Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak

Also on my 2010 RT SM5 there is an oil leak..I have checked the oil..it almost appears to have maybe been overfilled?? I have checked the oil level after running the engine as procedure described. I have also read about a water pump/oil leak? Looking for suggestions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-29-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: fixed designation--added "S"
    2010 RT SE 5 , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got to be a little more specific. Park on some newspaper if you can't find the source of the leak by simply looking or feeling around. Oil drip spots on the paper will give you a starting location to find the leak. Check your oil drain plugs to see if they are properly torqued down. Hopefully, it's just an under-torqued oil drain plug.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak 2010 RT - any ideas where from?

I have a 2010 RT Manual 21,000 miles. I have an oil leak. Not any of the drain plugs and not the oil filter cover. Any Ideas? Leaves half dollar size spot after every ride long or short. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.
    2010 RT SE 5 , Blue

Spyder Garage

That's the problem, it "could"be a lot of things. If it was over filled you need to suck the excess oil out. Next clean out the air box (lots of fun) and around the dip stick. While you have the air box out check the valve cover which would be my next candidate. After that start looking at the verious seams for a gasket failure. It's going to take some time and work,especialy if you can't see a problem right off. Good luck.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It could well be leaking from the rubber hose to airbox connection on the left side of the bike. The oil hose hardens over time. The hose clip looses sealing pressure because the rubber settled and the airbox connector is just plastic and gives under pressure of the hose clip. The fix is to get a wee length of metal tube, I used an offcut of copper central heating tube, can't remember whether it was 8mm or 10mm, 10mm I think. Anyway, flair one end slightly by forcing something slightly tapered into the end, it only needs to be flaired very slightly and you do this so the tube can't move into the airbox. Fit the tube into the plastic airbox connector by tapping it in gently, the flair to the outside, don't be cak-handed, gently does it. You can now afford to fit a good worm drive hose clip with no fear of crushing the plastic airbox connector as you tighten against the slightly hardened rubber hose.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gregp07 View Post
    I have a 2010 RT Manual 21,000 miles. I have an oil leak. Not any of the drain plugs and not the oil filter cover. Any Ideas? Leaves half dollar size spot after every ride long or short. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.
    I think what 2dogs was trying to say is, on what side is your drip now, left or right front or back, basically speaking? Have you had any covers off, what did you see? If it looks like it's coming from the right front area of the motor, sitting on the bike, yes you may want to check the weep hole on the water pump and see if you have any thing coming out of it!! And the best way to check your oil is right after a ride, get off and open your cover, and check it then, if too full pull some out! If there is too much oil all over the motor, or in one area to tell where its coming from, go to a auto parts store and get some degreaser, and hose your motor off and take it for a spin and check it out!!! Good luck, with out having it in front of me, that's all we can say about that!!! Good luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-28-2021 at 02:00 PM. Reason: two too's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many of the V twins (998) had oil in the air box problems...They would leak some oil out of the air box drains...There was a fix for this...BUT FIRST YOU NEED TO LOCATE THE SOURCE OF THE LEAK...