Spyder Garage

Default Lowering brake pedal on rt

I have seen several references to the LaMonster shortened brake rod for the F-3 and he shows it on his web site but no similar posting for a shortened brake rod for the 2019 and prior years RT. I have a 2019 RTL - SE6 and would like to lower the brake pedal on it. Unless I lift my foot to apply the brakes, if I try to lift at the ankle and pivot over to the pedal, I get a severe cramp in my leg and ankle. Will the F-3 shortened rod fit on the 2019 RT? I know it won't work on 2020 and newer but I have a 2019 which does have a brake rod. Just don't know if it is compatible with the RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I have seen several references to the LaMonster shortened brake rod for the F-3 and he shows it on his web site but no similar posting for a shortened brake rod for the 2019 and prior years RT. I have a 2019 RTL - SE6 and would like to lower the brake pedal on it. Unless I lift my foot to apply the brakes, if I try to lift at the ankle and pivot over to the pedal, I get a severe cramp in my leg and ankle. Will the F-3 shortened rod fit on the 2019 RT? I know it won't work on 2020 and newer but I have a 2019 which does have a brake rod. Just don't know if it is compatible with the RT.
    What I did to my 2014 RTS after my right hip replacement...I mounted a standard RT foot peg, with a spacer on top of my RTS right flor board...My heel rests on top the foot peg and you just pivot the front of you right foot slightly to the left on top of the brake pedal...NO FOOT LIFTING NEEDED...

Under the floor board rubber mat covering you will see 4 screws towards the rear of the floor board...I removed the 2 rear screws and used longer screw to attach my spacer and rubber peg...

I did try using the further front 2 screw holes and that allowed your foot to pivot in the middle but it did not allow enough lift on the front of my foot to slide in on top of the brake pedal...

I do have a picture...I could e-mail it to you...I don't know how to post pictures here...LBDemay@verizon.net

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem, and what I did was install Lamonster highway pegs. Then with my foot resting on the highway peg I can operate the brake with my heel. It's been working pretty well for me.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I had the same problem, and what I did was install Lamonster highway pegs. Then with my foot resting on the highway peg I can operate the brake with my heel. It's been working pretty well for me.
    Yeah, I remember someone else doing that with success, George. That will be my next “try”, if my current “pre-production”, heel lifting option doesn’t work. Mind you, I’m on a ‘21, so the board/brake dynamic is slightly different. I’ll have my foot at the front of the large, upswept ‘21 board, and operate the brakes with my heel from there.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a cheap and easy that might do the job. Remove the rod and drill a same size hole behind the original one in the front yoke and attach the brake lever to it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome