Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenda kanines?

Spyder Garage

There are many shops that wont mount anything but factory original tires. There are also many riders who either don't have the ability and knowledge, or the tools, or have physical limitations as to what they can do. All of these situations are at the mercy of what their dealer will or won't do.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hubby had a tire measure thingy. Hot/ after ride fronts 2.5/32 and rear 4/32. Cold all the tires are at 5/32nds! If it wasn't for vacation coming up I think I would watch them a little longer. Pressure I am 16 in fronts and 28 in rear. I check tire pressure every spring, after an adjustment and before every trip and when winterizing. I ride like I have a throttle and I take the corners safe but fun. Thanks for advice.

Spyder Garage

Kenda Kanines are all gone for this year. They moved their operation from China to Viet Nam because of tariff issues. I was told by them not to expect them to be sold till sometime next ryding season, 2022.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had a rear Kanine installed late last year on my 2020 RTL. I have 11,600 miles on it now and it's doing pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Holly Smokes, we have Copperman with 11.6K miles on his rear Kanine, and another posts only 5K miles and time to change. Strange!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I had a rear Kanine installed late last year on my 2020 RTL. I have 11,600 miles on it now and it's doing pretty good.
    What pressure do you run? I had a Yokohama installed late last year and had to change last week. Got a Kanine on now and also had them put on a centramatic wheel balancer from Lamonster Garage. I ran 22 on my Yokohama and still wore out the middle first.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    What pressure do you run? I had a Yokohama installed late last year and had to change last week. Got a Kanine on now and also had them put on a centramatic wheel balancer from Lamonster Garage. I ran 22 on my Yokohama and still wore out the middle first.
    Yokohama is a quality tire ( not the best, but still well constructed ).... 22 psi IMHO is about 4 lbs. too much ...... But I think it should still have NOT wore in the middle early .... Auto tires in general are much better constructed than Any Kenda tire. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yokohama is a quality tire ( not the best, but still well constructed ).... 22 psi IMHO is about 4 lbs. too much ...... But I think it should still have NOT wore in the middle early .... Auto tires in general are much better constructed than Any Kenda tire. .... Mike
    No offense but I was asking Copperman what pressure he ran on his Kanine rear tire. Thats what I have now and he seemed to be getting pretty good wear out of his. I did read one post recommending 20 somewhere on here.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

No offense but I was asking Copperman what pressure he ran on his Kanine rear tire. Thats what I have now and he seemed to be getting pretty good wear out of his. I did read one post recommending 20 somewhere on here.
    No offense to you either, you have EVERY right to ask Him a Question..... Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd I have the same right to comment in a respectful way on what I feel is pertinent information...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Will be replacing the rear tire on my 2014 RT LE in the near future and probably with the new Kanine, just did the fronts. Mention this because these are available up here in the north in a warehouse in Vancouver BC. Installed M2 shocks as well, rear shock with a 700 lb/in spring. Rides well solo or two up on the lowest ACS setting. Had to calibrate the ACC settings using B.U.D.S. software. The procedure in the OEM service manual requires the rear tire pressure to be 28 psi, had 25 psi in the rear tire. Don't want to get into a head bashing regarding tire pressures, but interesting to read the different rear tire pressures used.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I keep it between 28-30 psi.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Some people don't worry about either tread blocks! or wear bars!

139EA3BF-62E0-4589-9F96-987A795A904F.jpeg
    That's the most even wear I've ever seen on a rear tyre - do you know what pressures it was running?

Here is a rear Kanine at 15,000 miles on a 2019 F3L, inflated to 23 psi cold (obviously too high).

139EA3BF-62E0-4589-9F96-987A795A904F.jpeg

What are good/acceptable pressures for the rear?

We both ride pretty hard and fast - 10-over where acceptable and pretty quick through the corners (even my wife, this is her F3L rear tyre). I've now dropped the rear to 20 psi cold, but on my 2015 F3S with factory Kendas that seems to provide a slight rollover effect under hard cornering acceleration through roundabouts and the like, which wasn't noticeable at slightly higher pressures.

.139EA3BF-62E0-4589-9F96-987A795A904F.jpeg

My wife seems to take left hand corners faster than right, judging from the front and rear tyre wear...
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Interesting comments about K9's. I am now unhappy that I just did not install the fronts when I had the chance earlier this year.

If I have to park my F3's because I cannot get tires on them, I am not going to be a happy camper. I am not comfortable with a "non-knowledgeable" (to the Spyder) person or company messing around with the tires. Fronts, not much of an issue for me, but I don't want them messing with the back tire, with the belts, tension, etc. going on. I have a few more months but then, it will be crunch time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just trying to upload an image or two

FC8F09C4-8002-49D5-BB00-73C8C6AB143B.jpeg
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Just trying to upload an image or two

FC8F09C4-8002-49D5-BB00-73C8C6AB143B.jpeg
    Thanks T, well it doesn't look like that tire is wearing evenly ..What is the measurement in the middle not at the wear bar ????? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just bought 2 front Kanines out here. Only 2 left now in the whole country, and 0 rears. Awaiting arrival and we’ll see how they go. The bike shops balancer is broken, so it will be interesting to see how they go in the short period before it is repaired.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can take the fronts yo a auto tire shop to balance. They just need a smaller cone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You can take the fronts yo a auto tire shop to balance. They just need a smaller cone.
    Only sometimes, Triker……..I took my fronts to an auto tyre shop to have Kuhmos fitted on my ‘16 F3, and then they couldn’t balance them because they didn’t have the smaller cone. Luckily, car tyres are pretty well made these days, so balancing wasn’t necessary on the Kuhmo. This time I went to a bike/ag vehicle shop for Kendas, and they don’t have a cone to fit.

Hopefully, the Kanines are better balanced than the old Kenda Radials until I can find somewhere to balance them properly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have bought my own cone since most tire shops didn't have the small cone.
    I did find one place recently that said he probably has the right cone but haven't the need to use them yet.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just love these tire threads. For some reason, I get great joy reading all the complaints of tire performance of this and that brand, how Kenda’s are crap, etc.. First, I ryde most of the year, all kinds of terrain, weather, road surfaces and do so in my ryding style, which is fast and sometimes furious. The twistier the road, the better to my liking. Second, I’ve ridden about 150K miles, 46 states in the lower 48 (missing RI & CT), on 3 Spyder. I’ve used and worn out a fair number of tires, of 5 different brands. I’ve used Kenda’s the most. Third, I just checked my Service Record for my current F3 Ltd. Total mileage is 54,143. The Kanine on the rear was changed last week at Spyderpops for another Kanine. The one removed had 15,633 miles on it. Spyderpops’ super staff checked out the front brake pads, which are the original pads with plenty of pad remaining) and front tires, which are plain ol’ Kenda’s. Those plain Kend’s have 20,100 miles and are near the first wear bar. I don’t have a reason, but in my opinion, Kenda tires are far from crap and in my experience they have outlasted the other supposed “higher quality” car tires.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I just love these tire threads. For some reason, I get great joy reading all the complaints of tire performance of this and that brand, how Kenda’s are crap, etc.. First, I ryde most of the year, all kinds of terrain, weather, road surfaces and do so in my ryding style, which is fast and sometimes furious. The twistier the road, the better to my liking. Second, I’ve ridden about 150K miles, 46 states in the lower 48 (missing RI & CT), on 3 Spyder. I’ve used and worn out a fair number of tires, of 5 different brands. I’ve used Kenda’s the most. Third, I just checked my Service Record for my current F3 Ltd. Total mileage is 54,143. The Kanine on the rear was changed last week at Spyderpops for another Kanine. The one removed had 15,633 miles on it. Spyderpops’ super staff checked out the front brake pads, which are the original pads with plenty of pad remaining) and front tires, which are plain ol’ Kenda’s. Those plain Kend’s have 20,100 miles and are near the first wear bar. I don’t have a reason, but in my opinion, Kenda tires are far from crap and in my experience they have outlasted the other supposed “higher quality” car tires.
    .... I'm glad you like your Kenda's .... The new Kanine's appear to be better than the orig. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd editions of the Kenda tires. .... Only time will tell if they #1 last longer and #2.- are less likely to be defective ( when new ) .... If you have followed my tire threads / posts . I have always said IF your Kenda is NOT defective ( which a lot of them are compared to Auto tires ) and you have good front alignment than you can expect 20 to 25,000 mi. from the FRONT tires and 8 to 12,000mi. from the REAR. ... but in general any Auto tire will far exceed those numbers and because of their more robust construction are a SAFER tire.... This is based on reported use and Tire Science .... Ride safe - Ride happy .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks T, well it doesn't look like that tire is wearing evenly ..What is the measurement in the middle not at the wear bar ????? .... Mike
    It is not wearing evenly, but that would probably be a result of running 23 psi, possibly a little more earlier on.

The centre tread depth is 2.5 mm near the wear bar, as shown in the photo. That 2.5 mm reading is the tread depth in the groove, not the depth of the wear bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    It is not wearing evenly, but that would probably be a result of running 23 psi, possibly a little more earlier on.

The centre tread depth is 2.5 mm near the wear bar, as shown in the photo. That 2.5 mm reading is the tread depth in the groove, not the depth of the wear bar.

OK thanks - yes it is wearing MORE in the center .... At 23 psi I think it's too LOW not too High .... From research I learned the Kanine's are made to similar Kenda spyder tires .... meaning the casing's are weak ..... this causes pre-mature wear in the center section of the tire ..... un-fortunately there is no " magic " PSI to fix the Kenda / Kanine center wear issue .... any thing above about 25-30 MPH is going to cause the tire to BALOON .... this is what causes the Center wear ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    And the problem with going to a higher quality "Car" tire is??????????????????????????
    Nothing.
    After reading many posts and topics here I thought it was a no brainer to have a Kumho and the Vredsteins installed last week.
    64874519643__940301A3-F268-4884-93E3-83CF2ACE04F8.jpg

64874518057__1AAAFA24-B9E3-4609-AF59-5F221E4D058D.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Aparently there are issues with availability with other Kenda tires...My Gravely ZT HD 60 has them...Very odd size for a ztr mower...22/12/12...Gravely lists them as backordered with NO timeframe when they will get a new shipment in...I had to search the internet more than I wanted to find one sitting on a shelf somewhere and have it shipped to me...