Spyder Garage

Default Picking up a used 2019 RLT. Any things to look out for?

Flying out Monday to pick up a low mileage, 2019 RTL. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for other than the usual tires, oil, lights, dash, maintenance records, etc.? Any specifics to look for when test driving? This is a cash transaction, so when I drive away, it's my problem if there is an issue.

Spyder Garage

Belt condition and adjustment. Be very sure to check tire pressure too. I flew out to pick up my former Spyder too. The tires looked good. Dealer aired up to almost 40#s (which I didn't know) and after 1,000 miles, a little over half way home, the rear was bald down the middle and had to be replaced on the road. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Look underneath at the front. There’s a skid plate ( plastic) to see if it has problems with damage from rocks etc. Clearance is minimal.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

Ask for documentation of the of laser alignment. You may not be able to see any noticeable tire wear the would indicate an alignment problem but if the Spyder will not track straight on a level road it may need an alignment. If it is a private sale ask the seller to provide a dealership VIN maintenance a service record check as well as safety recall verification although you can do the latter yourself. If purchasing from a dealership ask them to provide. If the two year factory warranty has not expired you may want to investigate purchasing a BRP B.E.S.T. extended warranty that does not have to be bought from the selling dealership. Shop IMotorsports for the best price.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your input. Good suggestions all. I'm packed and ready to head out first thing in the morning. I think I'm looking forward to the trip back almost as much as picking up the RTL. Been a while since I've done a road trip.

Spyder Garage

Where are you picking the Spyder up? Don't know your touring experience but may be able to offer suggested routes. Best wishes..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Where are you picking the Spyder up? Don't know your touring experience but may be able to offer suggested routes. Best wishes..... Jim
    Any suggestions would be welcomed Jim.

Quite a few years on several Goldwings, but had to give my last one up after figuring out I couldn't pick it after a tip-over in the parking lot. I've missed it for about three years and finally convinced myself that I deserve to get back on the road.

I'm picking up the RTL just north of Minneapolis and heading back west to Richland WA. I plan to stay on US12 and off the interstate as much as possible, my usual pattern. Probably no more than 5-6 early hours of road time a day and then get out of the heat around 1ish. An early stop gives me time to poke around the different towns. Aberdeen, Bowman, Billings, Missoula, Lewiston, then home.

I looked hard at going with a GL1800 trike, but the RTL called to me stronger. I assume that going from your GL1800 trike to a Spyder was a positive move?

Spyder Garage

From Missoula to Lewiston on hwy 12 you be going over Lolo pass. Very nice ride along river an up over the mountains. Nathan in Yakima,Wa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    From Missoula to Lewiston on hwy 12 you be going over Lolo pass. Very nice ride along river an up over the mountains. Nathan in Yakima,Wa
    As many years as I have lived in the Tri-Cities, I've never made it over Lolo pass. Looking forward to it.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a good riding plan. I did Goldwings for 30+ years. Went to a 2014 Spyder RTL that I rode home from Tulsa OK. A little over 3 years on the Spyder then back to my 2 wheel Goldwing for a year. Found out I was not the 2 wheel youngster that lives in my mind so I went to a Goldwing trike. You picked the perfect time of year for your trip. Staying off interstates and planning on making 50 miles for every hour on the road makes for a good low stress ride. Enjoy..... Jim
    Semper Fi