Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RSS - No 1st Gear - Any help/ideas?

Hey everyone. New to the Spyder group and bike itself. Purchased used 2014 RSS. Issue I'm having is there is no first gear showing on dash and I know first and reverse go hand in hand so therefore the reverse won't work. So when put in gear from neutral it goes right into second gear no first appears. No lights comes up on dash that there are any faults. But I did do the code check nothing shows not even NO faults appear on screen. Any help is greatly appreciated

Spyder Garage

Unhappy 2014 Spyder RSS - No 1st Gear - Any help/ideas?

Hey everyone. New to the Spyder group and bike itself. Purchased used 2014 RSS. Issue I'm having is there is no first gear showing on dash and I know first and reverse go hand in hand so therefore the reverse won't work. So when put in gear from neutral it goes right into second gear no first appears. No lights comes up on dash that there are any faults. But I did do the code check nothing shows not even NO faults appear on screen. Any help is greatly appreciated

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum & posting Neoajax - sorry it's gotta be with a problem! And that it's a bit hard to tell what might be wrong with your Spyder from the little info you've given us, but people have been looking in to see if they can help.

So in an attempt to get the ideas/discussion started, can you give us a bit more info?? .

1. Is your RSS a manual SM5 or is it an SE5?
    2. Have you actually tried to get reverse & can't, or is that just a supposition?
    3. What about running it - does the Spyder's engine actually start & run?
    4. If it does run, can you get it into any gear & get it moving?
    5. If it does get moving, can you run it up & down thru the gears while it's moving; and
    6. Can you count how many gears you've actually got if it's moving & you can select some gears?

Beyond those questions, another thought - what about the oil level - these Spyders have a Dry Sump system & a Wet Clutch, and the Engine & Gearbox/Clutch share the oil, so it's pretty important that you've got the right amount of oil in the reservoir - there is no real 'sump', but once you've stopped the engine, oil WILL very quickly start to drain out of the reservoir & back into the engine/trans, so you can't really/reliably check the oil level unless you check it within 2 mins of riding it for at least a minimum of 10 mins on the road, changing up & down thru the gears; or you've run the engine for long enough to get the oil up to its proper operating temperature - ie, run it for something MORE than 10 mins AND at least 2 fan activation cycles! Checking the oil level more than 2 mins after shutting it down after a ride; using the wrong technique; &/or checking it cold will ALMOST ALWAYS give you a Low reading, and adding oil to a cold Spyder engine/gearbox cos you think the oil level is low when you haven't run it is VERY likely to result in over-filling it.... and either Low oil levels or High oil levels can cause gear selection & change issues, or possibly even worse things!!

Over to you...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Good morning Sorry new to this so not sure what i should have posted information wise. So its a SM5 transmission, we changed oil to the XP oil and also all new brake pads were put on, we can't get into first so can't get reverse. It runs great 2nd - 5th gears no issues. On dash no error messages or codes. We did try the fault code check nothing comes across not even "no fault". Dash will show neutral then when we put in gear it goes right to 2nd, 1st gear doesn't show.

Spyder Garage

Stupid reply from me.

You do know you have to push the gear lever DOWN to engage 1st from neutral don't you
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are in Neutral, first gear is DOWN on the foot shifter. Second gear is UP. If it’s going straight into second gear, aren’t you going in the wrong direction? Oh, I see the goat got in ahead.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neoajax View Post
    Good morning Sorry new to this so not sure what i should have posted information wise. So its a SM5 transmission, we changed oil to the XP oil and also all new brake pads were put on, we can't get into first so can't get reverse. It runs great 2nd - 5th gears no issues. On dash no error messages or codes. We did try the fault code check nothing comes across not even "no fault". Dash will show neutral then when we put in gear it goes right to 2nd, 1st gear doesn't show.
    Thanks for that - now know we some of the info, but still need the other answers:

LIST 1
    1. Your RSS is a manual SM5.
    2. Have you actually tried to get it into reverse & can't? Or have you simply not tried cos you can't see 1st displayed on the dash?
    3. The Spyder's engine actually starts & runs.
    4. Since you said "It runs great 2nd - 5th gears", I guess we can assume that you can get it into a gear & get it moving.
    5. Same as above, I guess we can assume that you can run it up & down thru the gears while it's moving.
    6. Did you count how many gears you can actually get & if so, can you tell us how many? It might seem pedantic, but is it possible that you do actually have 5 gears only the display just isn't showing 1st/reverse? Or is it just that you're not pushing down on the shifter/selector as per the other replies above?

Further questions now.... sorry.

LIST 2
    1. When did this issue first arise, immediately after the oil change or was it there before that??
    2. When you changed the oil, how much did you put in?? 5qts, 6qts, or how much?
    3. When you changed the oil, was there any debris/metallic bits on the magnet in the drain plug?
    4. Did you change the oil filter too?
    5. Have you checked the oil level hot & using the correct method since that oil change?
    6. When checked hot & using the correct method, is the oil level showing anywhere between the low & full marks on the dipstick, or is it showing over-full or under-full??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes I know down for first then up shift. When you press down it doesn't engage. Also when you are are riding and down shift it is really hard to press

Spyder Garage

1. yes SM5
    2. tried reverse does nothing
    3. yes everything works but 1st and reverse
    4. yes drive able if you start in 2nd gear
    5. yes shifting is good except when down shifting it's really hard to press down but does go down
    6. went through all the gears but didn't count

1. bought it used that way I was aware of the issue
    2. when oil was changed the amount that was specified went in it
    3. no shaving or metal
    4. yes changed filter . I got the whole kit
    5. oil was checked hot and cold method
    6. Levels were correct

Spyder Garage

Oil level would not affect this in a SM5. ok - so lets skip reverse for a second... so do you have neutral (ie: can you downshift from 2nd to neutral ) and if so , once in neutral what happens when you clutch in and push down hard on the shifter ? nothing ? clunk? clatter?

Your description of being very hard to press down to downshift is telling .... initial observation from 10,000 feet , symptoms sound like bent shift fork BUT a ton of more diagnose needed. A bad reverse solenoid could cause no reverse but should not cause no 1st and would not have any bearing on the difficult/stiff downshift you mention.

Lastly did you check the clutch master cylinder reservoir on the left handlebar to ensure it is full of dot4 brake fluid? low fluid causes serious clutch drag on the sm5 and can cause difficult shifting. this would be evidenced by it wanting to creep forward while sitting still in second.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

when put in first I get nothing. It's like 1st disappeared. I have an appointment to get it looked at but there about a month out for service. Everywhere i call the are all backed up. So I thought i would come on here to see if anyone knew
    anything. It was worth a shot thinking maybe it was something stupid we were missing. I'm new to the spyder world so have no clue what it can be other than something internal.
    So was wondering if I have to the route that it is internal. Guy told me it's $96 an hour for labor if they take engine out looking at about 15 hours work thats $1500 just going in. My thought was maybe taking motor out ourselves
    and taking it to get repaired. Did you ever tackle that job? Easy or don't even attempt?