Spyder Garage

Default Powering a GPS from the front glove compartment USB

Has anyone tried to power their GPS from the USB cable provided in the front glove box above the dash?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

I can only speak of my 2021 RT LTD. My Garmin GPS sees the computer on the bike if I use a standard USB cable to connect and goes into maintenance mode (map loading mode), so I opened up the cable and cut the green and white wires (data connections) leaving only the red and black wires (power and ground). This only sends power to the GPS and it now functions normally. I have another standard cable I use to connect to my computer for updates.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I purchased the cable directly from Garmin and it works just fine on my S2S
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

You may have a hard time finding one advertised as such but some of the USB cables are for power only. They tend to be a little smaller outside wire diameter than the ones that are data and power.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    Yes, I purchased the cable directly from Garmin and it works just fine on my S2S
    Can you tell me what the cable is called or how you found it. I have searched the Garmin site without success. I am trying to connect a Garmin DriveSmart 60 to the front USB port.
    Thanks
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Can you tell me what the cable is called or how you found it. I have searched the Garmin site without success. I am trying to connect a Garmin DriveSmart 60 to the front USB port.
    Thanks
    The cable came with my Garman GPS
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Thanks
    Try This one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/19422017561...Cclp%3A2047675
    Last edited by USAF; 10-19-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    Has anyone tried to power their GPS from the USB cable provided in the front glove box above the dash?
    We use a data blocker on the USB from the glove box, less than $5. a piece on Amazon, That just gives the power and doesn't hijack your equipment. .....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I have a 2022 F3L Special and use a Garmin powered from the frunk accessory power connection and have a bluetooth enabled device from Lamonster powered from front glove box connector which gives Garmin communication to bike speakers using the aux. setting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 65cabriolet View Post
    I can only speak of my 2021 RT LTD. My Garmin GPS sees the computer on the bike if I use a standard USB cable to connect and goes into maintenance mode (map loading mode), so I opened up the cable and cut the green and white wires (data connections) leaving only the red and black wires (power and ground). This only sends power to the GPS and it now functions normally. I have another standard cable I use to connect to my computer for updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    We use a data blocker on the USB from the glove box, less than $5. a piece on Amazon, That just gives the power and doesn't hijack your equipment. .....Bill
    Yes, I agree totally.
    Cutting the data wires in the USB cable is a very clever solution (I'm assuming you cut the Garmin cable, and not the bike cable). but it's a bit extreme.
    I also use a data blocker on the USB, and you can power anything from the USB port. I've got a double USB to power our SENA units when the batteries die.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Just a doubt. Power from globebox USB is 5,3 V. and Garmin GPS needs a 12V power wire. Is this correct? If yes maybe It shoudn't go.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

If it's a Garmin GPS the USB port can power the unit (5v) directly but the cradle with direct wire uses 12v and drops the voltage to the mounted GPS.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    Just a doubt. Power from globebox USB is 5,3 V. and Garmin GPS needs a 12V power wire. Is this correct? If yes maybe It shoudn't go.
    Yes, power is limited, mcalva. I’m not sure how/if it would affect a Garmin, but there have been several reports of the glove box USB being unable to charge the larger draw “plus” phones.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

"If it's a Garmin GPS the USB port can power the unit (5v) directly but the cradle with direct wire uses 12v and drops the voltage to the mounted GPS."

Ok. So, depending on the Garmin you would to connect, you will have to open the door ( Zumo 660) and GPS will not go or remove the waterproof protection to show the USB port.(Zumo 590 and XT)
    Last edited by mcalva; 11-10-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Yes, which is why the direct wire from 12v to cradle is the designed method. The USB is normally only used for off-bike charging or PC hookup but can work as a backup power source..
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Yes, which is why the direct wire from 12v to cradle is the designed method. The USB is normally only used for off-bike charging or PC hookup but can work as a backup power source..
    I agree completely. Why would you not use the dedicated gps power supply on the bike and keep the usb freed up for others things?
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I agree completely. Why would you not use the dedicated gps power supply on the bike and keep the usb freed up for others things?
    Totally agree with Jetfixer.... On the F3 its located here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that picture. I will pull the cover and locate it. Is it a USB plug style?