Spyder Garage

Default Oh that dreaded spark plug failure

Took the Spyder out for a ride a few days back and "oh my gosh" !! The power was awful and it sounded as if something was terribly wrong. Turned around and headed back home with no change. Stopped and it felt as if there might have been a miss, but more like one cylinder wasn't firing at all. Could it be plugs?? Coil pack? Something else?? Ok, I figured at 21000+ maybe it could be plugs so I started there. Got new plugs and started searching for information to aid in doing the work myself. After much consideration I decided to bite the bullet and take to a local shop and give them a try. When I described the issue they told me it was most likely plugs. They have found that to be the case is several Spyders in the past few weeks. I took it to them yesterday and they called this afternoon and said it was now running great. Plugs were shot. I picked it up and it ran better than it has in weeks. Tomorrow it will be getting a road test for certain. Time for Wind Therapy !!!
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I wish it was a easyer job to do, I would like to change the wires and plugs in mine!! But I fear I will take it to a shop, I just don't know if I am set up for that much tear down!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

That was my deciding factor as well. I don't regret the decision at all. I'm a full time RV'er and don't have a place to complete that undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I wish it was a easyer job to do, I would like to change the wires and plugs in mine!! But I fear I will take it to a shop, I just don't know if I am set up for that much tear down!!
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

i posted a pic of changing my plugs, after thread , MAJOR SERVICE, if you want to see what you have to remove to change

Spyder Garage

It was a little intimidating at the beginning of the job when I changed mine at the 56K service but I just took it slow and steady and it worked out fine. I'm surprised yours went south around 21K; my originals made it through 28K, never missed a beat and I've read of others who've gone easily past that interval with no problem. I changed to Bajaron's iridium ones. With arthritis getting both my hands the Spyder tech at my dealership will do the next ones in about 11K.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTSJohn View Post
    Took the Spyder out for a ride a few days back and "oh my gosh" !! The power was awful and it sounded as if something was terribly wrong. Turned around and headed back home with no change. Stopped and it felt as if there might have been a miss, but more like one cylinder wasn't firing at all. Could it be plugs?? Coil pack? Something else?? Ok, I figured at 21000+ maybe it could be plugs so I started there. Got new plugs and started searching for information to aid in doing the work myself. After much consideration I decided to bite the bullet and take to a local shop and give them a try. When I described the issue they told me it was most likely plugs. They have found that to be the case is several Spyders in the past few weeks. I took it to them yesterday and they called this afternoon and said it was now running great. Plugs were shot. I picked it up and it ran better than it has in weeks. Tomorrow it will be getting a road test for certain. Time for Wind Therapy !!!
    " 21,000 + " miles ...... I'm more than a bit skeptical on this ..... I have 60,000 + on the same engine with original plugs, coil packs. wiring etc. and to date no plug issues, that I can detect .... still getting the Same good mileage ( 39 mpg's ). .... I have little faith in the Expertise that a lot of dealer Tech's have shown ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " 21,000 + " miles ...... I'm more than a bit skeptical on this ..... I have 60,000 + on the same engine with original plugs, coil packs. wiring etc. and to date no plug issues, that I can detect .... still getting the Same good mileage ( 39 mpg's ). .... I have little faith in the Expertise that a lot of dealer Tech's have shown ..... JMHO .... Mike
    You beat me to the question BK.

Yes, they are a "bear" to change out. The two places that I talked to about changing mine out at 40K said they should be good until at least 60K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

21000 miles and you needed plugs. Those plugs they put in the Spyders are normally rated for 100k miles. Mine are around 34 K and have no plans on changing them soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a lot of cases, plug life will depend on how the vehicle is driven
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was troubled as well... but I can assure you one plug wasn't firing at all ... period. New BajaRon plugs and it is now running like a new ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I was troubled as well... but I can assure you one plug wasn't firing at all ... period. New BajaRon plugs and it is now running like a new ride.
    I had the "one plug" not firing on my 2010 RT (twin cylinder). It turned out that one wire was shorting out from rubbing against something. It started happening when I got caught in a rainstorm. The dealer replaced that and no more issues for me. I traded that Spyder off at 36K miles and the original spark plugs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2016 RTL, I still have the original plugs at 84,000 and it is running like a top. I have heard of some of them going past 120,000. Luck of the draw? or how they are ridden? I am dreading when I have to have mine changed.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiisai View Post
    2016 RTL, I still have the original plugs at 84,000 and it is running like a top. I have heard of some of them going past 120,000. Luck of the draw? or how they are ridden? I am dreading when I have to have mine changed.
    Iridium plugs have a very long " use life " ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

July 21,, 2021

Speaking of spark plug replacement. I had a 2016 Smart Car with about 70,000 miles, running fine. I asked the Mercedes dealer what it costs to replace the plugs. They said $550 . I said " what ." They told me they have to take half the car apart to replace the 3 plugs. The following day I sold the Smart Car on Facebook Market Place. They buyer came over with cash and off he went. It was a great car.

Spyder Garage

Just want to add my thoughts to this matter, If you use the throttle while starting the engine , you will shorten the sparkplugslife dramaticly, never use the gaslever while starting these engines.
    They will get flushed with unburnt fuel, with no temperature to get rid of the excess... jmho
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

How much did the Dealer charge to do the Plug changes?

Spyder Garage

a
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    How much did the Dealer charge to do the Plug changes?
    The charge was 3.1 hours = $283 . Would I pay that again? You bet ya !! I drove up on my cabbage truck, fell off, and watched the work as last plug was pulled. It was ding dong dead. "short life" for what is normally a "Long one" .
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I worked on a friends byke that was jerking trying to take off. In the end was a cracked plug! Of course on the right side. Factory plug too. No idea why, never has seen this before. Put in the the fine tip version. Was a 2013 ST-S VTwin.

Spyder Garage

Plug life is super variable. Iridium plugs in automobiles can last up to or over 100k miles, but rarely that in motorcycle type engines. I assume that's because of the higher stresses: horsepower per cubic inch, etc. For example, in BMW motorcycles they recommend changing plugs every 12k miles, which is incredibly short even for non Iridium tipped plugs. Owners frequently change to the Iridium plugs to extend the plug life, but even then many report those only last in the range of 24k miles. In some of the BMW bikes I've owned the OEM plugs were toast at about 10k miles, while others lasted much longer. In a Suzuki motorcycle (dirt bike) I used to own the Iridium plugs only last a couple of thousand miles before failing. Why was a mystery, it just did.

Anyway, with the Spyder, my 2014 RT the plugs were completely toasted at 36k miles and should have been changed much earlier, like the OEM recommended mileage. And, yet as we've read above many Spyder owners report much longer plug life, so that's why I say they're variable.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, there are several reasons that spark plugs do not last nearly as long in a Spyder (or most motorcycles) as they do in cars. For one thing, it is not uncommon to be turning 3 or 4 times the RPM in a motorcycle. That alone can cut mileage in 1/2. It is also not uncommon to run WOT or generally harder on a motorcycle than you do in your car. Cars generally do a lot more steady throttle, cruise control type miles than does the typical motorcycle that more often heads for the back roads and twisties. Couple this with how much a set of worn spark plugs affect the HP and efficiency of a motorcycle as opposed to a car. And you end up with a much shorter life. You really can't compare the 2. They are only similar in that they are an internal combustion engine.

In a race car, spark plugs last just 1 race, in most cases. Dragsters may only get 1 run (1/4 mile) from a set of spark plugs. Just to represent the spectrum. Don't try to compare your car to you Spyder. They are very different.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-24-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...