Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Here: BRP Connect worth using?

Off Monday to pick up a 2019 RTL 1500 miles away and I'm planning a leisurely drive home on " the road less traveled". Without the RTL in front of me, I'm trying to gleam how I'm going to use the phone GPS to bring me home. Looking at the BRP Connect app, it seems that only those apps listed can be used with BRP Connect. Is that right? And the only music selection for music on my phone is Google music, which is discontinued.

My untested opinion right now is that the BRP Connect function has "limited" value. I may just get a mount for my phone and use the Bluetooth helmet setup and bypass the BRP Connect.

If I'm off-base on this thinking, please set me straight.

Spyder Garage

For your trip home, I would definitely suggest using the phone mount option you mention above, Ed. I have just got BRPC to work reliably after a month, in the controlled environment of my garage, and then only by using a cable that BRP don’t recommend using. Most seem to struggle with BRPC as the planets MUST be perfectly aligned before it fully cooperates. BRP just haven’t made it bullet proof yet……but it has great potential…….and even though I now have it running, I still use my Zumo XT as my GPS due to its large screen, ease of use, and plethora of adjustable options.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We have used it with our two 2021 RTL's with the Sygic and have not had any issues. We don't use it for anything else. For music we use Spotify and Plex Amp played through Bluetooth. You just need to make sure that you plug your phone in to the bike and make sure that the BRP Connect App is running and the screen is showing that it is connected to the bike. You must leave it on this screen or it stops working.

Spyder Garage

It's really something you have to try for yourself. I would never try to figure it out on my way home though! I can find my way around pretty well but it is certainly not user friendly. You have other options through bluetooth and the radio. When I got my 2018 they had a voucher for free genius maps app.
    Good luck experimenting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe Apple Music is available for Androids. There is also Dash Radio app. I use the Radio in Apple Music. The GPS apps (Sygic or Genius) work with or without BRP C app. Rever has just had an update and can be used for GPS. (cell service needed but can download maps for route). The BRP C app has tutorial links to videos. Youtube also has videos.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I do like the GPS that comes with the BRP app. I connected my phone to the BRP connect; then paired my helmet's GPS/phone2 to the BRP connect. Can use Siri now. Also I use Amazon Prime music. The BRP connect can do all the controls. Overall other than the music, I don't use the BRP connect too often.

Spyder Garage

I found BRP BURP Connect to be useless! Extremely frustrating, overly complicated! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Just got back from the 2 wheel rally in Deadwood SD. Had a good time and met a lot of nice people. Had people ask me how I liked or if I used BRP Connect. No I don’t use it because I can’t figure it out. No one I talked to used it for the same reason. I was just frustrated trying to use it and gave up. For navigation most riders used Garmin and liked it. If a car company put this in a car can you see the dealership trying to show grandma how it works. Bottom line for me it crap.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I tried it for the first time on a 2 hour trip a few weeks ago. The Sygic premium was on sale so I bought it. I like the fact the maps are offline so I don't need a cell signal like my phone map apps. At first I loved it. I had my Amazon music going and it would mute it and give me my turn by turn over my speakers. The display on my dash was great. About an hour and a half in I knew the turn I needed and nothing was happening. I looked down and it appeared to have locked up about 5 to 10 miles past. I couldn't exit out back onto my normal display. I could bring up the menu but could not click on anything. My phone was in my front dash compartment (21 RT) and the app was still running on that and working. I unplugged the phone from the Spyder and it still stayed displayed on the locked mapped on the Spyder. I had to turn off the Spyder and back on and hook everything back up to finish the trip. On the way home the next day the same thing happened about 45 minutes in. I love the display and the features but I can't trust it for GPS anymore.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    love the display and the features but I can't trust it for GPS anymore.
    And that in a nut shell is why so many avoid it like the plague. Get it working and and think great, then as usual it goes @#$^#$%&#$
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the input folks.

I'm still confused on the matter of using apps that don't show up on the BRP Connect list. When searching this forum, I found several references to apps like Accuweather and they were able to project them to RTL's screen, but I don't see them on the BRP Connect list. But at least I now understand that I should expect to use a direct pairing of my headset to my phone to get me home. I might get to play with the BRP Connect along the way, but I shouldn't count on it.

I have a Show Chrome handlebar mount rush ordered and will get it in time to pack it along on the flight to pick up the RTL.

This will be a slow and steady trip back since I no real experience with the RTL. (Ex gold wing 1800 rider.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    Thanks for all of the input folks.

I'm still confused on the matter of using apps that don't show up on the BRP Connect list. When searching this forum, I found several references to apps like Accuweather and they were able to project them to RTL's screen, but I don't see them on the BRP Connect list. But at least I now understand that I should expect to use a direct pairing of my headset to my phone to get me home. I might get to play with the BRP Connect along the way, but I shouldn't count on it.

I have a Show Chrome handlebar mount rush ordered and will get it in time to pack it along on the flight to pick up the RTL.

This will be a slow and steady trip back since I no real experience with the RTL. (Ex gold wing 1800 rider.)
    Yep…..I believe that is the best option, Ed. Once you get home, you may find that you get BRPC to work well for you, but I certainly wouldn’t be relying on it on your trip home.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with you 100%

Spyder Garage

The Show Chrome handlebar mount came in yesterday, so I should be set up to hang the phone off the left handlebar. Just need to figure a way to temporarily get power to the phone for the trip back.

BTW, for $50, the Show Chrome mount is of fairly decent quality. Better than I expected.

Spyder Garage

I have tried to use the BRP connect app in conjunction with Rever a few time now. I can't get it to work right where it shows the route and directions on the dash. I can start Rever on my phone, start a ride on the Rever app, connect the phone to the bike with my cable and it will launch Rever and will just pull up a map with no directions or routes. It is just so damn complicated. I have opted to just use my iPhone's maps app and listen to music from the iPhone connected to the bike through Bluetooth so I hear the navigation and the music through the bikes speakers and just use my phone as the GPS for the upcoming turns and such. If they would just incorporate apple car play and Android Auto, it would make it much easier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JStearns View Post
    I have tried to use the BRP connect app in conjunction with Rever a few time now. I can't get it to work right where it shows the route and directions on the dash. I can start Rever on my phone, start a ride on the Rever app, connect the phone to the bike with my cable and it will launch Rever and will just pull up a map with no directions or routes. It is just so damn complicated. I have opted to just use my iPhone's maps app and listen to music from the iPhone connected to the bike through Bluetooth so I hear the navigation and the music through the bikes speakers and just use my phone as the GPS for the upcoming turns and such. If they would just incorporate apple car play and Android Auto, it would make it much easier.
    Yeah, what you have described is what I was getting with Sygic, even with the original iPhone cable, JStearns. I then tried it with an older coiled cable one day, as I couldn’t find my iPhone cable, and Sygic started working perfectly…… I just fluked it That’s why I don’t believe it is solid enough to rely on, just yet. I am now using BRPC for music and FOBO, but running my Zumo XT (without voice), as I don’t want to run the risk of my GPS dropping out at a critical time

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

So I thought I would follow-up with this thread. The Show Chrome handlebar mount was a bust. When the handlebar is cranked almost full left, it hits the top of the "tank" whether the holder is mounted vertical or horizontal.

The seller and I spent 2 1/2 hours at his house trying to figure out the BRP connect puzzle. The best we could do is get the Sygic GPS app to work. No music or phone through the system for the whole trip back. At least I was able to navigate the backroads find my home. I'll keep playing with it, but honestly, with a center phone mount and Bluetooth headsets, I can have GPS, music, phone and intercom without much hassle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    So I thought I would follow-up with this thread. The Show Chrome handlebar mount was a bust. When the handlebar is cranked almost full left, it hits the top of the "tank" whether the holder is mounted vertical or horizontal.

The seller and I spent 2 1/2 hours at his house trying to figure out the BRP connect puzzle. The best we could do is get the Sygic GPS app to work. No music or phone through the system for the whole trip back. At least I was able to navigate the backroads find my home. I'll keep playing with it, but honestly, with a center phone mount and Bluetooth headsets, I can have GPS, music, phone and intercom without much hassle.
    Whatever you do, don’t discount the importance of the cable you are using, Ed….. Try a few…. I was using the recommended apple iPhone cable and still wasn’t seeing the full package. I used a coiled cable one day, as the apple cable was somewhere else, and every thing worked perfectly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I do like the GPS that comes with the BRP app. I connected my phone to the BRP connect; then paired my helmet's GPS/phone2 to the BRP connect. Can use Siri now. Also I use Amazon Prime music. The BRP connect can do all the controls. Overall other than the music, I don't use the BRP connect too often.
    I'm using free Pandora app, had not thought of Amazon Prime music and I'm a member. Gotta try that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jimbo, I agree. I'm just not tech savvy enough for BRP Connect to navigate the thing. I do not need more distractions, so I let it sleep.