Spyder Garage

Default Mirror upgrade for 2020 F3-limited

I’m tired of looking at my hips/thighs/elbows.
    What are some quality upgrades?
    Bar end?
    Please mention approx cost with suggestion.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Wide Vu mirrors from SlingMods, peel and stick. BIG difference

Spyder Garage
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Pete, the cost of this is FREE and it's also too easy. Adjust the mirrors to their extreme widest view. You should no longer see you in the mirrors as you will be seeing down the adjacent lanes. To me, that's far more important in the event I need to make a rapid evasive maneuver over to the next lane. I can quickly see what's there or not. To see what's behind, I simply move my head a little. Try it, you might like it.
    I do the same with my cars - adjust them outward so I do not see any of the car. There already is a rear view mirror over the windshield, so the side view mirrors are just that, proving a side view and not a second and third rear view. I can't count the times that has saved me from a collision.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

+1 I have always adjusted my mirrors this way. I don't need to see myself or my vehicle, only what is coming up beside me.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Pete, the cost of this is FREE and it's also too easy. Adjust the mirrors to their extreme widest view. You should no longer see you in the mirrors as you will be seeing down the adjacent lanes. To me, that's far more important in the event I need to make a rapid evasive maneuver over to the next lane. I can quickly see what's there or not. To see what's behind, I simply move my head a little. Try it, you might like it.
    I do the same with my cars - adjust them outward so I do not see any of the car. There already is a rear view mirror over the windshield, so the side view mirrors are just that, proving a side view and not a second and third rear view. I can't count the times that has saved me from a collision.
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding widening the view of the mirrors; I understand the value in doing that to make sure you can see into those infamous blind spots.

In a perfect world, a person would have mirrors that provided both a view of those pesky motorists who arrive with a blindingly fast closing speed from waaay back down the road, straight behind in the view, as well as those drivers who sometimes appear from "nowhere" totally unseen in one's blind spot(s) on either side.

The solution for me may be to find an extra pair of mirrors -- either bar-end or a set which mount on the top cuff of the switchgear on the handlebars like those Lamonster sells (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...se6-lamonster/) -- which cover my "6" perfectly by mounting wider, and adjust the stock F3 mirrors wider to cover lurkers in the blind spots.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Spyder Garage

MOTOSWAMI.......Here's a statistic that might mellow you re seeing behind. Over 75% of car/bike crashes are from the front and most are caused by left turning cars. Last I saw, crashes from the rear are less than 3%. Rather than spending on mirrors, you might want to get and install additional front lighting.
    My two stock, non convex mirrors, set as wide as they can be, provide an extremely wide view of what's beside and behind me. Anything extra would be redundant. On the front of my bike are 6 lights (8 if you include the fender markers) 2 headlights, 2 fog/DRL lights, 2 3,000 lumen road lights - all LED.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    MOTOSWAMI.......Here's a statistic that might mellow you re seeing behind. Over 75% of car/bike crashes are from the front and most are caused by left turning cars. Last I saw, crashes from the rear are less than 3%. Rather than spending on mirrors, you might want to get and install additional front lighting.
    My two stock, non convex mirrors, set as wide as they can be, provide an extremely wide view of what's beside and behind me. Anything extra would be redundant. On the front of my bike are 6 lights (8 if you include the fender markers) 2 headlights, 2 fog/DRL lights, 2 3,000 lumen road lights - all LED.
    Hi RICZ:
    This is proving to be an interesting discussion. My ladyfriend (best 2nd rider I've ever had) would love to regale you with her rendition of the day we were sitting stopped dead at a construction site and I saw a car from behind approaching at a high rate of speed. As I quickly pulled way forward to the side of and ahead of the car we had been stopped behind, the clown who had been approaching slammed on his brakes at the last second and skidded to a stop inches from the bumper of the car we had just been sitting behind. If I hadn't been paying 360-degree attention to my entire surroundings, including what was directly behind me, we wudda been the meat in a two-car sandwich. Hamburger meat.
    Even if rear-end fatalities only account for 3% of the total, I don't want to be part of that statistic.

My front end lighting is not quite up to the standard you've set, which I condone and admire. So far only one extra set of LED's across the frunk line. I'm looking for a good set of LED's to replace the blank spots where fog lights should be, but just haven't settled on the ideal solution. What did you pick?

BTW, I smile at your avatar pic of the Simplex. Way back in the day, there was a character who used to hang out at the Triumph shop in Knoxville, TN. When he mustered out of the Navy at the end of WWII, he rode his Simplex home to Knoxville from the naval base in San Diego. 3000 miles or so? He was met and cheered on his way at several towns along his route by the Simplex dealer in the area. Claimed to have been chased by coyotes in the southwest desert, which he strained desperately to outrun, in addition to other high tales. For some strange reason, he sold his Simplex upon his return to Tennessee, and never was tempted to buy another one. Smile.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Spyder Garage

I ended up with this pair of bar end mirrors: FENRIR CNC Aluminum Alloy Cafe Racer Black Motorcycle Bar End Mirrors
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were $65, but quality gear and the mirrors themselves were distortion-free (as was not the case on a less expensive pair I sourced elsewhere).
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD