Spyder Garage

Default Noob: How many "stupid" questions do I get?? This is a paint question.

Here's one. Let me know when I've met my quota!

My study tells me that matte paint gets treated differently than gloss.

My 2015 "denim blue" is a bit faded and I cannot judge if it was glossy to start with or matte.

Anyone know if the '15 model year did matte paint on the ST?

Or does anyone have a good way of determining gloss v matte finish?

I'm wanting to spiff things up a bit: thorough cleaning, perhaps a clay rub down, wax or one of the "ceramic" products to finish (any bull's eye advice on that process? I'm listening.)

Thanks, ladies and gentlemen

Spyder Garage

There is no 'Question Limit' here on Spyderlovers. I think there may be an 'Answer Limit' though!

It should be easy to determine Matte or Gloss. I am not familiar with your particular paint job. But you should be able to find locations where the paint has taken little or no sun. Behind a panel, for example. If these protected areas appear to be Matte, then it's all matte. If they are Gloss, then you have a greatly diminished Gloss paint job.

I suspect that because it isn't obviously Gloss, you have a Matte paint. But checking never hurts.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Good question.

There are some paint experts here, and they will come to the rescue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you can, post a couple up close pics.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

The matte finish has a very slight texture finish..... not smooth like glass. Hope this helps, and, welcome to SLs...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

If matte, there are polishes made for that at auto supply stores. So not use the kind of polish made for gloss finishes. Good luck.
    BTW....There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 11 RSS that had the Matt finish , but it was Copper color .... I recall there was a Med. Blue color that was also a Matt finish .... Check inside the frunk and give us the color code from Can-Am, ..... & ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There is no 'Question Limit' here on Spyderlovers. I think there may be a ["stupid" or Rule Breaching] 'Answer Limit' though!

ABSOLUTELY!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hey guys
    thanks for the warm affirmation. I figured there was no rule about questions and on other forums I've been the one with the experience and responded to noob's questions just as you did. Never thought to ask where vehicle identification info, e.g. paint codes, might be listed. I'll go out to the garage and take a look right after I hit <RETURN>
    I'm missing my two wheel transport, but health and age demanded I stop riding. My wife said "Why not three wheels?" Voila! a 2015 ST! She wouldn't ride with me on the 'cycle. She's now bugging me to go out on the Spyder. She and I took the intro to three wheeled cycles offered here and she did great. She's talking about Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Cranbrook and Bozeman trip this fall. I'm a lucky guy. OK: check for paint code

'

Spyder Garage

Never found any sticker that revealed a paint code. Looking at the body and under the seat and other places where the sun don't shine I'm guessing it's a matte finish 'cause it sure ain't shiny anywhere.
    Recommendations for a non-wax product for my blue-jean Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Just looked Lamonster's site where he put a paint code listing.
    It says for 2015 that "denim blue" has a "satin finish." There are no matte colors for that year, there are glossy, pearl and metallic. Some colors have no added description. So it's NOT matte, but satin.
    Which prompts another question: regular wax or something else??

Spyder Garage

My previous 2015 ST L is matte denim blue. Yours is definitely matte.
    They make a special soap and polish for matte colors.
    Pam
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

Gilda— Since you are a woman and you ride a Spyder it follows that I ought not underestimate you. I bow to your experience with a denim blue ST-L and say "Thank you" for straightening me out!
    I'll hunt down the correct matte paint care products.
    thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Gilda— Since you are a woman and you ride a Spyder it follows that I ought not underestimate you. I bow to your experience with a denim blue ST-L and say "Thank you" for straightening me out!
    I'll hunt down the correct matte paint care products.
    thanks again!
    No paint guru. But my understanding is that there is 'Gloss' and then different levels of 'Matte'. Satin needs a different treatment than a gloss finish. You can convert it to a Gloss finish with coats of clear gloss over the top. Not sure about plastic though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BajaRon et al—
    I've been reading the interweb's many articles on gloss v matte v satin and the consensus is that each is different and each requires its own wash/care products and practices. Who knew? Not me. Since BRP calls the 2015 Denim Blue "Satin" I guess it's satin. Fortunately caring for satin is little different from matte. I think I'll pretend it's matte and wash/treat accordingly.
    Thanks, everyone: this question opened up a world I'd never investigated: vehicle finishes. (BTW "matte", I learned isn't a paint, it's a finish, much like "gloss" is the result of clear coats on top of the color paint layers below.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    BajaRon et al—
    I've been reading the interweb's many articles on gloss v matte v satin and the consensus is that each is different and each requires its own wash/care products and practices. Who knew? Not me. Since BRP calls the 2015 Denim Blue "Satin" I guess it's satin. Fortunately caring for satin is little different from matte. I think I'll pretend it's matte and wash/treat accordingly.
    Thanks, everyone: this question opened up a world I'd never investigated: vehicle finishes. (BTW "matte", I learned isn't a paint, it's a finish, much like "gloss" is the result of clear coats on top of the color paint layers below.)
    The type of finish (matte, etc.) is actually determined by the chemistry of the paint or clear coat. It's not an "add-on" that can be applied later. Clear coat, like the paint, also has a "finish" that is determined by its chemistry.

Exactly how it's done, I haven't a clue; paint chemistry is beyond my pay grade for sure. But when you buy the paint, the finish is determined by the mix of compounds in the base stock. The color is added in the tinting process. Clear coat is the final, outside layer intended to preserve what's underneath.

Pretty cool stuff if you care I suppose. Paints - and other coatings - represent a process where both science and art contribute to the result.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Recently traded our 2015 Denim Blue ST after 5 years. Beautiful color, but never noticed any fading. It surely is a 'matte' finish but still had a little shine (IMO).
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

My (former) Spyder was done in Platinum Silver Satin finish. I don't know the difference between that and "matte" but thought they were pretty much the same. There was a texture to the finish. It did have some shine but was not glossy. Inside the frunk there was a sticker on the lid that said to not use polishes or waxes. That could result in a blotchy looking finish. Instead I just used very mild detergent and water. I think you can Google Can Am Satin finishes and find the straight scoop about care..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi