Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a way to suppress forums?

It occurred to me it would be easier to focus on topics I'm interested in if I could suppress those that are irrelevant to me. For instance I'm not interested in those involving issues specific to Rykers or F3s or 998 drive trains.

Just curious.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

In looking at all the settings available to users of the site, I do not find any way to suppress items that one is not interested in.

My own preference, I always go to "what's new." That skips some of the inactive or slow forums. I can then pick or choose the subjects I want to read.

You can also click on the "forum" operation and that will allow you to pick and choose what you are specifically interested in.

IMO though, more choices are better than fewer choices. You have been on the site long enough that you can navigate the site well, and avoid the stuff you don't want to read anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I only get email notifications to threads in which I have posted comments. I ignore the others.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I only get email notifications to threads in which I have posted comments. I ignore the others.
    Then how do you know about new threads?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Then how do you know about new threads?
    I click on WHAT'S NEW when I want to see them.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I click on WHAT'S NEW when I want to see them.
    That's what I do also.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What's New plus the subject line of the thread and forum it's in works pretty well for me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What's New plus the subject line of the thread and forum it's in works pretty well for me.
    Some of those subject lines beg a hilarious response.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    In looking at all the settings available to users of the site, I do not find any way to suppress items that one is not interested in.

My own preference, I always go to "what's new." That skips some of the inactive or slow forums. I can then pick or choose the subjects I want to read.

You can also click on the "forum" operation and that will allow you to pick and choose what you are specifically interested in.

IMO though, more choices are better than fewer choices. You have been on the site long enough that you can navigate the site well, and avoid the stuff you don't want to read anyway.
    X's 10 ...... At least here no-one censors what you can read .... un-like in the real world ....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    X's 10 ...... At least here no-one censors what you can read .... un-like in the real world ....JMHO .... Mike
    We do have some site rules that bar some subjects. For the most part, we try to be a family friendly site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It occurred to me it would be easier to focus on topics I'm interested in if I could suppress those that are irrelevant to me. For instance I'm not interested in those involving issues specific to Rykers or F3s or 998 drive trains.

Just curious.
    It seems fairly clear that most members use the 'What's New' searches & listings so they can then pick & choose what they want to read next from there; but do you realise that for anything but the 'top level parent forums' you can use the Forum Tools button (that should be up in the top right corner of each sub-forum Index Screen) to Subscribe (last item in the drop down list?) to an entire forum/section as well as to individual threads?? Don't know if it'll help you any, but it could be worth a shot.....

By subscribing to each individual sub-forum you're interested in, you'll get notifications & listings of any new posts in that section, which might help you narrow down the list of new posts you get to see & so possibly making your choosing process juuust a little easier. Worth a try maybe??

Over to you!

Ps: The comments re the thread Subject lines/thread titles are another reminder of why it's SO IMPORTANT to at least try to either briefly state your question in the title, or at least tell us what you expect to get from the thread!

After all, those Thread Titles are really the ONLY chance you're going to get to invite people to come on in & have a read; and if you don't get those readers/viewers to come on in & have a look, there's not really all that much of a chance that you'll ever get a helpful answer your question.... . But those thread titles also serve as the major source of keywords for searches, both those coming from within SpyderLovers and also those searches coming via any of the external search engines like goggle or duckduckgo etc. . So by making sure your thread title is meaningful & briefly asks your question/states what you expect from the thread, you may not only be helping yourself get a useful response, but you might also be helping someone with the same or a similar question years from now!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said, Peter.
    2014 RTL Platinum