Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenda kanines?

Spyder Garage

Default Kenda kanines?

Has anyone had experience with the KR20 Kenda Kanine fronts, by this time? I thought that I read that a few people were trying them out. I haven't seen any follow ups, yet.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

No fronts for me yet...in the next few months for sure. I put a rear on a couple months ago. So far, so good. About 3K miles on that one.

Yes, there are some out there with fronts on. Have not heard anything either. No news, good news?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had LaMonster install Kanines all the way around on May 14 of this year. Since then have apx. 2000 miles on them. I am very pleased with all three tires. Spyder handles great and no issues of any nature. None of the three tires required significant weights to balance. Traction is great on dry and wet pavement. I am running 20 lbs on the front and 28 lbs on the rear. Way too early to guess about longevity or wear. No complaints of any kind.

Spyder Garage

I put them on my prior bike and had a good 8k on them and they looked brand new. Real happy with them. I installed new ones on my current bike. Again, no issues. I see no need to use car tires anymore.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I put them on my prior bike and had a good 8k on them and they looked brand new. Real happy with them. I installed new ones on my current bike. Again, no issues. I see no need to use car tires anymore.
    The Actual construction of the Kanine is almost identical to that of the Kenda tires. To my way of thinking that doesn't inspire confidence because the Kenda's were / are Crap..... Some Kenda's are not defective, but according to members here a lot of them were .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I ordered a rear Kanine on the 9th, Still waiting. No email saying they were shipped either. This will be my first Kanine. I thought id give them a try because of good reviews so far.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've got some customers who are running the Kanines. They report even wear and lighter weights to balance. Good traction, wet and dry, and no issues. Too small of a test sample to really know for sure. But good results so far. The only complaint I've gotten from 1 customer is that he feels the rear is wearing faster than his previous car tire at 3,000 miles. Too soon to know what kind of mileage he will end up with. Many mistake Tread Blocks for Wear Bars and change tires too soon. Still, with a softer tread compound to get better traction, lower mileage is to be expected. How much lower is what we all want to know.

Some people don't worry about either tread blocks! or wear bars!

ToyoTire.jpg

If I can ever get a set into the shop long enough to put on my Spyder, and not have a customer come and buy them, I am going to replace the greasy in the rain Falkens I have not (with very few miles on them) to the Kanines.

Bottom line, the jury is still out. But the preliminary findings look very good unless you want the most mileage you can get. I ride in the mountains and also in the rain. I'm willing to trade some mileage for better traction, to a point. We'll see.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

From my statistics days...a representative sample is 27 or more. We are far from that many reports.

My report is only partial. Rear only, three K miles. Looks like new still.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-18-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    From my statistics days...a good sample is 27 or more. We are far from that many reports.

My report is only partial. Rear only, three K miles. Looks like new still.
    Interesting that you say 3k and like new. A customer tells me 3k and he is disappointed at the rate of wear. It goes to your statement of insufficient data points. There are always variables and there will be a spread. Tire pressures being just one. But as balance, roundness of the tire and no cord separation (issues fairly common, and in my opinion, nearly universal with some aspects), have not been reported, to my knowledge. I am fairly confident that if the Kanines were of the same poor construction and quality control as the originals, we'd be hearing about it by now.

Yes, more users over longer periods are needed. But I think it is good news so far.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-16-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, rate of tyre wear is not one of my big concerns. I want - a tyre that will be changed by ANY CanAm dealer, a tyre that is fairly easily balanced without having to buy a weight producing factory, and a tyre that rides well and is safe in wet and dry……..and from the reports I have seen, the Kanine is looking the goods for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Have been researching tire availability for my 2014 RT LE. Phoned the local dealer, just over an hour up island regarding price and install. Cost of Kenda tires is approximately $130.00 CDN plus tax. For the dealer to install it's shop time and rate at $120.00 CDN/HR. Would have thought that the dealer would have a set rate to install tires they sell. Will be going to a few local tire shops to determine if I can get the tires I have found available in Canada and what the install cost would be.

Looking at front tires (all in CDN):

Kumho Solus KH16 - 155/60 R15 - ~$89.00 ea plus tax
    Continental Procontact - 155/60 R15 - ~$108.00 plus tax
    Federal 595 EVO - 165/55 R15 - ~$158.00 plus tax

The 155/60 R15 are almost identical to the 165/60 R15. The tire width is slightly smaller by 0.4 inches, not much change in tire revolutions.

Contacted Counteract Beads in Guelph, Ontario for the recommended bead weight on install. 2 ounces per front tire, and three ounces for rear. Probably put a 1/4 ounce more in each.

Edit - contacted a car tire dealer that is closer. This dealer has the Kumho Solar KH16 tire in stock because these are used on the smart cars. They may be able to install, but would have to take in. $302.00 CDN installed - forgot to ask if taxes in. May do this sooner than later. The lady I was talking to also mentioned that they provide a lot of two wheel motorcyclists with car tires for their motorcycles.
    Last edited by Rednaxs60; 07-16-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: additional information
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Interesting information, Rednax, but I’m not sure that this is the right thread for it as the thread is about how people are finding their Kenda Kanines performing .
    There are already enough aftermarket car tyre threads without taking the chance that this Kanines one may go down that rathole.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
    Have been researching tire availability for my 2014 RT LE. Phoned the local dealer, just over an hour up island regarding price and install. Cost of Kenda tires is approximately $130.00 CDN plus tax. For the dealer to install it's shop time and rate at $120.00 CDN/HR. Would have thought that the dealer would have a set rate to install tires they sell. Will be going to a few local tire shops to determine if I can get the tires I have found available in Canada and what the install cost would be.

The 155/60 R15 are almost identical to the 165/60 R15. The tire width is slightly smaller by 0.4 inches, not much change in tire revolutions.

Contacted Counteract Beads in Guelph, Ontario for the recommended bead weight on install. 2 ounces per front tire, and three ounces for rear. Probably put a 1/4 ounce more in each.

Edit - contacted a car tire dealer that is closer. This dealer has the Kumho Solar KH16 tire in stock because these are used on the smart cars. They may be able to install, but would have to take in. $302.00 CDN installed - forgot to ask if taxes in. May do this sooner than later. The lady I was talking to also mentioned that they provide a lot of two wheel motorcyclists with car tires for their motorcycles.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You are lucky if you can get Kanines. I don't know of anywhere in the USA where you can get them right now. I can't.

You don't say which Kenda you were pricing. I do not recommend the OEM Kenda (Not Kanine). As for price of install. Different models can take more or less time to do the job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Interesting information, Rednax, but I’m not sure what it has to do with a question about how people are finding their Kenda Kanines performing .
    There are already enough aftermarket car tyre threads without sending this Kanines one down that rathole.

Pete
    My bad. Do not have an issue with Kenda tires, just availability in my local area.
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

My bad. Do not have an issue with Kenda tires, just availability in my local area.
    Well, I'd say many of the rest of us would like to get the Kendas you're getting. Maybe the cooler weather helps to keep them from wearing so badly in the center and failing as often. But it wouldn't help the out-of-round and excessive weight to balance them. Maybe they just like Canada better! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Had Kenda Kanines installed front and rear.
    Have near 3000 miles so far. I like them !!! Good grip, handling and traction.
    Running 24 lbs front and 30 lbs rear. Aggressive rider !!
    LOL Ask Minnesota riders that know me, how I ride !!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, sorry…… that wasn’t supposed to sound as much like a lecture as it did, Rednax…….it is just that I have seen so many good threads go down the toilet once aftermarket car tyres are mentioned.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I had the kenda kanine placed on rear last summer. At 5,000 miles I am down to the wear bars . I could try a sqeek another 1,000? Maybe. But going on a vacation so am getting a new tire. I am disappointed with the milage. I can't remember what air pressure I have in it.... so it could be my contribution to the early wear....

What pressure do people generally run in the kenda kanine front and rear? I ride a F3 limited with rider/gear weight of 250 # ish. I am also going to try nitrogen to fill tires with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    Has anyone had experience with the KR20 Kenda Kanine fronts, by this time? I thought that I read that a few people were trying them out. I haven't seen any follow ups, yet.
    I replaced all three stock Kenda tires with the KR20 Kenda Kanine late last year and have about 4000 miles on them. My overall impression is these are MUCH BETTER tires than stock in terms of how they handle (I just put 1500 mile on them this past week during a Black Hills visit). With only 4000 miles, it's probably too soon to judge longevity but my impression is the Kanine front tires are going to last longer than stock. The jury is still out for the longevity of the back tires but my thoughts is they'll last longer than stock too but won't beat some of the favorite "car tires" that people advocate for here. Given that my dealer carries them, I'll likely get them again just to save the hassle of dealing with dealers that won't put non-BRP approved tires on the Spyders.

Having learned my lesson on the stock, I'm putting 19 lbs in the front and 27 lbs in the back.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I had the kenda kanine placed on rear last summer. At 5,000 miles I am down to the wear bars . I could try a sqeek another 1,000? Maybe. But going on a vacation so am getting a new tire. I am disappointed with the milage. I can't remember what air pressure I have in it.... so it could be my contribution to the early wear....

What pressure do people generally run in the kenda kanine front and rear? I ride a F3 limited with rider/gear weight of 250 # ish. I am also going to try nitrogen to fill tires with.
    Be sure you are at the Wear Bars and not the Tread Blocks. The tread blocks come up much more quickly than do the wear bars. You'll throw your tire away much too early if you get this wrong.

How is the tire wearing across the full width of the rear tire? Even or wearing out in the middle?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, sorry…… that wasn’t supposed to sound as much like a lecture as it did, Rednax…….it is just that I have seen so many good threads go down the toilet once aftermarket car tyres are mentioned.

Pete
    No worries. Too many variables when it comes to what tire(s) to use. Tires are an interesting subject regardless of the forum. My 1200 Goldwing is a good example. Have had good experience with Michelin Commander II, changed out with 30,000 Kms on them and not to the wear bars. Have used Shinko Tourmaster at half the price, lasted 20,000 Kms not at the wear bars.- still using Shinko on the 1200. Would never recommend Shinko tires for an 1800 - BTDT.

Alignment, tire pressure and balance are key to tire longevity as is the suspension. More tires have been trashed because of soft, worn out suspension, and suspension is the only system that keeps the tires firmly planted on the road. The motorcycling industry leaves the onus on the owner's unlike the auto industry. Go to a tire shop and there are posters that provide information on what a tire looks like and why. Unless you fix the cause of the tire failure/condition, you'll be back because of the same reason.

To give a better tire use representation as has been mentioned, I would recommend the following information to be provided:

1. Riding style: aggressive or not, in between, adhere to speed limit
    2. Riding profile: solo/two-up with percentage
    3. Why did you change?
    4. Alignment: yes/no - what type: DIY, laser, string, or other
    5. Tire pressure: how much and how often checked
    6. Tire balance: once when installed with lead weights, use bead technology - continual balance adjustment, Centramatic balancers - continual balance adjustment, Ride-On tire sealant and balance product - continual balance adjustment - my favorite, or a mix of lead weights and other balance technologies
    7. Suspension upgrades: sway bar, front/rear shocks, aftermarket add ons such as BajaRon's preload adjusters for front shocks, upgraded springs on OEM shocks
    8. Urban versus rural
    9. Trailer towing

Just some additional thoughts on this issue. May find a report that mirrors your riding profile.

Cheers

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I called Kenda yesterday to see why my tire was not delivered yet. He said They were all out and are not going to have any till next year. He went on to say the terriff's from China were eating their lunch so they were moving their operation to Viet Nam. Once they begin to start making tires again they needed to do testing to make sure they were made to their standards. He said next riding season before they started to sell them again. He did mention Lamonster Garage but I told him they sold them all already.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Well .. Time for a quality car tire.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I called Kenda yesterday to see why my tire was not delivered yet. He said They were all out and are not going to have any till next year. He went on to say the terriff's from China were eating their lunch so they were moving their operation to Viet Nam. Once they begin to start making tires again they needed to do testing to make sure they were made to their standards. He said next riding season before they started to sell them again. He did mention Lamonster Garage but I told him they sold them all already.
    I saw this coming...I brought two rear kanines when they were available...I have a spare rear tire in my garage..look at what's going on in Taiwan and china..look at the news...my front tires are new they are kanines..and I brought two rear tires...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the problem with going to a higher quality "Car" tire is??????????????????????????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L