full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default For a 2014 RT, new shocks

Asking for a friend. He has a 2014 RT that the suspension is sacked. I went to the Fox website and all it shows is bicycle and Harley "stuff". Is that all the aftermarket stuff they are making now? Is he stuck either buying OEM replacements or quite expensive Elka or M2? He plans on keeping the bike for a few more years but the boss is getting hammered on the back as the suspension just bottoms on most bumps

Spyder Garage

An Australian mob called IKON sell shocks for Spyders that are pretty good & generally cheaper than those other options... great people to deal with too; might be worth checking them out.

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/

But there are some 'more local' to you providers who are Sponsors to this Forum - check out the listings on the Home page!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2021 at 02:53 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like my M2 so far.. they work so well that I don't need the compressor .

Spyder Garage

Trikemutha do you have the M2 on the front also? If so how are they?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Asking for a friend. He has a 2014 RT that the suspension is sacked. I went to the Fox website and all it shows is bicycle and Harley "stuff". Is that all the aftermarket stuff they are making now? Is he stuck either buying OEM replacements or quite expensive Elka or M2? He plans on keeping the bike for a few more years but the boss is getting hammered on the back as the suspension just bottoms on most bumps
    Suspension upgrade is not inexpensive, but priceless. Possibility of collateral damage from not doing the rear shock upgrade adds to the expense. Air assist shock damage, compressor in the rear if fitted, ride quality (already mentioned), ride performance, steering - too light in the front, a safety issue (like a small half ton truck going down the road with too heavy a load on) and a whole host of other possibilities. Even without the boss on the back, solo riding can be impacted. Get the suspension right and may keep the Spyder longer than a couple of years.

OEM replacements are expensive as well. Can your friend do his own work and have the space to do the work, shop time is expensive. I would expect the bill for new shocks and install could be some $2500.00 USD more or less.

I'm installing M2 shocks front/rear on my 2014 RT LE - Elkas were equivalent in price, but timeline for delivery not as quick. Had more option(s) regarding spring rate with the M2 shocks than with the Elkas. Fronts required me to take the front trunk off to get at the upper shock bolts. Refusing so far to remove the rear wheel to do the rear shock. A crows foot 15 mm is required to get past the installed compressor to get at the upper rear shock bolt nut - not a lot of room to work. Changing springs on the M2 shocks is quite easy, so if the spring rate for your riding style is not quite what you expect, springs can be changed easily. This is once the shock(s) in question have been removed.

Another possibility is to sell his Spyder especially if an upgrade is in the future. M2 shocks all round are $1500.00 USD with the Spyderlovers discount. Put this towards the new purchase, and factor in the shop time if this would be required to change the shocks.

Where is your friend located? Is he close to one of the aftermarket shock shops? If so, he could get the shocks and install done by the shock shop - possibility.

Is your friend a DIY fellow? There is a thread on here where h0grider did a DIY fix to the rear shock issue with part numbers for the work. Thread is: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ension+upgrade Good read, but takes some DIY skills. Read this and other threads, and this can be the least expensive option for your friend.

Options are:

1. Ride as is, get really disenchanted
    2. Bite the bullet and do the shock upgrade, keep the Spyder longer
    3. Upgrade to a newer Spyder - 2020/2021 version - better luggage arrangement and rear trunk if fitted, can accommodate two full face helmets

Some food for thought. JMHO. Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Trikemutha do you have the M2 on the front also? If so how are they?
    Yes I have them on the front and rear.

No complaints I really like the way they handle once you dial them in to your liking.

Same for the rear. My compressor never turns on anymore . Shock does all the work.

Spyder Garage

I have been told you can just about unplug the system and put 20lbs in the bag and forget about it! That way the bag will not get pinched and get a hole in it, on the case you are loaded to the gills and need a little more help, you could always plug it back in! But chances of that are slim to none, if your shock guy know what he's doing you will never need that lame system again! It is the weak link in my book! My 2 cents!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter -- I went to Ikon USA and they have both front and rear shocks for super prices. Except

Front Shocks are for an RT-Limited and I have an RT-S -- will they fit?

Rear Shock is for an RT and I have an RT-S with ACS -- will it fit?

I never quite got a chance to put Ikons on my motorcycles but always wanted to. Maybe this is my chance.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Go on cheapcycleparts.com and compare the two parts numbers! Chances are they will then you'll know they will fit!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Peter -- I went to Ikon USA and they have both front and rear shocks for super prices. Except

Front Shocks are for an RT-Limited and I have an RT-S -- will they fit?

Rear Shock is for an RT and I have an RT-S with ACS -- will it fit?

I never quite got a chance to put Ikons on my motorcycles but always wanted to. Maybe this is my chance.
    The answer is YES to both 'will they fit...?' questions!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

OK, I have to show my ignorance here. Remember, I ride an ST.

When you replace the rear, you STILL keep the air spring with/or instead of a metal spring? You don't just get rid of the air system completely?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    ..... When you replace the rear, you STILL keep the air spring with/or instead of a metal spring? You don't just get rid of the air system completely?
    The ACS on our Spyders does NOT really have an air spring at all, not unless you've already modded your rear suspension anyway! . So if you haven't done that modding, then your Spyder doesn't have an air spring either! . As they come from the factory, the appropriately optioned ST's & RT's DO have a normal motorcycle style shock with a metal coil spring around it AND a completely separate air bag & height monitoring/setting system that really does little except try to maintain a set static ryde height, IF it's working properly!!

So while you can chose to completely remove, disable, or even just bypass the ACS & it's air bag height setting abilities, most who replace the rear shock/coil assy with upmarket units don't bother doing any of that and they just fit a shock/coil assy that is capable of holding up the blunt end of the Spyder at an appropriate height WITHOUT any assistance from the ACS &/or it's air bag ever needing to come into play again! That helps keep the Nanny & all her onboard computer integration happy; and if you always try to keep maybe 5-10 psi in the air bag to avoid letting it kink/stretch as the suspension articulates, eventually damaging it over time, there's a reasonably good chance that if you ever do happen to load your Spyder up enough to need the ACS height setting to come into play again, it'll still work for you and do its thing as it should!

All of which means that the answer to your question bolded above is YES, you still keep the ACS & the air bag (which is NOT a spring!) WITH the replacement rear shock & metal coil spring assembly!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you Aawen. Now I understand. I admit, without knowing that the aribag/lift was just a ride leveling devise, some of the above didn't make sense. I will be seeing my friend today and will go over ALL of the information with him. What he does is his choice, but this will give him some direction.

Thank you to all for the information. As always, Spyder lovers to the rescue. I may be back with other questions if he has them. Or perhaps he should just sign up?????