Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie, buying question - wait until 2022 models drop, or...?

So I just passed my 3WBRC, got my endorsement, and was going to start looking around but the closest dealer is closed Mondays.

Now traditional wisdom says that unless you HAVE to have the newest and shiniest vehicle, go shopping for last year's model when the new ones hit. Earlier on my social media feeds had advertisements often for rebates on 2020 Rykers.

But nothing is Traditional this year. At least in NC, there seems to be a Ryker shortage. One of my instructors is trying to get a 3WBRC set up at another school - he had to get 4 Spyders as it was all the dealer had.

So am I wrong in thinking at this rate there aren't going to BE any 2021 Rykers left when it's time for the 2022 ones to roll out? That the only benefit to waiting a bit might be scoring a deal on a lightly used Ryker that what I assume are a ton of new owners are grabbing, if they don't like it?
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    So am I wrong in thinking at this rate there aren't going to BE any 2021 Rykers left when it's time for the 2022 ones to roll out? That the only benefit to waiting a bit might be scoring a deal on a lightly used Ryker that what I assume are a ton of new owners are grabbing, if they don't like it?
    Difficult to say. I live in the "greater" Houston TX area (i.e., within 100 miles). Earlier this year when I was shopping there simply were no 2020's to be had, and I wound up paying MSRP plus getting soaked on dealer prep on a 21 900 ACE. To summarize, I think a lot depends on your geographic location. I also suspect that the "deal" you end up with will in most cases be within about $500 or so of anyone else's deal.

Spyder Garage

Have you check iMotorsports? Be sure to mention that you are a spyderlovers forum member when you communicate with them. That removes freight & prep from any costs.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-19-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: went to bold type for emphasis
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Rykers may be a special case. They have been selling and some places seem hard to get them.

RE: purchase of newest (2022) vs. older (2021 or previous).

It is a crap shoot there. I recently purchased two NEW F3L's. a 2019 in December of 2020, and a 2020 in January of 2021. Both about one year old, but brand new. Advantage, I got a rebate, full warranty, and using iMotosports in IL, free delivery, pickup of trade, and a pretty good deal compared to "new."

Still about six months away from "smokin" deals, if they are going to have any this year. ???

RE: New 2022. When they hit the dealers, usually early October. You will find mostly NO deals. And if there are updates and changes...that makes it even tougher to negotiate.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Have you check iMotorsports? Be sure to mention that you are a spyderlovers forum member when you communicate with them. That removes freight & prep from any costs.
    Whoa...I had never even heard of them before now - will definitely give that a look!
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

As of right now the local dealers here have no more rykers coming in for the rest of the year. Can am only allocated so many bikes to each dealer.

Spyder Garage

Whoa...I had never even heard of them before now - will definitely give that a look!
    Their site shows 47 Rykers in stock. They deliver to your door. I bought a 2021 RTL from them a couple months ago and was very pleased with the deal and service.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Their site shows 47 Rykers in stock. They deliver to your door. I bought a 2021 RTL from them a couple months ago and was very pleased with the deal and service.
    Bait (Ryker-wise). I believe if you call them you will find out otherwise, at least that was my experience earlier this year. It's the same with dealer listings of new bikes on Cycletrader.

Spyder Garage

I LOVE North Carolina. My dream ride would probably be Chimney Rock Road from Hendersonville to Rutherfordton by way of Bat Cave. A beautiful state.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a hard time finding my new 2021 Ryker in New York this season.They seem to be selling fast.

Spyder Garage

Weird - I ordered a '21 Ace 900 late June and last I heard it should be here in a couple weeks ...

PS - I'd been looking at a new '19 (same dealer) and decided to pass on that after hearing some comments on the drive train updates for the '21 models. Supposed to be a major improvement over the older models which could be a bit rough. They also dropped the cruising RPMs and reduced engine noise overall. All good things in my book.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    I LOVE North Carolina. My dream ride would probably be Chimney Rock Road from Hendersonville to Rutherfordton by way of Bat Cave. A beautiful state.
    I do love my home here in the WNC mountains. I'd rather have to make a long trip to my class once than have to make a long trip to somewhere every time I want a great scenic ride. I hear a lot about how the Blue Ridge Parkway is dangerous, and I can see that - I imagine a LOT of distracted motorists of all number of wheels. I did promise my loved ones I wouldn't get on it until I had much more experience than the MSF course - but I'm definitely hitting it at some point.
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

BRP is a national treasure. The wife and I get to it at least once a year. This will be the first year on the Spyder. And, most any road from it is great!
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I'm an MSF instructor and teach the 3WBRC (among other classes) and have heard the same thing all year. In fact, when my wife took the class and passed, we went on the hunt for one. Closest available new unit we found was in rural PA (we are on Long Island in NY). Luckily, a friend at a Can Am dealer kept his eyes peeled and we got her a like-new 2020 in no time.

Glad to hear you took the class and are looking for a Ryker, they are a blast!
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

I would just stick to 2020+, that is the latest frame. It has the nice removable trunk with cool things you can add like coolers, etc. Has a lock in the trunk. I would just look for a BRP rebate! I got a 2020 with a $3K rebate. Take the saved money and start accessorizing!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the fire at the BRP plant in Mexico produced off road vehicles and rykers (but not spyders). If this is true, there could be a shortage coming up soon, which will mean possibly no rebates or deals to be had. I love that you live in the NC. I am also in NC, but near the center of the state. I go to the mountains as often as I can and love pretty much any area, whether I am on 2, 3, or 4 wheels.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the fire at the BRP plant in Mexico produced off road vehicles and rykers (but not spyders). If this is true, there could be a shortage coming up soon, which will mean possibly no rebates or deals to be had. I love that you live in the NC. I am also in NC, but near the center of the state. I go to the mountains as often as I can and love pretty much any area, whether I am on 2, 3, or 4 wheels.
    https://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...d-yard-one-its (SSV = Side-by-side vehicle)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    So, since it was only the SSV's in storage that got burnt, there should be no more 'shortage of supply' for Rykers than normal then!?!

Be interesting to see....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Rykers are NOT SSVs, eh ... in any case, the factory itself wasn't affected, and they only lost around six day production from the lot.

PS ... I love the small print in the press release, eh ... <G>

Certain statements in this press release, including, but not limited to, statements about the Company’s prospects, expectations, anticipations, estimates and intentions, results, performance, objectives, targets, goals or achievements, priorities and strategies, financial resources, capabilities, beliefs, research and product development activities, expected financial requirements and the availability of capital resources and liquidities or any other future events or developments and other statements that are not historical facts constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of Canadian and United States securities laws. The words “may”, “will”, “would”, “should”, “could”, “expects”, “forecasts”, “plans”, “intends”, “trends”, “indications”, “anticipates”, “believes”, “estimates”, “outlook”, “predicts”, “projects”, “likely” or “potential” or the negative or other variations of these words or other comparable words or phrases, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements, by their nature, involve inherent risks and uncertainties and are based on assumptions, both general and specific. The Company cautions that its assumptions may not materialize and that current economic conditions render such assumptions, although believed reasonable at the time they were made, subject to greater uncertainty. Actual results or future events or developments may differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements due to a number of factors, including the impact of adverse economic conditions such as those resulting from the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis as well as those identified in BRP’s annual management’s discussion and analysis and audited consolidated financial statements for its fiscal year 2021 and the other recent and future filings with applicable Canadian and U.S. securities regulatory authorities, available on SEDAR at sedar.com or EDGAR at sec.gov, respectively. These factors are not intended to represent a complete list of the factors that could affect the Company; however, these factors should be considered carefully. The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are made as of the date of the press release and the Company has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future events, changes in circumstances, or changes in beliefs, unless required by applicable securities regulations. In the event that the Company does update any forward-looking statements contained in this press release, no inference should be made that the Company will make additional updates with respect to that statement, related matters or any other forward-looking statement.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2021 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Made quote readable... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Rykers are NOT SSVs, eh ... in any case, the factory itself wasn't affected, and they only lost around six day production from the lot.

PS ... I love the small print in the press release, eh ... <G>
    That IS a doozy of a disclaimer, isn't it?!? I wonder what prompted them to feel the need for something like that??

Or what high paid Lawyer there is out there who really should be selling iceboxes to Eskimos or maybe used/historical British Bridges to anyone else?!? . If they can convince BRP of the need for something like that spew of gobbledegook, then no matter HOW highly paid they may be as a Lawyer, they could make a helluva lot more $$ in closing big ticket sales!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You're not supposed to be able to read small print, are ya? <G>

Spyder Garage

Pretty standard disclaimer for any publicly traded company. Has more to do with other lawyers making cushy livings chasing someone to sue than the firms representing the companies.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Bait (Ryker-wise). I believe if you call them you will find out otherwise, at least that was my experience earlier this year. It's the same with dealer listings of new bikes on Cycletrader.
    Have you called? I couldn't find a dark chalk metalic RTL in Tennessee. iMotorsports just said they would have to pull one out of the warehouse. My Spyder was delivered (with a full tank of gas) to Tennessee one week to the day from funds transfer.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Yikes...if I can't lay claim to the one 600 that isn't spoken for they have coming, I'm officially out of luck with that dealer until the 2022 models start rolling in!

Still keeping imotorsports in mind as a backup, though.
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

Have you called? I couldn't find a dark chalk metalic RTL in Tennessee. iMotorsports just said they would have to pull one out of the warehouse. My Spyder was delivered (with a full tank of gas) to Tennessee one week to the day from funds transfer.
    I called them in March and April when I was shopping for a Ryker, not since.