Spyder Garage

Default Any downsides to computer removal for upgrade?

Is there any downside to removing the computer, sending it off to be programmed and
    reconnecting everything after you get it back. My little curious brain wants to know up front.

Dray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only downside is the waiting time to put it back in. As others have said here, it's about a week or so.

Spyder Garage

Assuming you have no problem popping the panels off, it's a simple disconnect of the ECU. As stated, the wait time is the only 'issue'. Alternatively, you could look into the Dynojet PV3 tuner. It requires no ECU removal or downtime and can store 4 different tunes, including the OEM load. Price is about the same
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You can pay to overnight it in both directions and not have to wait so long. And absolutely track and insure it. I sent the ECU from my 2015 RTL to Wick-It and was only without it for less than a week. Now I have a 2020 RTL and paid a lot extra for the My Genius loader so that I wouldn't have to ship the ECU. Also, if there's ever a reason to go backwards, I can re-flash the original map.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Now I have a 2020 RTL and paid a lot extra for the My Genius loader so that I wouldn't have to ship the ECU. Also, if there's ever a reason to go backwards, I can re-flash the original map.
    Can this be used, or done on my 2016 F3T, and what might the cost be? I am interested in doing mine, but always have a fear of sending the brain of my machine out to someone, through the mailing systems that we have in place.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Might think twice before messing with the ECU. They’re starting to check them. It’s know it’s for cars but you never know.

https://www.carbibles.com/california...LHWQt63mD4&amp
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Might think twice before messing with the ECU. They’re starting to check them. It’s know it’s for cars but you never know.

https://www.carbibles.com/california...CP8LHWQt63mD4&
    I have a service truck that I regularly chip and then unchip for the annual smog checks. No problem. My wife's car moves like a rocket ship on steroids without any modifications. So it's good to go all the time. As for my spyder, I was told that CA is so far behind in implementing their legislative requirements regarding smog checks, they may never catch up in our lifetime. However, if you're driving a 1970's or 80's rattletrap, you're likely going to be in for some seriously expensive repair bills. Particularly if you live in the bay area. ECO/Enviro Central.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Can this be used, or done on my 2016 F3T, and what might the cost be? I am interested in doing mine, but always have a fear of sending the brain of my machine out to someone, through the mailing systems that we have in place.
    All info here: https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red