Spyder Garage

Default Brake light flasher turn signal override

Because the Ryker uses only two tail lights, a brake light flasher will display a confusing pattern when the brakes are applied with a turn signal active. For example, when braking on left turn, the left tail light is flashing and the right steady on with no brake light flasher. But, with a brake light flasher, the right tail light also flashes.

I designed and installed an override circuit that bypasses the brake light flasher when the turn signals are active.

With either turn signal on, capacitor C1 fully charges, turning on Q1 and Q2. Q2 bypasses the brake flasher module. When the turn signal flashes off, C1 gradually discharges but keeps the bypass transistor Q2 active for a few seconds - long enough to maintain the bypass until the turn signal flashes on again. When the turn signal flashing stops, C1 is fully discharged and the bypass disabled.

I used parts that I had on hand, but most any small signal diodes, NPN transistor, and p-channel FET will work.

I sealed the override module in shrink tubing and hot melt glue, wrapped it in foam, and stuffed it into a cavity behind the left tail light.

Brake Flasher Override.jpg
    override1.jpg
    override2.jpg
    override3.jpg
    override4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice.

I have not gotten close enough to a Ryker to examine the layout, but I would probably have considered adding a dedicated brake light with the flasher.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I installed an additional LED brake strobe on the Ryker last year and it functions as it should, has no effect when either of the signals are being used. It has 24 different flash patterns to choose from and all 24 patterns function as they should when using the signal or not.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I agree with the OPs observation that the brake light flashers and the turn signals display a confusing flash pattern when used together. That's some creative work he's done there. I wanted some more light options as well, ultimately wanting more lights overall for night time visibility, so I added separate turn signals, removed the turn signal function from the original two tail lights on the Ryker and added the flasher to them for braking. Here's what I've done so far if you havnt seen my other post:

https://youtu.be/gaUBFVhHOXY

Next I will be installing the Slingmod/TricLED finder lights. The red lights for the rear of the fender were intended to be marker/turn indicators, but that seems redundant to me now as I've already added separate turn signals on the rear. I will instead wire the red rear fender lights to be marker/brake lights. I think the yellow sequential lights I added to the rear will match well with the yellow sequential lights I'm adding to the sides of the fenders.
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

Nice job!!! I wished I knew more about pc boards and what not, I have a bad board in my welding machine and I am to the mercy of the repair shop, and all there going to do is swap it out, and guy that knew what he's doing could test it out and rebuild it! Good job Mr
    2012 RTL , Pearl