Spyder Garage

Default Brake pad replacement

I have a 2019 RTL with 3000 miles. I am getting a slight squeak from the left wheel when applying the brake. Doesn't happen every time. Seems to be more often when I have to stop quickly. Should the pads wear out so soon?

Spyder Garage

It is very unlikely that the pads are worn out, though it is easy to check. You probably just have the dredged 'Squeak' from brake pad dust buildup. There are several easy things you can do to cure this.

If the pads are worn out. It will almost surly be just 1 pad and indicates something seriously wrong with your brake system. Again, though possible, very unlikely. You would also be feeling a pull to one side when you applied the brakes if this were the case.

A good wash/scrub or even Emory paper on the rotors to get them clean.

Also, you can stop quickly from 60 mph to 20 mph in rapid succession 3 or 4 times to get the brakes hot. This will 'Bed' them in and should also give you relief. How long these action will last varies. But they can always be done again.

To check the pads, just look for uniform thickness on all 4 pads, (2 each side). They do not have to be identical. But they should be close.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-23-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Also, you can stop quickly from 60 mph to 20 mph in rapid succession 3 or 4 times to get the brakes hot. This will 'Bed' them in and should also give you relief. How long these action will last varies. But they can always be done again.
    And when you do the rapid stopping, you're going to smell the brakes. It's ok, you're supposed to. That's how you know the brakes are getting hot enough. And when Ron says stop quickly, he means to stomp on those brakes hard (no pumping). Very hard! Do it on a dry road with very little traffic. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM... very fast so the brakes stay hot. Just my two cents.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Ron and Copperman gave excellent advice. I will add, that after the quick stops and cleaning of the rotors, if the squeaking still persists, remove the pads and apply a thin veneer of DISC BRAKE QUIET to the backs of the metal plate. You will have to remove and replace the metal radiators to do this. Let dry for 15 minutes or more and gently replace. That should stop the squeaking that's caused by a harmonic vibration between those plates and the piston.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Actually I consider that the only way to break and brake pads. Particularly if they are semi metallic which most brakes are nowadays. And by the way Can-Am has the best brakes I’ve ever used. Saved me more than once.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the advice!!

Spyder Garage

No matter what we did as far as cleaning, de-varnishing and heat setting the OEM pads could we get the brakes to stop squeaking. Progressively got worse. Save yourself the hassle and just replace with the EBC HH sintered pads. 12K with no issues or squeaks.