Spyder Garage

Default What's BajaRon's Price for Amsoil? Worth it?

Trying to figure out if it is REALLY worth $16 a quart to use Amsoil over BRP Oil. Does anyone know what Baja Ron charges a quart? 2014 RTL
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote he sent me (back in1/2020)for The 10w-40 genuine, fully synthetic:
    “All pricing is delivered to your door. These are just examples that I think will best fit your preferences. But I can put together any assortment or combination you like. I don't quote the normal 5 quart amount for 1 oil change since you're getting this for 2 motorcycles and a 5 quart amount is about $2.00 a quart more. Amsoil is always less expensive per quart at the case level. They try to discourage smaller orders. I suppose it's a hassle unpacking and re-packing just 5 or 6 quarts.

1 Case - $134.40 or $11.20 per quart.
    2 Cases - $255.95 or $10.66 per quart.”
    All the way with any & all of my orders
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-16-2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Date

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Become a perferred customer and get a discount 10.99 per Qt I use Amsoil in everything, good oil, extended drain intervals, it worth it to me!!! Some here will say deferent, to each his own! Good Luck!! Here we go again, there playing our song!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I know there’s those that say otherwise but in my opinion BRP is 6500 miles per change and Ams is 8500-9000 miles. 2 of ams vs 3 of BRP as in changes so AMS is cheaper in the end. Buy by the case from bajaron. I run BRP in my 2stoker sleds but ams in my SXS,wheelers and 4 stoke sleds. His prices are the cheapest and I’ve looked everywhere.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I've been using Quicksilver from Mercury. Just as good as Amsoil and a lot cheaper. Can get it at Walmart for about $26.00/gal. JASO certified for motorcycles. Been told both Amsoil and Quicksilver under private label supplied by same company.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I know there’s those that say otherwise but in my opinion BRP is 6500 miles per change and Ams is 8500-9000 miles. 2 of ams vs 3 of BRP as in changes so AMS is cheaper in the end. Buy by the case from bajaron. I run BRP in my 2stoker sleds but ams in my SXS,wheelers and 4 stoke sleds. His prices are the cheapest and I’ve looked everywhere.
    In our oil tests we find that typically, the BRP blended oil shears to 20 weight around 5,000 miles. Customers running Amsoil are going between 10 & 12k with good test results.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I've been using Quicksilver from Mercury. Just as good as Amsoil and a lot cheaper. Can get it at Walmart for about $26.00/gal. JASO certified for motorcycles. Been told both Amsoil and Quicksilver under private label supplied by same company.
    Interesting. I had not heard of this oil before. I looked for some information on it and it's all pretty non-specific. Do you know if it is a true synthetic, or a mineral oil with an additive package, as is more common the case. It says JASO rated. but I'm not seeing anything that states the actual rating. Do you have any specific specifications for this oil? Have you run an analysis on it?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Price of Amsoil

If you want amsoil get it from Ron. You might also consider Valvoline 10-40 synthetic with a picture of a blue motorcycle on the label; Wal Mart carries this and if you keep an eye on it for sales it comes in under $6.00/Qt. FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Trying to figure out if it is REALLY worth $16 a quart to use Amsoil over BRP Oil. Does anyone know what Baja Ron charges a quart? 2014 RTL
    I recently purchased a case from BajaRon. Cost me $151.43 delivered to my door.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never been able to understand buying an expensive piece of equipment and then maintaining it on the cheap?

Spyder Garage

I run only AMSOIL in my Spyder and I get it from Ron. It is not the cheapest oil but the best in my book!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    In our oil tests we find that typically, the BRP blended oil shears to 20 weight around 5,000 miles. Customers running Amsoil are going between 10 & 12k with good test results.

Interesting. I had not heard of this oil before. I looked for some information on it and it's all pretty non-specific. Do you know if it is a true synthetic, or a mineral oil with an additive package, as is more common the case. It says JASO rated. but I'm not seeing anything that states the actual rating. Do you have any specific specifications for this oil? Have you run an analysis on it?
    Claims to be full synthetic. Specs say "Meets or exceeds API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM. JASO MA/MA2" Reviews are all very good.

Recommended for use in all four-stroke motorcycles and scooters including sport, dual sport, off-road bikes and other high-revving engines.

The wet clutch compatible formula prevents clutch slippage and provides High temperature durability, High RPM protection and Optimum horsepower

Meets or exceeds manufacturer’s warranty requirements. Using this product will not void manufacturer warranties.

JASO Certified

Spyder Garage

Claims to be full synthetic. Specs say "Meets or exceeds API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM. JASO MA/MA2" Reviews are all very good.
    There are various methods used to obtain the 'Synthetic' label. Back in the beginning, only oils that were selected from certain molecules during the refining process were allowed to use that definition. Then Castrol took standard mineral oil, blended in a man made additive package and called it 'Synthetic'. The process was less expensive and Mobil1 sued because of the patents they had on the refining process to achieve, what up until then, had been the only method able to claim 'Synthetic'. Everyone was completely shocked when Castrol won the case. Some said that Mobil1 assumed it to be such a slam dunk win that they didn't bother to do their homework. Others said that the court, not grasping the science of the differences, just didn't think it a big deal. I can say that the only nation in the world that allows a mineral oil with an additive package to be called 'Synthetic' is the United States.

The fact that they just say 'Synthetic' and give no more details would indicate a mineral oil with an additive package. But maybe not. That's why I was looking.

I'm glad everyone is having good luck with it. Do you know if anyone has had it analyzed? That would be very interesting. If it's as good or better than Amsoil, for less money, I'll be getting that in the future. My only loyalty to Amsoil is based in the tests I and many others have done over the years.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-17-2021 at 01:23 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are various methods used to obtain the 'Synthetic' label. Back in the beginning, only oils that were selected from certain molecules during the refining process were allowed to use that definition. Then Castrol took standard mineral oil, blended in a man made additive package and called it 'Synthetic'. The process was less expensive and Mobil1 sued because of the patents they had on the refining process to achieve, what up until then, had been the only method able to claim 'Synthetic'. Everyone was completely shocked when Castrol won the case. Some said that Mobil1 assumed it to be such a slam dunk win that they didn't bother to do their homework. Others said that the court, not grasping the science of the differences, just didn't think it a big deal. I can say that the only nation in the world that allows a mineral oil with an additive package to be called 'Synthetic' is the United States.

The fact that they just say 'Synthetic' and give no more details would indicate a mineral oil with an additive package. But maybe not. That's why I was looking.

I'm glad everyone is having good luck with it. Do you know if anyone has had it analyzed? That would be very interesting. If it's as good or better than Amsoil, for less money, I'll be getting that in the future. My only loyalty to Amsoil is based in the tests I and many others have done over the years.
    Everything I've read says it is full synthetic, not a blend. Made by Mercury.

Spyder Garage

Specs of the Quicksilver 20W50 full Synthetic oil: API SF/SG/SI/SL/SM/ and MA/MA2. Advertised price at Walmart $25.82 Gallon

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Everything I've read says it is full synthetic, not a blend. Made by Mercury.
    This oil here ? Awhile back, I bought the last three bottles on the shelf at the local Walmart for $2.50/QT on clearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Another 710 thread.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    Another 710 thread.
    Yes sir, you could be on to something there.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

And what exactly is a “710” thread, please?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    And what exactly is a “710” thread, please?
    A "710" thread is just an "OIL" thread that's gone t**s up!

But I don't think this one has.... not yet anyway?! . Off topic - weeeelll yeah, maybe just a little.... . It's definitely wandering a bit; altho so far, I'd say that even that wandering has at least been reasonably within an acceptable range/scope of the original discussion! Thanks everyone.

So as I mentioned above, I don't think this thread's gone t**s up - not yet anyway!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Everybody seems to get so upset about everyone's choice of oil or the price of oil. It seems to me that any decent oil, changed on schedule will allow the engine to last well in excess of 100,000 miles. How many folks in actuality will put that many miles on a spyder?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Everybody seems to get so upset about everyone's choice of oil or the price of oil. It seems to me that any decent oil, changed on schedule will allow the engine to last well in excess of 100,000 miles. How many folks in actuality will put that many miles on a spyder?

~~~Ive always kind of argued the same point in that, how many miles is one going to put on any given motorbike, scooter, trike, et al. That said, both of our light duty trucks 1998 F-150, 2010 F-250 have just over 100K miles on each. Actually, the F-150 has 125 K miles and the f-250 I just did an oil change has 100665 miles on the odometer, but here’s the thing, the diesel motor in the the F-250 has been described/determined to be the worst diesel motor ever made. They had a problem with the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pumps will grenade usually with not more than a 100 K miles. Mine took a dump a few months ago. To make matters worse, the motor has to come out of the truck to replace the high pressure fuel pump and on my 2010 that means the cab has to be separated from the chassis. Ford says to replace alll 8 fuel injectors at the same time. My mechanic also replaced everything related to the fuel system including but not limited to the low pressure fuel pump, the fuel tank was removed, cleaned(to remove any errant metal bits which is what destroys the high pressure fuel pump) and the sending unit was replaced. I got off easy. All he charged me was $7K which included replacing the main brain electrical part which was $500 (CPU?) because the original diagnostic flow chart indicated it was at fault due to the codes that were thrown

Not that anyone asked but my mechanic came up through the Ford dealership ranks, was able to get Ford to comp all of the 8 new fuel injectors, the high pressure fuel pump, etc. So why did I have to pay $7K? Well, this was the first one he did, had an lot of hours into it and if yhou0 talk to anyone else that had this same job done they paid up to twice more if they had the work done3 vs. tradi ng the truck in for a new one

So what does all of this talk of an Ford diesel motor truck have to do with Spyders? It’s in the same vein, the problem I knew that brought on my high pressure fuel pump goin g when it did was because (IMNSHO) I let the scheduled oil change go further thanI should have. I change (usually) the oil every200 hours (about 5 K miles) That’s the severe duty schedule. Normal schedule is twice that or 400 hours or every 10 K miles. I go with the severe duty schedule because I meet those guidelines, specifically the engine idles for more than10 minutes every hour the motor runs. Its hot here so I let the air conditioning run to get the cabin cool before taking off

Again, the point I’m making is y0ur oil in whatever vehicle it is needs to be changed on schedule. Go over that schedule and be damned

I was one of the odd men out waiting for a year to go by before I did the first oil change non my 2020 Ryker Rally. There was also only less than4 K miles on the Ryker Rally odometer whenI did that first oil change. It seems most Ryker pilots change oil on the first change well before the BRP guidelines of every 6500 miles or once a year, whatever comes first. It’s also safe to say these same peeps will change their engine oil before every 6500 miles, and hey!, more power to them. It’s your motor, do what you0 feel is best, but just like the author I Quote here says, some seem to get their tidy whites in a knot if you dont do like. They do

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    BRILLIANT’S LAW OF LIMITED AMBITION: If you can’t learn how to do it well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~Ive always kind of argued the same point in that, how many miles is one going to put on any given motorbike, scooter, trike, et al. That said, both of our light duty trucks 1998 F-150, 2010 F-250 have just over 100K miles on each. Actually, the F-150 has 125 K miles and the f-250 I just did an oil change has 100665 miles on the odometer, but here’s the thing, the diesel motor in the the F-250 has been described/determined to be the worst diesel motor ever made. They had a problem with the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pumps will grenade usually with not more than a 100 K miles. Mine took a dump a few months ago. To make matters worse, the motor has to come out of the truck to replace the high pressure fuel pump and on my 2010 that means the cab has to be separated from the chassis. Ford says to replace alll 8 fuel injectors at the same time. My mechanic also replaced everything related to the fuel system including but not limited to the low pressure fuel pump, the fuel tank was removed, cleaned(to remove any errant metal bits which is what destroys the high pressure fuel pump) and the sending unit was replaced. I got off easy. All he charged me was $7K which included replacing the main brain electrical part which was $500 (CPU?) because the original diagnostic flow chart indicated it was at fault due to the codes that were thrown

Not that anyone asked but my mechanic came up through the Ford dealership ranks, was able to get Ford to comp all of the 8 new fuel injectors, the high pressure fuel pump, etc. So why did I have to pay $7K? Well, this was the first one he did, had an lot of hours into it and if yhou0 talk to anyone else that had this same job done they paid up to twice more if they had the work done3 vs. tradi ng the truck in for a new one

So what does all of this talk of an Ford diesel motor truck have to do with Spyders? It’s in the same vein, the problem I knew that brought on my high pressure fuel pump goin g when it did was because (IMNSHO) I let the scheduled oil change go further thanI should have. I change (usually) the oil every200 hours (about 5 K miles) That’s the severe duty schedule. Normal schedule is twice that or 400 hours or every 10 K miles. I go with the severe duty schedule because I meet those guidelines, specifically the engine idles for more than10 minutes every hour the motor runs. Its hot here so I let the air conditioning run to get the cabin cool before taking off

Again, the point I’m making is y0ur oil in whatever vehicle it is needs to be changed on schedule. Go over that schedule and be damned

I was one of the odd men out waiting for a year to go by before I did the first oil change non my 2020 Ryker Rally. There was also only less than4 K miles on the Ryker Rally odometer whenI did that first oil change. It seems most Ryker pilots change oil on the first change well before the BRP guidelines of every 6500 miles or once a year, whatever comes first. It’s also safe to say these same peeps will change their engine oil before every 6500 miles, and hey!, more power to them. It’s your motor, do what you0 feel is best, but just like the author I Quote here says, some seem to get their tidy whites in a knot if you dont do like. They do

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    BRILLIANT’S LAW OF LIMITED AMBITION: If you can’t learn how to do it well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly
    Love it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm under warranty. Dealer only uses BRP oil for the service once a year. Last year only put on 3,000 miles due to covid. When I look at the BRP oil, it is not JASO rated! It bugs me that it's not. But I change the oil so often, I let it go. I'm old and round so the dealer does all my services. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL