Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Gold Wing engine to Rotax engine..no contest..118HP, 125 ft lbs TQ to 100 HP, 80# TQ....the math has already been done.........but............
    An RT vs Gold Wing Trike calls for an MCN shootout!!
    Having owned 3 1800 wings, one of which was attached to a CSC trike kit, I can tell you a trike feels underpowered compared to the 2 wheel version.
    The SM5 we demo'd, and almost bought, did not feel underpowered compared to the trike.
    Shootout time......RT vs GL1800 trike (preferably IRS version)
    09 wing; 02 fz1; 78 cb750k; 66 305 dream

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Apples/Oranges, Wings & Spyders

I guess being these machines are totally different in every way, the only thing they have in common is three wheels. Perhaps it was unfair to demo a nearly three year old unsold trike conversion, but at the time I though it was pretty nice of that Honda dealer to allow not only me to demo ride, but to let me take my wife as passenger along for the ride. Hopefully my Yamaha dealer (who also sells Can Am Spyders) will be as generous whenever he gets a new RT. In the context of the ride I took, the Goldwing trike felt large, was comfortable, exhibited more resistance to turning than expected, and seemed to have ample engine power. Now that being said, I cannot see anywhere that I showed any disrespect for either the Goldwing or the Can Am. I think that Honda dealer was a bit high priced considering the age of the trike, but maybe not way-off considering a new one is over 36 grand.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree, apples and oranges...

I am a new Spyder owner (08 SM5). I am young, and have owned a GL1800 (2 wheel) before (it was the only thing my wife would ride with me). My father recently became a Champion trike dealer, so this past week I got to ride my Spyder and a GL1800 with the Champion kit back to back.

Completely different machines, each with the pluses and minuses.

Spyder = very sporty feel, ability to handle really well if I move around on it, not as comfortable for longer trips, not nearly as comfortable for a passenger. Much better suited to my age and preference for sporty feel then the GW.

GL1800 w/ Champion and easy steer = adequate power, better handling than I thought it would have (I was able to ride it just as fast around bends as I can the Spyder and it felt very solid), great for long distance, and my wife loved it. When we were parked, both got a lot of looks and drew a lot of attention (I was actually surprised the GW trike did). I was not overwhelmed with the power, but I think it has more to do with the smoothness of the GW than anything else - the power is just always there. I was pleasantly surprised with the handling.

I will be very interested to see how an RT compares to a GW trike.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Demo vs. Ownership

I hardly qualify here as I haven't yet owned either machine. I do however like to demo ride different bikes/trikes to get an idea what I want to have for my next ride. I am 56 years of age and backing out onto my gravel driveway gets more difficult each year. Ditto for holding up the bike while my wife gets on and off or at stops while two-up. I can see the day coming when three wheels or a lighter/lower bike will be needed. The reverse gear of the Spyder or the Goldwing is another beneficial feature I can really appreciate. I can relate to needing power as a fully loaded two-up machine needs it whether it be on-ramps, passing, or hill climbing/headwinds. If that is less than adequate, I'd be more than a bit uncomfortable with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One point on the reverse gear - its much better on the Spyder, as it is uses the engine power, not the electric starter as it does on the goldwing. I may be nuts, but I always hate using the reverse on the GW too long because it seems like it is hard on that little electric motor and the battery. Not a big deal, but it is a difference.
    08 Spyder SM5, Phantom kit, Hindle exhaust, otherwise stock

Spyder Garage

Have a friend with a Spyder, former owner of a succession of 3 GW trikes. Spyder handles "way better, especially in the twisties". She is now working on farkelizing her RS for comfort.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse

Quote Originally Posted by jcbatt View Post
    One point on the reverse gear - its much better on the Spyder, as it is uses the engine power, not the electric starter as it does on the goldwing. I may be nuts, but I always hate using the reverse on the GW too long because it seems like it is hard on that little electric motor and the battery. Not a big deal, but it is a difference.
    There is no doubt that the Spyder has the better reverse.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default goldwing vs Spyder RT

Quote Originally Posted by 05titanle View Post
    Ok let me start by saying this is more of a question and answer thread, because i dont know much about the true facts about the wing engine. Hear is my two cents. we are already hearing that the engine on the RT is to small and the gas milage is bad, before 99% of the people have even riden the RT. it is not a 30 year old concept like the gold wing, it is all new, i thing the BRP design team did a great job on the first two models in three years in the market of on the road riding, here again is my two cents.
    RT vs GW
    lets say the RT gets 30 mpg and the GW gets 40 mpg.
    30 x 6 = 180 miles
    40 x 6 = 240 miles
    so we spending $ 25000.00 on the machine, are we worried more about the extra $ 5.00 it cost us to go 60 more miles or that we could ride 60 more miles?
    I think if we are spending $ 25,000.00, $5 bucks is not going to make me buy a GW.

Second= what is the percentage of people that ride over 180 miles without stopping. not me!
    Third = RT will go over the US speed limit, so how fast do you need to go?

When you go buy a new car do you buy the one that gets 40 mpg over the one that get 30 mpg. or how far you can go on a tank of gas, NO you buy the one you like the best.

Can't wait for my RT-S and trailer to get here.

Just returned from a 3800 mile trip. I have a 2011 RT Limited, there was a 2008 goldwing and a 2008 harley ultra classic both with MotorTrike conversions on them. We all filled gas at the same time and the gold wing would average 36, harley 33, and my spyder 31 ish. As far as power both the goldwing and spyder would both hide from the harley. Running at 80 mph on the interstate side by side with the wing we both give it full throtle, my spyder pulled away until about 105mph and then then wing passed me up slowly. Don't short change the spyder, it will perform with the wings.
    Outback

Spyder Garage

Three weeks ago I traded in my 2002 GW 1800 on a 2011 RT-SM. As most have expressed on this thread the GL 1800 engine is bulletproof. Mine had 39,000 trouble free miles on it pulling the triked bike with a Motor Trike three wheel kit while returning 30-36 mpg. I loved the way I could pull from 1,500 rpm in 5th gear and the laid back comfort of the Honda.

My wife's '10 RT woke me up to the fact that the Gold Wing just doesn't have the excitement of the Spyder. So my triked '02 with lots of aftermarket goodies on it brought me $19,000 on the trade for the new RT. My out-the-door price on the RT was $26,136, so for a little over seven grand I have put new life back into my riding.

In 1974 I bought my first bike, a Honda CB 360T. Over the ensuing years, I have owned many others. Now at age 72 I am rediscovering some of the lost fun that I was missing on the Gold Wing Trike.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 05titanle View Post
    Ok let me start by saying this is more of a question and answer thread, because i dont know much about the true facts about the wing engine. Hear is my two cents. we are already hearing that the engine on the RT is to small and the gas milage is bad, before 99% of the people have even riden the RT. it is not a 30 year old concept like the gold wing, it is all new, i thing the BRP design team did a great job on the first two models in three years in the market of on the road riding, here again is my two cents.
    RT vs GW
    lets say the RT gets 30 mpg and the GW gets 40 mpg.
    30 x 6 = 180 miles
    40 x 6 = 240 miles
    so we spending $ 25000.00 on the machine, are we worried more about the extra $ 5.00 it cost us to go 60 more miles or that we could ride 60 more miles?
    I think if we are spending $ 25,000.00, $5 bucks is not going to make me buy a GW.

Second= what is the percentage of people that ride over 180 miles without stopping. not me!
    Third = RT will go over the US speed limit, so how fast do you need to go?

When you go buy a new car do you buy the one that gets 40 mpg over the one that get 30 mpg. or how far you can go on a tank of gas, NO you buy the one you like the best.

Can't wait for my RT-S and trailer to get here.

I totally agree with everything said. When I was an active Iron Butt rider, I loved my Goldwing with its aux 4.5 gal fuel tank in the right saddlebag....meaning I didn't have to stop for a good five to six hours at a crack. Now that I've moved on and decided to back off a little and smell the roses, so to speak, the stopping every two to two and a half hours works for me just fine. And while I'll NEVER badmouth a Wing, the RT-S is BY FAR the most comfortable touring machine I've ever owned (having gone through 3-Wings, 1-Venture and an Ultra-Classic).

Ryde on!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got back from a 168 mile lunch ride on my '02 Gold Wing with a solid axle Motor Trike kit. This is the first long ride in over a month, my other riding has been on my RT. I got 33 mpg today, which I usually get, plus or minus 1 or 2 mpg depending on my right hand. I have 60,169 trouble free miles on my Wing. The engine is smooth and powerful. My trike weighs 1250 according to Motor Trike. The electronics are second to none.

My 2011 RT-S SE5 has 2024 miles on it and it runs like a hose. It, too, is smooth and powerful, although not as strong as my Wing. The radio is not as good, but I have different headsets in my two FF helmets and this could be part of the problem. I like the SE shifting.

My RT is smoother on bumpy pavement and handles better than my Wing does in curves. Both are great on the Interstate. I only speak of MY machines, but I am really getting used to my RT and like it more each day. So far, a change out of the DPS sensor is the only defect. Time will tell.

I love them both.

Last edited by Mr. White; 06-16-2011 at 08:23 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default No comparison

Tried as I did, (see posts about GW Trike) My friend wanted the GW. Granted, for handling and storage, it's the RT all the way. The GW throttle response is like a rheostat. Not that ours is jerky,it's just different. The way the two machines respond to the torque at hand is far different as well. As another thought, the is a purpose built machine, the GW a very good, but still an adaptation. That's why I don't have one. Another factor is WOOT!

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somebody mentioned Sea Doo... There's no doubt that Bombardier has always tried to be a leader!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    Tried as I did, (see posts about GW Trike) My friend wanted the GW. Granted, for handling and storage, it's the RT all the way. The GW throttle response is like a rheostat. Not that ours is jerky,it's just different. The way the two machines respond to the torque at hand is far different as well. As another thought, the is a purpose built machine, the GW a very good, but still an adaptation. That's why I don't have one. Another factor is WOOT!

Patrick
    Patrick, not to worry. I think you said your friend got a California Sidecar kit on his Wing. This is a outstanding company with many fine dealer/installers. I rode my GW trike yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is a different ride than the Spyder, but a good ride. I have over 60K on my trike and it has been problem free.... Your friend will have many, many miles on his trike with a grin on his face. "He done good!"

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Very interesting discussion. Lots of points of view and inputs.

I really like the fact of having more power than I need--I came off of a Vulcan 2000cc cruiser to get my first . I also like the quiet and smoothness of the bigger engines.

Also had Yamaha 1980's Venture and Kawasaki 2000's Voyager--both close to the wing. i really liked both--but I started to have issues with the heavyness and muscle needed to horse the bigger bikes around.

I do like the ergonomics of the Spyder--especially the RTS. The real reverse is a plus for me.

My only complaint is I feel that it is underpowered with the 990 Rotax, and I would like a quieter, smoother engine. I have had one of each year since their inception. I did not jump on the 2011's because all that appealed to me was the Pearl White RTS.

If they come out with a bigger, smoother engine--I will be in the market for that--and will trade in the 2010 RTS. That will probably be my last bike--but I am still waiting.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a wing before the rt and am now in the process of selling the rt to return to a wing. The back and forth motion on the spyder is to much for my bad neck. I like the flat six engine and IMHO the trailer hitch on the spyder is a very poor design. I have never seen a road going vehicle with the trailer hitch bolted to the rear axle. On my last trip the trailer took such a beating it broke one of the tounge mounts and broke most of the bottles in the cooler. A proper hitch should be mounted to the frame so the suspension can isolate the road from the trailer. Mounting the seat to the rear wheel wouldn't be very comfy. I like most things on the spyder but a few itams has me looking for another wing.

Spyder Garage

I had a wing before the rt and am now in the process of selling the rt to return to a wing. The back and forth motion on the spyder is to much for my bad neck. I like the flat six engine and IMHO the trailer hitch on the spyder is a very poor design. I have never seen a road going vehicle with the trailer hitch bolted to the rear axle. On my last trip the trailer took such a beating it broke one of the tounge mounts and broke most of the bottles in the cooler. A proper hitch should be mounted to the frame so the suspension can isolate the road from the trailer. Mounting the seat to the rear wheel wouldn't be very comfy. I like most things on the spyder but a few itams has me looking for another wing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc trike kit. it handles great and the ride is great it has all the power you can handle and want. it is my second trike. i road a 2014 rt and it was not for me. my wife told me not to sell the goldwing and buy a spyder. i can ride the goldwing and not worry about being stuck out on the road with a break down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can't compare 2 wheel mpg with 3 wheel. 3 wheel always lots less. But, you can compare the new 3 wheel conversion by Motor Trike which is the front end kit for converting a Goldwing to 3 wheels. Stopped for coffee and a person had one and we started talking and comparing. Went for a short ride together on each other's bike. Need to try it on the twisties when we get a chance. When it comes to comfort, Motor Trike wins hands down and more seat riding comfort for 2 up. The Goldwing doesn't have DESS so no problem there and the Motor Trike has real tires. Engine longevity is a proven on Goldwing. I liked the way the Goldwing Motortrike RT conversion felt on the road. I think BRG needs to pay attention to their problems and to what Motor Trike is doing. I would definitely have to give one a serious try if I was going to buy a new bike. Lots more dealers to work on a Goldwing also. Just some food for thought.

Spyder Garage

Default R18 (Honda Goldwing)

R18.jpg

R18 Reverse Trike.. Other than cost what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 08-09-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

There are multiple reasons for going either two or three wheels. You do your research, you buy the one you like, you fix it the way you want.
    Enjoy your ride and be safe.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc trike kit. it handles great and the ride is great it has all the power you can handle and want. it is my second trike. i road a 2014 rt and it was not for me. my wife told me not to sell the goldwing and buy a spyder. i can ride the goldwing and not worry about being stuck out on the road with a break down.
    I ride my 2015 RT-S and never worry about breaking down.I had 2 Goldwings and both were great bikes but as for a trike the Spyder wins with a much better reverse and abs as standard equipment.They all have there good points and bad,Just ride whats best for you.
    Bill
    I do know the Wings had there share of tranny problems
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    R18.jpg

R18 Reverse Trike.. Other than cost what are your thoughts?

I rode the factory demo with the easy steer at a GW show in State College PA earlier this year...Liked the bike, handling & power...Didn't like the lack of front storage, weak reverse and manual shifting...

My ride now is a 2014 RTS SE6...Came off a 2008 GS SM5...If I had a GW I'd consider this conversion, and I'd also look at the new Motor Trike conversion, but only if I had a GW...

Just my opinion...larryd

Spyder Garage

Note when this thread was originally posted.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Note when this thread was originally posted.

Chris
    Yup many years ago.The Wing would be the same engine but the Spyder now has the 1330 engine.
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended