Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS Trailer wiring - can I just tap into the bike's wiring?

I recently bought a 2008 GS and I'm putting a trailer hitch on it but I'm unable to locate a wiring harness for that year. Is it wrong to just tap into the bike wiring and run the wires to the trailer? Maybe install some mini-fuses in each leg? I live in Northern Ontario, Canada and there are no dealers for a couple of hundred miles. I'm going to try phoning but the dealers I've called aren't helping much. Bring it in and we'll look at for you is their answer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-16-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I...' question & not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

I used a powered trailer light converter on my '08 GS to protect the factory wiring. It was an easy install and I mounted the converter box above the rear wheel fender liner (whatever its called).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canadaspyder View Post
    I recently bought a 2008 GS and I'm putting a trailer hitch on it but I'm unable to locate a wiring harness for that year. Is it wrong to just tap into the bike wiring and run the wires to the trailer? Maybe install some mini-fuses in each leg? I live in Northern Ontario, Canada and there are no dealers for a couple of hundred miles. I'm going to try phoning but the dealers I've called aren't helping much. Bring it in and we'll look at for you is their answer.

I did just that with my 08GS. However, I did change all my trailer lights to LEDs so the power use would be minimal
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of doing that too but the local shop that I use told me that mixing incandescent bulbs with LED lights might mess up the flasher for signal lights. Did you experience any trouble?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canadaspyder View Post
    I was thinking of doing that too but the local shop that I use told me that mixing incandescent bulbs with LED lights might mess up the flasher for signal lights. Did you experience any trouble?
    All my trailer lights are LEDS and all my Spyder lights are incandescent. I had no problems with flasher speed, Stayed the same.
    Now the electrical system of my 08 GS is less sophisticated than the later models so maybe that helps.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    All my trailer lights are LEDS and all my Spyder lights are incandescent. I had no problems with flasher speed, Stayed the same.
    Now the electrical system of my 08 GS is less sophisticated than the later models so maybe that helps.
    ..... I tapped directly into the rear wiring harness the same way you would do if you added a trailer connection for your car or truck .... never had any issues because the very small load from the LED's didn't affect the OEM lights ..... Mike