Spyder Garage

Default New (to me) ST Limited: Questions

Greetings—
    I just brought home my first Spyder, a 2015 ST Limited in denim blue. I'm the third owner and it had 8775 miles before riding home from Seattle to central Oregon. Moving from two wheels to three. Different, but I think it'll grow on me.
    Two accessories came with it: an Ultimate seat + 1 backrest and the factory fog lights.
    I've scoured the interwebs for a top case rack and case. Givi's rack is no longer available. I've checked an Italian source: nope.
    Will I have to kludge a rack together? There's a Chinese rack on fleabay which the seller says will fit. But I already have Givi side cases—original equipment—and I can't tell if the Chinese rack works with the Givi rack presently in place.
    Have any of you had this dilemma? If so, how did you solve it?
    Any particular tips or warnings or "Make sure you..." statements a new rider needs?

Many thanks!
    Columbia

Spyder Garage

I note this is your first post. and

Cannot give you any help with the saddlebaq info. I had a 2008 and 2009 version of that bike and put the $1K Givi bags on them when BRP had them as an option.

The 998 engine likes high rev's. Most feel that it should be kept in the 5500 rpm range. it really does wake up there. I never used 5th gear until I was over 55 mph in order to keep the rev's up. Most in town driving will be in 1st or 2nd gear.

Enjoy
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-15-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hey Columbia - do you have the sport rack on the back of your Spyder? I did a video on how to attach a Givi Topcase to the Spyder ST using the standard Givi Monokey mounting plate and the Can Am Sport Rack (which you may still be able to find if you don't have it already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gcIJpZBo0

If you have more specific questions PM me and I'll help you out if I can - pic below shows my Monokey plate attached to the Sport Rack on my 2013 ST
    40360FEA-8710-489C-B34F-518753289C82.jpg
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Just looking for additional storage

Few unfortunates with the givi top case: will not have key or color matching to side cases, antenna relocation required. & all parts required totally ignorant price (can find on eBay at times.
    Adding hitch however, few other options can be helpful. & allows option for trailer
    5D5E10C6-DDD4-4C51-BF9E-818D4C8AB245.jpgpakit rack https://pakitrak.com/
    876A9444-470A-4FF0-8E2B-7210531EEA8E.jpeg
    can also go no hitch
    https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...tegory&path=66

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hey guys
    Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I don't have the sport rack: that would be a fairly easy way to get a top case onboard. I've sniffed around the Spyder accessory stores, eBay and Amazon, as well as an Italian source mentioned here, with no immediate joy. I don't want to cobble something together. So I'll continue on with The Quest...!

Spyder Garage

FYI wanted the top box at first too had issues with the $2k+ just for parts, then the lack of color or key matching; Sank that boat. Came across the PakitRac someone here was selling & it works good for what I need. More than frunk & saddle bags alone(not shabby,ok for overnighters), less than trailer. Comes in the room when out of town(Good for a solo ryder week + trips) also can use just the rack for other thingsAFCF74C0-D533-4BE1-B21E-BEE5C247BFC2.jpg
    Rivico also has similar

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/h...ycle-rack-kit/

595BDB8C-CD2E-4880-B09C-C53B5893579D.jpeg
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-15-2021 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Pics,link

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Looks interesting but requires a hitch, which I'm not wanting to put on the bike. The wife is concerned with room for all the necessary stuff (?!) when on the road. "Trailer" is in her vocabulary, Not mine; not yet, anyway. So we'll keep investigating options. I'm disappointed that Can-Am/BRP doesn't support vehicles for very long. Nothing in their warehouse for a 2015 bike. Hmmm. Six years doesn't seem a long time to me. Oh well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Looks interesting but requires a hitch, which I'm not wanting to put on the bike. The wife is concerned with room for all the necessary stuff (?!) when on the road. "Trailer" is in her vocabulary, Not mine; not yet, anyway. So we'll keep investigating options. I'm disappointed that Can-Am/BRP doesn't support vehicles for very long. Nothing in their warehouse for a 2015 bike. Hmmm. Six years doesn't seem a long time to me. Oh well.
    no hitch required. https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...tegory&path=66

Personally wanted the hitch & trailer, haven’t used near as much as want to. So the lighter extras have been working well without removing the hitch. Actually it saved my bacon & acted as crumple zone in one unfortunate incident. Out of control car came at my Lh rear blinker clipped hitch then Got stopped by car behind & lane next to me. 3ECDC901-4ACF-4081-B8A8-35B0159F8005.jpeg

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Whoa! Glad you weren't harmed. Thanks for the reference to a carrier sans hitch. Do you notice any handling differences or does the weight there get overshadowed by the tire/power delivery?

Spyder Garage

Whoa! Glad you weren't harmed. Thanks for the reference to a carrier sans hitch. Do you notice any handling differences or does the weight there get overshadowed by the tire/power delivery?
    2F12502F-9099-4F92-BC9D-08DBF21AD871.jpg 5F0D385B-090F-434B-8E63-E6208C696290.jpg

Found a used replacement hitch & np all too often tow small 4x6utility trailer with riding mower across town(<20m), help some family members. Tows fine the roads/traffic & the work suck
    *(also don’t forget the trailer mode on/off, minor thing*)

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Well, I've found a rack. Sniffing around here I found mention of MBL Innovations. Maurice replied to my email and said his rack would fit and work wwith my Ultimate seat.
    Now I've to decide how much Givi or Shad to put on the bike. My Honda 'cycle had 40 liters and I used every cubic centimeter of it. Wondering how big to go: can pick up an older Givi 52 liter Monokey on Craigslist. Concerned about width.
    Any advice on how big a top case before the Spyder starts looking monstrous?

Spyder Garage

Well, I've found a rack. Sniffing around here I found mention of MBL Innovations. Maurice replied to my email and said his rack would fit and work wwith my Ultimate seat.
    Now I've to decide how much Givi or Shad to put on the bike. My Honda 'cycle had 40 liters and I used every cubic centimeter of it. Wondering how big to go: can pick up an older Givi 52 liter Monokey on Craigslist. Concerned about width.
    Any advice on how big a top case before the Spyder starts looking monstrous?
    Wellfyi someone managed some rather large Bags on F3 possible problem with STL will be the factory antenna location.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dollar-luggage

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Yeah,the antenna will need to move or disappear. I doubt I'll use the radio while riding. It might be of use at a campsite with volume turned way down
    I really can't judgethe look of a 52L case until I see the case held in place.

Spyder Garage

Yeah,the antenna will need to move or disappear. I doubt I'll use the radio while riding. It might be of use at a campsite with volume turned way down
    I really can't judgethe look of a 52L case until I see the case held in place.
    Some others pics around just gotta muddle with search bars (google images help)
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...7&d=1471895681

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Just picked up a Givi E52L top case in very good condition. Rack on top as well. Owner said he had the mount in a box somewhere; the adv made it sound like it was included. So my new rack is to arrive Tuesday; I'll know tonight if original owner found the mount. I'll give the case a thorough cleaning and remove the stickers he put inside. Wanted to key the case with the Givi side cases, but the V35 and E52 don't share lock cylinder designs, so I'm stuck having to use two keys on the luggage. Oh well. If that's my biggest worry I'm doing quite well.
    Things are coming together and I'm liking my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Just picked up a Givi E52L top case in very good condition. Rack on top as well. Owner said he had the mount in a box somewhere; the adv made it sound like it was included. So my new rack is to arrive Tuesday; I'll know tonight if original owner found the mount. I'll give the case a thorough cleaning and remove the stickers he put inside. Wanted to key the case with the Givi side cases, but the V35 and E52 don't share lock cylinder designs, so I'm stuck having to use two keys on the luggage. Oh well. If that's my biggest worry I'm doing quite well.
    Things are coming together and I'm liking my Spyder.
    Welcome aboard, and glad you found a case you like. With a little more research on the internets, you may be able to find a key cylinder and switch one of them out, then have it re-keyed so you do not need two keys. That might be more of a pain than just keeping the two keys, however!

I have 2015 ST as well - but the ST-S, middle model below the Limited - with 5-speed manual shift. If you have not gone to the "sticky" section at the top of the forum yet, good reading there - "Dos and Don'ts for new Spyder Owners". Just my opinion, but I don't think you have to follow the shift patterns as rigidly as they suggest for the V-twin ... you can shift earlier than 5000 rpm ... but it is the opposite of American V-twins in that the higher the rpms, the smoother it runs. 5500-8000 rpm is a sweet spot for this engine. Below 4000, it has adequate power for most driving situations, but can feel a little sluggish / boggy when rolling on the throttle at these lower rpms without a downshift. I am impressed at how smooth it cruises at 60-70 mph, considering it is revving 4500-5500 at those speeds.

Good luck!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

VStar
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm coming from a Honda NC700 with Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission, which is a VERY low-revving engine (but I got 60+ MPG with luggage, and I enjoy l-o-n-g trips; those MilesPG were nice.) so learning to let the engine rev a bit more takes some concentration. I'm taking the "Don't lug the engine" admonition to heart.
    Most Givi cases have similar lock cylinders. The V52 and V35 each use their own cylinder, i.e. can't interchange, i.e. must use different keys. Carrying another key around is no great burden. An indelible pen's black dot will tell me which is which. On my Honda I carried four keys, so one less seems like simplifying; another plus.
    Now if only the Zumo would connect to my Sena headset and let me hear navigation and/or music! That's my next challenge: they pair, but no communication.
    Good thing I like figuring out stuff like that!

Spyder Garage

Welcome. The VTwin likes to rev a lot. I shift at 6,000 and cruise at 5,000. Good power,low vibration,long life so far(68,000+). If you can even get your Zumo to pair with your Sena you are one up on me. Mine wont even pair.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If I figure out Zumo-Sena connectivity I'll post it here.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-30-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Zuo = Zumo ;-)

Spyder Garage

OK Another question. Bike came with an Ultimate seat, passenger backrest. The wife is petite and slender but still feel cramped behind me. I figure I'll need a neew seat, one with more distance between the back edge and the drop for the driver's seat. Question is which seats are interchangeable with a 2015 ST? Will a similar vintage RT seat fit the hardware? Advice or pointers or ideas welcome

Spyder Garage

I think the seats are model specific to the ST but not to year. Call Mark at Hartco International and he can creat whatever you need. Mark has been building seats and fitted sheepskins for over 50 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Pegasus
    Thanks for this information. I've not spent much time in Spyder World, so don't have the foumdation of learning/knowlwdge of many or some here, e.g. you. Thanks for adding to my Spyder education!.
    I have not heard of Hartco or the guy you mentioned: I will check him out. Many thanks.

Spyder Garage

A new question, since this thread seems to cover a variety of issues. I ordered a manual online, a reprint, probably from a pdf. It looks alright, illustrations are mostly crisp, and it's obviously from a BRP original. BUT. There's always a big BUT, isn't there? Throughout the manual the various sections are all labelled "Section XX" as if "XX" is a place-marker that didn't properly pick up its reference from the Table of Contents. Page 27: Section XX. Page 246 "Section XX" Page 463? "Section XX." So it's impossible to find your way through the manual from the T of C. Engine, section 02 appears as Engine Section XX later in the manual.
    Now I've found plenty of grammatical and reference errors in the Owner's Manual I have, also a reproduction of the PDF on BRP's web site, so my expectations of BRP materials is fairly low. But the factory manual is going to be a major hassle to use if I can't locate anything by sections.
    Anyone else found this? Should I return the manual I bought?

Spyder Garage

A new question, since this thread seems to cover a variety of issues. I ordered a manual online, a reprint, probably from a pdf. It looks alright, illustrations are mostly crisp, and it's obviously from a BRP original. BUT. There's always a big BUT, isn't there? Throughout the manual the various sections are all labelled "Section XX" as if "XX" is a place-marker that didn't properly pick up its reference from the Table of Contents. Page 27: Section XX. Page 246 "Section XX" Page 463? "Section XX." So it's impossible to find your way through the manual from the T of C. Engine, section 02 appears as Engine Section XX later in the manual.
    Now I've found plenty of grammatical and reference errors in the Owner's Manual I have, also a reproduction of the PDF on BRP's web site, so my expectations of BRP materials is fairly low. But the factory manual is going to be a major hassle to use if I can't locate anything by sections.
    hard to say this early. Definitely find a dealer with good tech that earn your trust. (Willing to help explain some things, not just “this needs fixing”)

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

I may have the same manual (1270 pages / 138 Meg). Our second Spyder was the same as yours, 2015 ST Limited in Denim Blue. (traded it this April for a '21 RTL). My PDF manual is "searchable", so you can search on various words to help find some of these sections. In some cases, I would then add my own "index" at the front of the manual. (you can use the free PDF viewer "PDF-XChange Viewer" on a Windows PC to add notes to PDF files)
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)