Spyder Garage

Default Nolan helmets - what makes them so popular?

Seems that many Spyder riders use Nolan helmets. Wondering what makes them so popular for Spyders? I've been a Shoei fan for years, but must admit that in the hot weather my Shoei Neotec seems a bit too much, so I am thinking of trying a 3/4 helmet like the Nolan N40. Comments would be very welcome.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Nolan makes good lids that tend to be more round than narrow (intermediate oval). You'll need to try the fit. They are a bit on the heavier side than more costly lids. Also, the Nolan intercom system doesn't play well with other intercom brands if memory serves. If you just need BT to your phone/Spyder, it should be fine. Revzilla review is not great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc5igqPqZ8A
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Nolan has been an innovative company. They have worked hard on the Modular and Full Face, Flip-Up design that is very popular with Touring riders. They make a quality helmet at a reasonable price. And replacement parts are readily available. A good choice if they fit your head shape.

I've been selling Nolan helmets for a long time. Fit is always crucial and I recommend trying one on before purchasing, if possible. But when they fit, customers are very happy with them.

I am happy to quote a price if you find you are wanting one. If you can beat it, at least you know you're getting a good deal!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-21-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I was a Nolan user for the last twenty years or so. Started with full face (100's) went to (40's) and 44's. Liked the fit, and durability. Used add on Sena's for communicators. Bought one set of Nolans with n-com communicators attached...very disappointed in them.

My latest, we went to Bell Magnum with Sena built in. Going on year #3 with them.

Cost seems to be in mid-range for what is out there.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-21-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I rode with a Nolan for years (N-103 very comfortable helmet). But I lost weight and also wanted one that I could flip the chin guard all the way back, so I ended up with a Shark Evo One-2. Been very happy with that one also.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I used an N40-5 for several years and recently went with an n70-2x (the one with the sun visor). Both are the convertible type where the chin guard is removable and you can use it as a 3/4 helmet which I tend to do in the heat when riding 3 wheels. Optics are very good on the visors and I like that most come with the micro ratchet instead of a d ring. I have used the same sena communicator on both, and no real issues fitting it on the helmet. Both Nolan helmets had a very wide field of view, sun peaks and drop down sun visors. Unless you buy the bottom of the line, it also comes with the pinlock lens.

Ryan F9 seems to like em:

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I tried Nolan, but ended up with a Scorpion, full face, which can fully open, Ideal for me, at highwayspeeds closed, whilst cruising, open
    Wife has the same, and is totally in love with it.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I went to a motorcycle helmet shop that carries virtually every brand available. Tried lots of helmets. Nolan fit the best and that's what I bought. I have a big ol' fat head. Fit is important to make sure I wear the helmet. The only down side is the Nolan has a really big shell (at least mine does) and the wind buffeting is more than on a smaller helmet..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I went with Nolan because at the time (8 years ago) I liked that it was modular and easy to put a headset inside.

First time rider at the time and didn’t really know much about other helmets.

Spyder Garage

I would say fit and price are the top two reasons people pick any helmet with wind noise and venting following those. I rode with a Nolan flip many years ago and fit and price were the two factors that influenced me. This time around with the new Spyder price wasn't an issue so I went with the Shoei Neotec 2.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a NOLAN Trilogy in the heat and an N-91 much of the year. I like the fit, the super wide view field, the operation of the visors and sun shields, the quality for the price, their durability, easy of getting replacement parts, and the relative quietness while wearing either. I’d agree with ARTravler the earlier N-Com communication systems were not the greatest, but the newer systems are very robust.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Nolan N 104 Modular user for 8 years now. At the time ( and may still be?) it was the only modular helmet that came in XXXL size and didn't cause me discomfort at the forward crown of my head. Literally 100,000 miles later you can have my helmet when you pry it off my cold dead body. I would never ever wear another lid. I am in the process of picking up another N 104 (not easy to find as the new models have emerged) because after 100k miles its seen its share of dings , dents and scuffs. The latch and visor(s) still operate and lock like the day I got the helmet. I was an early adopter the N-Com system as this was their first helmet with it built in and it worked ok the first few years , but have since moved to a different bluetooth setup.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Shoei Neotech 2 fan

Spyder Garage

I use a Schuberth C3 pro and very often ride with the chin bar raised. Today got a call from my wife and put the bar and visor down for better acoustics. Despite the high 90s it wasn’t too bad. Anyway about 5 minutes after I put it down a rock was kicked up from a truck ahead of me and hit the visor so hard I was glad she had called. A stone flying into you when you are doing 75 mph won’t be fun…
    2020 Spyder RT base
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eranical View Post
    ... about 5 minutes after I put it down a rock was kicked up from a truck ahead of me and hit the visor …
    Although I frequently (mostly?) ride with my visor up, this is done with a full-face helmet. Yeah, there is still the occasional small rock or bug that makes its way in, but at least it's a smaller window than a 3/4 helmet or a modular with the chin bar raised.

You can't always pick and choose when an "accident" will happen. When the "stuff" hits the fan, you probably won't have time to pull your chin guard down to save your face.

Another reason I prefer a full-face is NOISE, or more specifically, the LACK of it. I have used my son's Nolan a few times and found the wind whistling past the extra cracks in the shell to be a bit irritating.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I went to a motorcycle helmet shop that carries virtually every brand available. Tried lots of helmets. Nolan fit the best and that's what I bought. I have a big ol' fat head. Fit is important to make sure I wear the helmet. The only down side is the Nolan has a really big shell (at least mine does) and the wind buffeting is more than on a smaller helmet..... Jim
    Many helmets, Nolan included, have only 2 shell sizes. They usually run one shell size from XS to Large. Then XL to 3XL in another size. So, if you're getting a Small helmet, the shell is a Large with padding to make up the difference. This is what is called the 'Bubble Head' effect. You have to go to a high end helmet like an Arai or similar where they make 3, 4, or even 5 different shell sizes. Arai typically makes 1 size for an XS, another for Small, another for Medium & Large (which share the same shell with padding thickness being the only difference. Another size for XL and 2XL, and yet another shell size for 3XL.

Fewer shell sizes make for a much less expensive manufacturing process. And more shells will increase the price.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...