Spyder Garage

Default Faulty heated grip

Question for the more knowledgeable, do the left and right hand heated grips run on the own circuits each or do they run on one common circuit. I'm trying to fault find as this morning was the first time I've been able to confirm for sure as the right hand side "throttle" was nice and toastie where as the left hand side didnt even feel like it was trying to warm up. I've had this Spyder now for 1 month I realise to many I'm asking a lot from a 2014 SE6 RTL, but was advertised and sold by the dealer to me as ex-demo and had only 1800K on the clock. So am bringing things to his attention as they present.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They have one common circuit but two separate elements in each grip.

The wires in the handlebars are small at 20AWG. My right hand wire was pinched and my left hand wire had been repaired by the previous owner.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

The wires in the handlebars are small at 20AWG. My right hand wire was pinched and my left hand wire had been repaired by the previous owner.
    Many thanks on this info, I'll start at the left hand grip and work my way back to the switch and hopefully its an easy fix or even something as simple as a dry connection considering it has largely sat doing nothing for its 6 year life.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Question for the more knowledgeable, do the left and right hand heated grips run on the own circuits each or do they run on one common circuit. I'm trying to fault find as this morning was the first time I've been able to confirm for sure as the right hand side "throttle" was nice and toastie where as the left hand side didnt even feel like it was trying to warm up. I've had this Spyder now for 1 month I realise to many I'm asking a lot from a 2014 SE6 RTL, but was advertised and sold by the dealer to me as ex-demo and had only 1800K on the clock. So am bringing things to his attention as they present.
    Can you give me details on how you fixed it, how you got to the wires in the first place etc, as the 2 manuals I've purchased are useless and give no details. Please help....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

How do I get to the wires in the first place????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is complicated. For one thing, what looks like handlebar covers actually are aluminum castings with short handlebar stubs on the ends. As I recall there is a rubber cover wrapped around to steering stem that is held in place with at least three fasteners, all hard to find and undo. And there was some other stuff like the underside of the aluminum castings. Get a bright flashlight. And yeah the documentation isn't so great on this one. Check the parts list drawings if you have them.

Hopefully your problem is in the handlebar wiring and not close to the control switch which appears an order of magnitude to access.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike