Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Ryker Rally - Luggage Question(s)

My wife has purchased a Ryker Rally and she loves it. I really like it too in all honesty. She's riding more and more and we are starting to do longer and longer trips. Now we're looking at luggage options. So far we've installed the LinQ plate and are using her BRP LinQ trunk from her sled (which is larger than the top case offered for the max mount) and she has a BRP tank bag. We're looking at the luggage available from SlingMods but to be honest I do not like how it's mounted. It just seems like it's too far back and all that weight levered out that far just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Are there any pannier options that are mounted closer to the rider? She'll never use her machine 2-up so we have that space that we can use for luggage.

I keep hoping that Givi will have options, but nothing that I've seen yet.

Thanks in advance.
    2020 Rally 900 , Heated Grips Black/Silver (with yellow accents)

Spyder Garage

Too me, the Slingmods setup is large (top case out of scale to the bike) and it is too far back (rearward), protrudes beyond the rear of the bike. And there are really no other options out there for side cases other than the Shad single side case on the right side. I have the exact setup that you describe. Linq accessory base, 5.5 gal Linq top case, and hard side saddlebags placed a little forward and higher so that they dont stick out beyond the rear of the bike. I purchased the side cases on Amazon on sale for $169. I had to make my own bracket for this to work. I'm not an engineer or machinist, so it took me some time experimenting around with the original concept, some trial & error cutting of the material, welding and grinding to the right lengths. Eventually I had a good solid bracket.

The finished product turned out pretty good. I ended up with a bracket that sits on top of the Linq plate and allows the top case to easily be attached or detached to the base, and the side cases bolt to each side of the bracket. This bracket is painted black and bolted to the Linq plate, and then attached to the Max Mount underneath with the brackets that came with the side cases. I painted the lid inserts on each side case to match the Liquid Steel trim of the Rally Edition.

With backrest
    Last edited by RykerRick; 07-22-2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added image
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Well, that is exactly what we've been looking for. I guess I know what to do. Buy a set of panniers and their racks, and then have a bracket made using your pictures as a guide. Thank you for this, I really appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

I love Rick's set up and may go that route some day, but for now this is my set up for local travels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    I love Rick's set up and may go that route some day, but for now this is my set up for local travels.
    I like your setup, the black leather bags look good and match the bike well. Nice touch with the checkered decal on the rear fender too.

Well, that is exactly what we've been looking for. I guess I know what to do. Buy a set of panniers and their racks, and then have a bracket made using your pictures as a guide. Thank you for this, I really appreciate it.
    These are the dimensions of the bracket, in case you or someone else wants to make one. Also, any local welding shop or fabricating shop should be able to make this pretty easily since they have the equipment. Just needs to be heavy enough gauge steel so that it doesnt bend or flex while under load.

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick Glad you like my set up, just made from what I had on hand. Still need to paint the fasteners black. What thickness bar stock did you use to fab the rack?

Spyder Garage

Wow, double post, dont know how that happened. Edited to get rid of this one.

Spyder Garage

I have the linq top-case, slingmods luggage rack, and the right-side saddle bag. The luggage rack gives you the most storage because you can throw things on it and bungie cord it down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    I have the linq top-case, slingmods luggage rack, and the right-side saddle bag. The luggage rack gives you the most storage because you can throw things on it and bungie cord it down.
    Yeah I've seen it. Its large enough to strap a large duffle bag on if necessary. You could do some pretty lengthy long distance journeys and carry enough for the entire trip.

Spyder Garage

Default The large rack?

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    I've seen that also and considered it. Again, it's levered out past the end of the max mount and according to SlingMods, only has a 15# weight limit. Placing luggage directly over or adjacent to the max mount would give you the best advantage for weight distribution and allow for the most weight carried. I've toured on motorcycles for many years and weight distribution and paying attention to the manufacturer's recommendations are a big deal. The last thing you want is a broken sub-frame or rack mount 1500 miles from home.

I know that I worry too much, but that comes from the experiences I've had.

Spyder Garage

Yup, saw the 15 lb limit, but it does seem sturdy enough. I don't plan on hauling lumber or anything like that. lol Most I'll put on it is a backpack with some essentials in there for a long trip. Also I think if somebody fender bended you they'll likely run into the rack first since it sticks out farther than the fender.

Spyder Garage

I think that the weight limits posted on items are for liability purchase. Like the Max Mount has a sign to not seat on it, but can am sells a back seat for that purpose.

Spyder Garage

I think that the weight limits posted on items are for liability purchase. Like the Max Mount has a sign to not seat on it, but can am sells a back seat for that purpose.
    I agree, sometimes manufacturers are confusing.

Spyder Garage

IMG_2079.jpg
    $80 top box from Comie (Amazon). Mounted in 15 minutes. Works great, matches the Ryker.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

RykerRick that looks sharp! What paint specifically did you use?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    RykerRick that looks sharp! What paint specifically did you use?
    I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover, Metallic Aluminum #249128. Got it from Amazon and its a really good match. Also, the lid looks darker than it really is.

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick. What size and thickness of metal did you use for you saddle bag rack?

Spyder Garage

I bought the kit from slingmods because the wife wants a place big enough to store her helmet. It really doesn't look that bad if you ask me. The top case does protrude a bit but with the new seat (again from slingmods), it actually looks really nice. I'll be posting pics of it soon; if the rain ever stops here.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I've been looking at LinQ options for sleds and from some companies that aren't BRP. There's more and more available all the time. We found something that will believe will work for us. BRP offers a 40-liter waterproof bag with a LinQ base. We are ordering it tomorrow when the shop opens.

Here's a link: https://shop.ski-doo.com/us/en/71500...tight-bag.html

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker luggage

My 2020 Ryker 900 luggage setup: Max Mount, Lamonster Garage IPS rack with saddlebag standoffs, GIVI MonoKey universal plate, GIVI 52 liter MonoKey top case, 2 Nanuk 915 waterproof cases (with added latch locks). Interior volume of Nanuk 915 cases: (796 cu.in | 0.46 cu.ft | 13 L) Top case can be easily removed or exchanged with other Givi MonoKey luggage. Side cases are bolted on (see attached photo) and can be removed easily, but not as quickly as top case, by removing the 4 bolts on each case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I like the shad hard saddle bag and I'm surprised nobody has made a left side mount.

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick. What size and thickness of metal did you use for you saddle bag rack?
    I used 3/16 cold roll steel plate. I cannot bend it by human strength, I tried after welding it together. Even though I had it all clamped up into place at its 90 degree angle, the heat from welding caused one of the side pieces to slightly go inwards. had to use two vises to get it back into its original 90 degree angle.

I like the shad hard saddle bag and I'm surprised nobody has made a left side mount.
    I agree about the Shads, I have a set on my Kawasaki, they look great and hold up very well. I think the way they have the single side setup on the Ryker, well it looks like something fell off as you were going down the road. I also think it sits a little too low.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michaelalvis View Post
    My 2020 Ryker 900 luggage setup: Max Mount, Lamonster Garage IPS rack with saddlebag standoffs, GIVI MonoKey universal plate, GIVI 52 liter MonoKey top case, 2 Nanuk 915 waterproof cases (with added latch locks). Interior volume of Nanuk 915 cases: (796 cu.in | 0.46 cu.ft | 13 L) Top case can be easily removed or exchanged with other Givi MonoKey luggage. Side cases are bolted on (see attached photo) and can be removed easily, but not as quickly as top case, by removing the 4 bolts on each case.
    Very nice job, great looking setup. Love that Givi top case too.