Spyder Garage

Default this belt is being a pain

ok, so after doing all the services to the spyder i checked my belt tension, with the krikit it read 270 on the ground, which i known is to high, so i got the tension to 160 on the ground turning the adjusters equal turns,

now backing up the belt starts to come off the rear socket, is the belt to loose at 160, do i need to tighten it up some, thanks 2014 rt

Spyder Garage

Sounds like your rear wheel is out of alignment
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    ok, so after doing all the services to the spyder i checked my belt tension, with the krikit it read 270 on the ground, which i known is to high, so i got the tension to 160 on the ground turning the adjusters equal turns,

now backing up the belt starts to come off the rear socket, is the belt to loose at 160, do i need to tighten it up some, thanks 2014 rt
    The rear wheel is easier to adjust for alignment when it has no or little weight on it. Then adjust for belt tension.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

thanks

Spyder Garage

Yes, you want to measure tension off the ground and then adjust off the ground. The belt will never track correctly in reverse. But neither should it be coming off the pulley. You should always adjust towards tension. In other words, do not attempt to reduce tension as the final step. You want to move the axle rearwards to keep the entire system in tension. Otherwise, tension will change as you tighten the axle nut. If you find you are too tight, reduce tension below what you want your final setting to be and tension again.

Test run the wheel (In Forward Spin Only) before you button it up to be sure it tracks correctly on the pulley. Check tension again and then finish up.

I set the axle nut just loose enough so the tensioners will move it without undue force. This will keep you closer to the final setting when the axle nut is torqued down.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-20-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Sounds like your rear wheel is out of alignment
    .... I also keep mine at 160lbs on-the-ground ..... all Spyder drive belt will move to the outside of the flange in reverse .... yours appears to be an alignment issue not tension .... Mike

Spyder Garage

You say you adjusted the tension, I would assume in forward gear, got it to where you wanted it, all is good! Then when you backed it out of the garage the belt rode it self away from the flange, that is normal, it should not fall off, but when you take it for a ride it should fall back to it's happy place!!! Is that what it's doing?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I must have 'that' Spyder. My belt moves toward the inner flange when reversing. The first time you adjust the belt is a learning process -- after that it becomes easier, but never 'easy'.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol