Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you wear boots when riding?

This may seem like a silly question, but do you wear boots, i.e., motorcycle boots, when riding a Spyder? For my 35 years of motorcycle riding I always wore boots. In part it was for ankle protection if I went down, and in part it was to handle the wear of the shift lever on my left side. Riding a Spyder now, whether right or wrong I have less concern about going down, and there is no shift lever for my foot. I still wear jeans, not shorts, so that I have something between the road and my skin in case of a crash, as well as a helmet and gloves. But I find that I don't feel the need as much for boots, or for an armored jacket for that matter. I never was an ATGATT guy, even when I was an MSF Instructor in the 1990's, but boots were always a "must have" item for a ride. But now not so much.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

After 33 years responding to accidents (it really didn't take nearly that long to convince me) I wear boots. My feet could not be called pretty, but I still like them!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I always wear over the ankle boots
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

50/50

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Always a part of my gear. Over the ankle types. Engineer, Wellingtons, SIDI or Ariat ankle high. Depends on my mood of the day. Both my Engineer and Wellingtons are over 20 years old. The Engineers were re-soled about 12 years ago.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-20-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have been wearing this brand/style for close to 20 years...Both street and trail riding...I prefer the brushed leather look...And the PRICE...lol...
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-Me...?selected=true

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My arthritis makes wearing boots and being able to “hit the brake” difficult, so I wear oxford shoes. For me, that “feels” like the safer option!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I'll occasionally wear regular shoes for short trips on city streets (work, store, etc) but always wear boots when I hit the highway. You just never know what rogue rock, bug, or debris is going to be coming your way. The same rules apply with a helmet...my forehead can take-on a bug at 30 MPH but not 75 MPH.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, always. Tourmaster gortex riding boots.

https://www.denniskirk.com/tour-mast...CABEgIDo_D_BwE
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, always. Short ankle boots around town and calf high when on the road. Before wearing boots I went down on my BMW and scrapped up the ankle resulting in MRSA and a 6 months recovery process. It's now ATGATT and has been for many years. Even with 3 wheels if I get hit, auto or deer, I am probably leaving the ride airborne. Dress for the slide, not the ride.

Spyder Garage

At minimum ankle boots but mostly Danner full size side zip Gortex boots.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

Spyder Garage

Ankle high hiking boots. Always.......
    Along with all the other gear.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    This may seem like a silly question, but do you wear boots, i.e., motorcycle boots, when riding a Spyder? For my 35 years of motorcycle riding I always wore boots. In part it was for ankle protection if I went down, and in part it was to handle the wear of the shift lever on my left side. Riding a Spyder now, whether right or wrong I have less concern about going down, and there is no shift lever for my foot. I still wear jeans, not shorts, so that I have something between the road and my skin in case of a crash, as well as a helmet and gloves. But I find that I don't feel the need as much for boots, or for an armored jacket for that matter. I never was an ATGATT guy, even when I was an MSF Instructor in the 1990's, but boots were always a "must have" item for a ride. But now not so much.
    I wear ankle high boots as a minimum in warm weather. They're required on military bases. In cold weather I have some insulated boots, also ankle high. My SIDI riding boots aren't as comfortable or easy to get on/off so I haven't been wearing those with the Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No or rarely on the boot thing .... and I hardly ever ride ATGATT, except in the winter..... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am not an ATGATT guy. I wear boots, (Bates) jeans, gloves, & helmet almost all the time. There are times, when on the road, after checking into a motel, that I will go to supper wearing sneakers, shorts and a cap..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I always wear leather over the ankle boots.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Triumph Top Gear boots made by Ashman's of England that I have worn since 1972. The soles are getting worn mostly from dragging on the asphalt in my younger days but they are still serviceable. I wear them now mostly for dress. I have a pair of the Tourmaster boots that must be 20 years old. I bought those used from a fellow Venture Rider 10 years ago. The sole id coming off those and the leather is flaking. The pair I wear the most is a set of Milwaukie. I put padded insoles in them for my hurting feet and they are pretty comfortable now. I wear those on any long trip. If I am just riding around here I wear my Keens, especially if I am going to be doing any walking. It was boots only back in the 2 wheel days but not so much anymore.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Ankle boots all of the time. Too much heat for anything else.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I always wear boots to ride. TCX has been my go-to brand with Goretex waterproofing. Easy zipper/velcro opening.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Still wear my leather HD boots with side zip. Easy on and off, they also have some venting that keeps them cool.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Two wheels always boots, leather, gloves and helmet, three wheels not so much (although I know I should) still always long pants & shirt selves, (motorcycle jacket in winter) helmet & gloves, I work on military base so that is required when coming on base and live in helmet law state so always have to wear a helmet.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Basic for 2 or 3 wheeling. Also the engine heat from Spyder radiating thru Tupperware requires at least ankle boots and jeans. Never shorts & flip flops!
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Yes sir
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

One thing I learned in going to calls over the years is that if you wear slip-on boots, they will probably slip-off on impact (I mean impact with the vehicle before you hit anything yourself). Same for anything not over the ankle. Anything that can come off (including helmets) will come off. Usually on initial vehicle impact. Wearing a helmet too big, regardless of how tight you get the chin strap, has a good chance of not being there when you need it. Just a cold, hard fact.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It’s a trade off for me. With size 15s there are a limited number of choices. I used to use Bates Goretex boots, but their quality has dropped right off. The soles broke up and fell off within 12 months on the last 2 pairs. If I am off on a long, multi day trip. I have a pair of solid Sketchers Goretex boots that I wear. All other times, I wear solid lace up joggers…….mostly because they let me bend my ankle more easily to get to the awkward (for me) brake pedal on the new ‘21RT. That action is quite difficult in boots. I am actually thinking of installing a hand operated brake lever, just so I can quickly operate the brakes while getting my foot on the pedal.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red