Spyder Garage

Default Service question

I will be taking my RT in for service soon. My question is does it make sense to take it to the dealer where I bought it? It is a lot farther than other dealers and I really don't want to waste the time if I don't have to. My reasoning is it makes sense to take it to the place I bought it so they can't blame somebody else if they find a problem, it would be their people who set it up. Does my reasoning make sense or doesn't it really matter? Would like to hear what you guys think.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Selling Dealer

Does BRP care who services your Spyder? Short answer no.

As for me I would take it to the selling dealer.
    Because of the posts and a let them know that you expect the best of services.
    The selling Dealer has taken your money and needs to take care of their customers. That's the way I feel.
    Get what you paid for and better.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't think a service department gives a rats behind where the bike was purchased. They have their rates posted. I have never seen any preferential treatment or discount because they like my business as a loyal customer. I would go with the service department that knows what they're doing regardless of where I purchased the bike. Not all service departments are created equal. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Good start on hopefully a good relationship with dealer. Good for tech to be familiar with the bike & history of services, farkles, quirks along the way. Distance what would be too far? Hopefully get to enjoy a descent ride out of town, maybe a lunch & a pleasant ride back Can still get familiar with other dealers maybe & meet other Ryders. Too many dealers not earning & keeping customers trust, test them feel it out :casual conversations if possible about installing car tires or other things that might be otherwise “questionable “ your just getting started Plenty of information here to compare & find what fits for you.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It's always your call. I used my selling dealer once (initial service) after that I found a dealer over 100 miles from home & have been using them ever since.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

If I ever need service from a dealer, it will not be where I purchased it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

A number of factors here. But there is no reason, other than great service, for loyalty to any particular dealer. Dealers are like doctors. You don't find out whether they are any good or not until it's too late.

If you don't have any specific, compelling reason to return to the selling dealer. I would take it to the closest dealer to get the initial service done. What you want to do is build a relationship with the dealer that you intend to use for everything. If they do a good job, and you are satisfied. Then you've found your spot. If not, you may have to try the next closest dealer the next time. It will be a trial and error process. But it is likely to be the same going back to your selling dealer. You interacted with the sales department on the 1st engagement. Not necessarily the same as the service department.

Do what you think best. There really isn't any wrong answer on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are concerned about reputability, then there are a number of distinguishable signs that indicate whether a dealer and their service department are reputable and qualified or not. If you are unfamiliar with discerning those indicators then Ron is correct. It's a crapshoot.

Spyder Garage

Back when I was riding Harley's, when you bought a new bike they introduced you to the service manager and one of the the service advisors. That started the relationship within the dealership. Whenever you called they asked which advisor you deal with. That kept you in their 'line of sight' and from there your relationship grew. It was a good model and it seemed to work very well, at least at the dealership that I used.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

For me, it is all about service I can trust, and a dealer who appreciates me as a customer. My Alaska experience (2008-2019) was mostly good. In the beginning there were two dealers in the state. Both in Anchorage. One had a really bad reputation, and the other good. I chose the good one and they serviced the five Spyders I purchased from them during my time there.

The bad dealer stopped carrying Spyder in about 2017. Then the good dealer went downhill. They then decided they would not carry Spyders any longer but they would service them. I was definately on my last Spyders, then a life change event. We sold our home in AK and moved to Arkansas. The bad dealer is now back selling and servicing Spyders. I have no idea how that is working out.

Here, I purchased two more Spyders since moving. I bought both from iMotorsports, negotiated through e-mail and had trades picked up and new Spyders delivered. I did not have good negotiating success from two "local" dealers. One would not return calls, and the other would not negotiate.

I am lucky to live within 200 miles or less from two great aftermarket service shops. Spyderpops & Lamonster garage. I have had both F3's serviced and farkeled by each of the two shops. They are my current go to place. Warranty issues could be a problem, but I have had NONE so far with any of the seven Spyders owned.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-17-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red