neotec II on order now.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have an HCJ i10 that gave me headaches. Of course I didn't realize that I could just buy different size padding so I bought a larger helmet. In that style, I have to wear a XXL. Odd thing is, I measured my head like the suggested and my wife's head was roughly the same size but hers fits without issues.

That's the problem with buying from a website and not being able to try it on first. Not many places near me carry a decent selection of helmets so it's hit or miss.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

That's why I went with Cycle Gear. You have 30 days to wear the helmet. I returned mine after 10 days. Felt great in the store. Returned it, got a different make. Wife also returned hers for a size larger. Cycle Gear was great. No questions asked. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

The spoon modification works!!!
    I wore an HJC Modular for several years when riding 2 wheels.
    It fit well except for a pressure point in the front of my forehead.
    Solved the issue by adjusting the foam with a big spoon.
    Good Luck.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I love my HJC fit (I have had quite a few - one hanging in the garage with the scars to remind me why we wear them), but always need to relieve the temple area on a new one. I've used an object like a pool ball quite effectively for that. Just in the front right and left temple area for me. The cheek pads don't break in on any of the HJCs I've had. Get smaller pads (check eBay - they are often there).
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

This thread on this website helped me immensely. https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-t...oblem.1338421/
    I found that I was a round head, not an intermediate oval like 70% of the people and my Arai Quantum x fits like a glove. I aslo went to Cycle Gear and tried on every helmet they had in the store.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    This thread on this website helped me immensely. https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-t...oblem.1338421/
    I found that I was a round head, not an intermediate oval like 70% of the people and my Arai Quantum x fits like a glove. I aslo went to Cycle Gear and tried on every helmet they had in the store.
    Thanks, I'm going to make those. Great idea.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Different brands fit different. Arai does not fit me. I like Shoei

Spyder Garage

I had a helmet that fit great, but like you it gave me head aches. It was quiet heavy as helmets go and over time my neck would hurt as well as the head. I got a different lighter helmet and problem went away. I am unfamiliar with the brand you have, and not sure how heavy it is, but that could be an issue as well. If it fits well it might just be to heavy?
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    I had a helmet that fit great, but like you it gave me head aches. It was quiet heavy as helmets go and over time my neck would hurt as well as the head. I got a different lighter helmet and problem went away. I am unfamiliar with the brand you have, and not sure how heavy it is, but that could be an issue as well. If it fits well it might just be to heavy?
    Although I don't have anything to compare too, I don't think so. When I first put this helmet on, 3 things surprised me. The field of view, not heavy, ease getting off/on.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

The worse helmet headache I ever had was from a distorted face shield affecting my eyes! Something to consider also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGoldwingOwner View Post
    Different brands fit different. Arai does not fit me. I like Shoei
    It is true that different brands fit differently. Even different models within a brand, listed as the same head shape, can fit slightly different. However, to say that an Arai helmet does not fit you, Did you know that Arai is the only helmet manufacturer to make more than 1 head shape. As a matter of fact. Arai makes models in all 3 major head shapes. Long Oval, Intermediate Oval, and Round Oval. This is why you will hear people say; 'I have a Shoei (or a KBC, an HJC etc.) head'. Because all other manufactures make their helmets in only 1 head shape. They either fit, or they don't.

People will try on an Arai helmet, and when it doesn't fit their head shape, assume that Arai helmets do not fit their head. It is poor customer service to let a person leave with that idea.

Generally speaking, about 80% fit into an Intermediate Oval Head Shape. Then 10% in each of the other 2. I think 80% is too high a number for the Intermediate. But they do a lot of research and that's what they say.

Bottom line, it is a rare head that will not fit well into one of the 3 different head shapes Arai Offers. Add to this that both the head liner and cheek pads come in several different thicknesses, and you have an extremely adaptable helmet, and probably no need for a spoon. I am not saying that Arai is the helmet for every person. Because there is more to a helmet than fit. But fit is where you need to start. Because if the helmet does not fit (as is the case, they tell us, with 70% of the non-professional riders out there). Then it cannot protect you in an accident. Proper fit is essential.

Web Bike World is an independent, neutral, honest and knowledgeable company that offers excellent information on just about every aspect of many very popular helmets. You will find extensive data from head shape to weight to features to quality construction, noise, comfort and more on their web site. I never buy a helmet without checking their site. I send people there all the time. You just can't know too much about your helmet. The information can save you a lot of time and efffort.

Here is a link to so very interesting information that every rider who is serious about protecting their head should know.
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...t-head-shapes/
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-29-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

I second Webbikeworld.com! That is where I learned SO much about helmets.

Long before I found webbikeworld I originally had a Shoei full face that was HEAVY. Then I was given an Arai that a friend won at a rally but would not fit him. No idea what model it was. Was open face with a shield on front. Fit well…lots of air flow.
    Now many years later I was going to try the Arai again over the HJC but they refuse to make a modular helmet and I prefer that style for winter.
    I think HJC is one of the lighter-weight helmets and also has a nice wide field of view, plus a tract for glasses, but fit can be a problem.

I still have the HJC I90 (for winter) and am still wrestling with the too large cheek pads.. smaller not available anywhere except Dennis Kirk and they want shipping on it of $7.99. I needed a summer helmet and was at Cyclegear to buy the dual SENA 50S system and tried on a Sedici open face. Fit really well right off the bat, was the right color, and the salesman installed the SENA in it for me. Put on a long, dark face shield (it came with a clear) and am really appreciating this helmet for summer in Texas. It also has the drop down internal visor.

Hope you find a helmet that suits you soon. Keep us informed as to your progress.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

The saga continues. For anyone interested following this thread I made out of cardboard the sculptures caliper as described in the video Pirate posted here. After taking two sets of measurements and getting inconsistent results I ended up running a ring of masking tape around my head and had my wife mark the hours on the clock on the tape around my head. This helped placement of a caliber to where I was getting more accurate results. Not sure as to the accuracy but it was more consistent and the thing that glared at me was my head is not a perfect oval. I've got a little bulge on my left forhead and a little recession on my right forehead.

Sooooo changing brand of helmet or the size of a helmet isn't going to address the problem of my unevenly shaped head which is probably characteristic of a lot of us. The unevenness was no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch but pretty sure it cause the headache. Using the back side of an ice cream scoop I mash down on the forehead area on the left side of my helmet but I found that the padding was pretty tough. I did get it mashed just a bit. Then under the right side helmet pads I added a thin sheet of foam. Tried it on and my first blush at the feel of it.... It felt better. Won't get a chance to really test it out until probably Monday of next week but I'll report back how this worked out I have high hopes.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

The saga continues. For anyone interested following this thread I made out of cardboard the sculptures caliper as described in the video Pirate posted here. After taking two sets of measurements and getting inconsistent results I ended up running a ring of masking tape around my head and had my wife mark the hours on the clock on the tape around my head. This helped placement of a caliber to where I was getting more accurate results. Not sure as to the accuracy but it was more consistent and the thing that glared at me was my head is not a perfect oval. I've got a little bulge on my left forhead and a little recession on my right forehead.

Sooooo changing brand of helmet or the size of a helmet isn't going to address the problem of my unevenly shaped head which is probably characteristic of a lot of us. The unevenness was no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch but pretty sure it cause the headache. Using the back side of an ice cream scoop I mash down on the forehead area on the left side of my helmet but I found that the padding was pretty tough. I did get it mashed just a bit. Then under the right side helmet pads I added a thin sheet of foam. Tried it on and my first blush at the feel of it.... It felt better. Won't get a chance to really test it out until probably Monday of next week but I'll report back how this worked out I have high hopes.
    Thanks for the update. I used the door method mentioned in the thread I posted, not the caliper one (caliper is prob more accurate). Put my head in the closet door and closed it then slowly remove my head and measure the space, both front and back. That at least gave me my head shape.

Spyder Garage

Something else that I have done to a helmet that put pressure on my forehead and caused a headache is pulling back the liner in that area and taking a razor knife and actually shaving out some of the styrofoam and then pulling the liner back over it and trying it. May take several tries to get it just right, but it will work! Good luck! Nothing any more uncomfortable than an ill-fitting helmet to me!
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow