Spyder Garage

Default Pulsating lights

Hi apart from when I first joined this forum this will be my first post
    I have recently acquired a 2011 Spyder RS
    Very happy with my purchase and loving the ryde
    However my Spyder has a headlight fault
    It appears that my headlights FLASH when I get upto speed
    A mate of mine on his Ryker keeps thinking I’m trying to get him to pull over
    Worse still I had a large lorry pull out on me to overtake another lorry because he thought I had flashed him out
    He even thanked me as I got past him
    Obviously I don’t want everyone thinking I’m being courteous and giving them the signal to pull out on me and cut me off especially at speed as with the lorry driver
    So I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was the cure?
    Charging rate is 13.8v and I have changed one bulb even though it was still working but had a milky appearance on part of the glass
    I’ve now got the plastics off and I’m checking all the earths I can find
    But so far haven’t found anything amiss
    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    BIFFA

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biffa View Post
    Hi apart from when I first joined this forum this will be my first post
    I have recently acquired a 2011 Spyder RS
    Very happy with my purchase and loving the ryde
    However my Spyder has a headlight fault
    It appears that my headlights FLASH when I get upto speed
    A mate of mine on his Ryker keeps thinking I’m trying to get him to pull over
    Worse still I had a large lorry pull out on me to overtake another lorry because he thought I had flashed him out
    He even thanked me as I got past him
    Obviously I don’t want everyone thinking I’m being courteous and giving them the signal to pull out on me and cut me off especially at speed as with the lorry driver
    So I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was the cure?
    Charging rate is 13.8v and I have changed one bulb even though it was still working but had a milky appearance on part of the glass
    I’ve now got the plastics off and I’m checking all the earths I can find
    But so far haven’t found anything amiss
    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    BIFFA
    The Spyders in the US and Canada ( until recently ) had a shutter system for the high & low beams. It could bounce and give that impression .... I'm not sure the Spyders shipped to Britain had the same system , but if it does this might be the cause ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Spyders in the US and Canada ( until recently ) had a shutter system for the high & low beams. It could bounce and give that impression .... I'm not sure the Spyders shipped to Britain had the same system , but if it does this might be the cause ..... good luck .... Mike

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cheers and thanks for the quick reply
    The low beams on my Spyder are the lower lights either side of the frunk
    The high beam lights are the upper two close together in front of the dashboard
    When I select high beams the upper two come on and the lower two switch off so I don’t think it has the shutter system
    It’s the low beam which gives the impression that I’m flashing at other road user’s
    I can’t get it to do it in my garage by revving the engine but on the road it’s doing it all the time
    Cheers
    BIFFA

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only thing that comes to my mind is a headlight modulator, but....... I know absolutely nothing about modulators, but someone should chime in. Good luck with the pronlem!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    The only thing that comes to my mind is a headlight modulator, but....... I know absolutely nothing about modulators, but someone should chime in. Good luck with the pronlem!
    Understanding is that head light modulators only supposed to work on high beams & only in daylight <photo cell required> (US) Sounds like loose or connections somewhere possibly even the switch or even a wonky fuse. Good checking charging rate ,but maybe some extra load occurs like DPS (Dynamic power steering) has major load draw

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Cheers and thanks for the quick reply
    The low beams on my Spyder are the lower lights either side of the frunk
    The high beam lights are the upper two close together in front of the dashboard
    When I select high beams the upper two come on and the lower two switch off so I don’t think it has the shutter system
    It’s the low beam which gives the impression that I’m flashing at other road user’s
    I can’t get it to do it in my garage by revving the engine but on the road it’s doing it all the time
    Cheers
    BIFFA
    Hi BIFFA, just about every Aussie Spyder Ryder (we have the same light configuration as you) that I know has EXACTLY the same 'you're flashing your lights' problem!

It's simply that our low beam lights are so low (as in height off the ground) & the suspension so bouncy that every little ripple or undulation in the road surface (& there's waaaayyy more than you might think!) makes the light beam LOOK as tho it's flashing, when it's really only the front end bouncing so the projector lenses projecting the beam in a line straight out in front of the Spyder makes it seem as tho you are flashing people ahead when you're not at all!

Solution?? Some ryde around in daylight hours with their lights on Hi beam all the time - there are States here that encourage motorcyclists to do this. Others adjust their Lo beam lights down even more, so that it takes a massive bump to lift the projected beam up enough for a vehicle ahead to see it & think it's a flash - but if you do that & ever ryde at night, low beam is useless! A few of us have modified our lights so that the top lights, formerly just the Hi beam lights, now serve as both Hi & Lo, leaving the former Lo beam lights as fogs or not lighting at all; while others have fiddled with the suspension/ride height either making it rock hard but higher, or really soft & even lower - in both cases pretty much stuffing up the handling dynamics of the Spyder! Others just live with it &/or adjust their ryding to compensate for other road users thinking they're being flashed by some idiot on a Spyder!

In your case, with a 2011 & probably aging front shocks, it MIGHT be being made worse by your shocks &/or springs being a bit tired, so replacing them may help reduce the effect, but it won't remove it entirely!! If you have adjustable shocks on your Spyder, front &/or rear, it might pay to try adding a bit of preload up front &/or reducing it a bit on the rear, but again, that'll only reduce the effect, not eliminate it!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I believe Peter is exactly right. This same effect occurs on systems with shutters and without shutters. It's just the change of intensity as the beam angle changes to your eyes as the front end bounces along the road surface, because of the projector type lens. You can even see this effect from passenger vehicles with the same type of lights when they are coming towards you. Now, here in the States, some blame this effect on the shutters bouncing. If you've ever taken a headlight assembly apart and felt the strength of that shutter spring, I think that you would agree that the shutters aren't bouncing here, either. It's the same thing - just this projector lens effect. An unintended consequence of having high end headlights.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hi BIFFA, just about every Aussie Spyder Ryder (we have the same light configuration as you) that I know has EXACTLY the same 'you're flashing your lights' problem!

It's simply that our low beam lights are so low (as in height off the ground) & the suspension so bouncy that every little ripple or undulation in the road surface (& there's waaaayyy more than you might think!) makes the light beam LOOK as tho it's flashing, when it's really only the front end bouncing so the projector lenses projecting the beam in a line straight out in front of the Spyder makes it seem as tho you are flashing people ahead when you're not at all!

Solution?? Some ryde around in daylight hours with their lights on Hi beam all the time - there are States here that encourage motorcyclists to do this. Others adjust their Lo beam lights down even more, so that it takes a massive bump to lift the projected beam up enough for a vehicle ahead to see it & think it's a flash - but if you do that & ever ryde at night, low beam is useless! A few of us have modified our lights so that the top lights, formerly just the Hi beam lights, now serve as both Hi & Lo, leaving the former Lo beam lights as fogs or not lighting at all; while others have fiddled with the suspension/ride height either making it rock hard but higher, or really soft & even lower - in both cases pretty much stuffing up the handling dynamics of the Spyder! Others just live with it &/or adjust their ryding to compensate for other road users thinking they're being flashed by some idiot on a Spyder!

In your case, with a 2011 & probably aging front shocks, it MIGHT be being made worse by your shocks &/or springs being a bit tired, so replacing them may help reduce the effect, but it won't remove it entirely!! If you have adjustable shocks on your Spyder, front &/or rear, it might pay to try adding a bit of preload up front &/or reducing it a bit on the rear, but again, that'll only reduce the effect, not eliminate it!

Over to you!
    Cheers Peter
    Yeah it doesn’t look like theirs much I can do about this
    So I’ve decided that as I only ride my Spyder during the day I’m going to adjust the lights down and see if that makes a difference
    New shocks are on the cards along with a sway bar
    Maybe I should save up for an F3

Spyder Garage

Cheers Peter
    So I’ve decided that as I only ride my Spyder during the day I’m going to adjust the lights down and see if that makes a difference
    Aussie Spec F3's still have the same problem, so that might not be a complete solution for you! . Even the F3's with their 'higher than the RT's but still lower than the Hi-beam lights' with semi-outrigger style Lo-beam lights have people flash back at them or get stroppy cos they think the ryder is flashing them...

Most State Authorities here in Oz actually encourage ALL motorcyclists to use Hi-beam at all times during daylight hours (officially from 30 mins after Sunrise to 30 mins before Sunset ) in order to increase their visibility to other road users & at least partially to alleviate this 'perceived flashing' problem; and most other road users don't seem to have much in the way of issues with motorcyclists this.... In fact, I get waaay more aggro from vehicles I'm following &/or 'irate flashing' from oncoming traffic upset with my lights when I'm running on Lo-beam than I ever do when I've already got Hi-beam selected! Of course, the downside of running on Hi-beam during the day when there's already a fair bit of daylight around, is that since you're already on Hi-beam, you can't readily flash your headlights at anyone/for anything... and there are times that can be a bit of an issue!

Maybe you should adjust your Lo-beams UP a bit instead, &/or possibly add another set of 'always on' day-time running lights?? There again, adding a set of really bright spot lights that are switched & wired to operate in tandem with your Hi-beams & the brights flasher and mounted on top of the RT's mirrors/outboard of the little side wings at the base of the windscreen so they'll improve your dark road/nighttime visibility as well as allowing for a quick & really bright flash as & when necessary at other times could be a lot more effective at letting them know you weren't actually flashing your Lo-beams at them earlier and doing that juust might be somewhat more satisfying too???

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2021 at 04:02 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Understanding is that head light modulators only supposed to work on high beams & only in daylight <photo cell required> (US)
    In the US, modulators are allowed on either beam, but must be installed on the power wire, not the ground (earth) wire, so there is no possibility of modulating BOTH beams. Yes, they are also required to have a photocell to prevent operation at night.

Modulators also have a few more criteria that need to be met, and if they meet them all, they are legal in all 50 states and Canada. I have no idea whether they are allowed (or used) anywhere else.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cheers Peter
    Yep that should work ..... However if you MUST continue a ride and it gets dark .... you will have serious problem ..... jmho .... Mike