Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have been running 87 octane in my vehicles since around 2015. I notice no issues or problems. Since moving to AR in 2019, I also use 10% ethanol mix that comes with the 87.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is it your feeling that ( any ) Spyder WON'T run fine on 87 octane with or without Ethyl added . ????? .... Except for a brief testing period ALL my Spyders have been using 87 oct. and mostly with Ethyl in it. Over 100,000 mi. total ..... Mike
    I just filled up with 87 octane for the first time. Can't feel any difference except in my wallet. Thanks Mike.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Back in 2015, Consumer Reports rated the reliability of all the major motorcycle brands, and Can Am was at the very bottom of the list. Do you think things have gotten better in the last 6 years or is the Can Am Spder the Fiat of the motorcycle world?
    The 2014 report, which is the last one they've done, has CanAm in the middle, below Victory, HD, and Honda but above the likes of Yamaha, Suzuki, and Triumph. CR is no longer doing reliability reports of motorcycles so the 2014 report is the last one.

I agree with AR about seeing fewer trouble reports here on the forum the last few years.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My wife and I inherited a 2011rts when her dad passed away and it has been nothing but trouble. Granted it's older and I have replaced many of the components that I've researched on this forum and others that should be replaced on machines as they age. I'm at my wits end with it. Based on this experience and the lack of dealership support I would never personally buy one of these machines.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SWISE View Post
    My wife and I inherited a 2011rts when her dad passed away and it has been nothing but trouble. Granted it's older and I have replaced many of the components that I've researched on this forum and others that should be replaced on machines as they age. I'm at my wits end with it. Based on this experience and the lack of dealership support I would never personally buy one of these machines.
    Sorry to hear about your lack of abilities to diagnose the problems but sometime a trip to a dealer is required if you don't have a buds or buds 2 diaicnostics tool. Stop beating your self up and find someone with a BUDS system or a dealer that can sort it out for you. I'm sure you and your wife would love the Spyder if you could get it running right. Good luck with the project, you can always start a new thread and try and describe what problems you are having to see if someone here might have the answer, it can be slow tho.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hey SWISE. If you are located in Eastern Ky. Call the folks at Cave Run Motorsports (833-286-8690). I purchased my F3S from another dealer in Ohio that I found to not be very good. But Jason and his staff have taken good care of me when I need assistance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Sorry to hear about your lack of abilities to diagnose the problems.
    Interesting assumption about a new member with a grand total of two posts.
    As far as anyone here would know, the person you are describing is a Ford Master Tech.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Interesting assumption about a new member with a grand total of two posts.
    As far as anyone here would know, the person you are describing is a Ford Master Tech.
    You must work for a news company, if you read the whole thing you see what I was saying or trying to say is you need a special tool sometime no matter who you are (don't knock your self out). So don't take part of something I said and try and make something its not.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I do have the buds software and and so far been able to fix every single issue that has come up. My point was that it has been one issue after another since we've had it. I fix one thing and something else pops up 2 or 3 months later.
    My post was more of a rant than anything else. I appreciate the replies.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    You must work for a news company, if you read the whole thing you see what I was saying or trying to say is you need a special tool sometime no matter who you are (don't knock your self out). So don't take part of something I said and try and make something its not.
    Nope, I don't work for a news company. I did read the whole thing. You may as well go ahead and do the same (knock yourself out).
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SWISE View Post
    I do have the buds software and and so far been able to fix every single issue that has come up. My point was that it has been one issue after another since we've had it. I fix one thing and something else pops up 2 or 3 months later.
    My post was more of a rant than anything else. I appreciate the replies.
    Now that I can understand, frustration; that can happen. The Spyder RT 2011 was only the second year in production and still had a few bugs as you I'm sure you know. But still not normal to have a lot of issues all the time. You know the history of the bike so I hope it just needs time to get better.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I built a Goldwing Trike about 10 years ago . I never liked it at all ... I only put little over 600 miles on it and I sold it . that was before I ever rode a Can-Am Spyder , or I might have built the Goldwing Trike as 2 front wheels instead of 2 rear wheels.

Spyder Garage

I ran my F3 LTD 12 hours straight for 650 miles in 95-102 temperatures from North Carolina to New Jersey with no problems. I was doing about 75 to 80 MPH. I had my F3 for 2 years and it went to the shop once for an adjustment on a switch. Sadly, I just sold it for Harley Freewheeler. I will see if the Harley can do the same.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

For me, my previous 2013 RT-S was perfect. Never an issue. So far my 2020 RTL has been great, too. One thing I noticed that does not get brought up very often is how much maintenance may be required on two wheel motorcycles while on long trips. It seems that chains or links, cables, tires, oil changes, etc. regularly need attention but are not typically reported as reliability issues. With my Spyders I get a good once over by the dealer before a trip and that's it. Only checked my oil every couple days on my 2013.

Spyder Garage

I have been fortunate to never have a major issue with a motorcycle I have owned... from a Cibi mini bike of youth, through Hondas in college, into Harleys and now onto the 3 wheels of CanAms. I still ride a 2010 RS and will update at some point (I'm 63). The RS has worked flawlessly so far, with only faithful and regular maintenance -- as I do with any vehicle or bike. I am enjoying my time now on 3 tires. If they are becoming better with each generation, as would be expected, awesome!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    No, I know the spyder will run on it, and I get the no Ethyl in all octane, if it is available. Just in the higher altitude, towing the trailer up steep grades, I like to run the higherr octanes.
    Actually, you would get better power at Higher elevations with the lower Octanes. For the most power and highest fuel mileage, run the lowest Octane as long as you don't have Detonation or pre ignition. Basically higher Octane fuel burns slower, slower flame front and is harder to ignite than lower Octane. 'Premium' is not a 'better' or higher quality fuel than regular. The higher elevation and the cooler the weather, the lower the Octane requirements for optimal performance, both power and mileage. This only holds true for naturally asperated engines, ie no forced induction, super charger or other wise.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RTL new this spring. I put over 15000 miles on it this summer. I went from Maine to Tennessee, to NY, to NH all different trips. I also rode every weekend when home around Maine. It never left me stranded. My NY trip was even solo. I'm as confident in the Spyder's reliability as any other vehicle.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red