Spyder Garage

Default F3L - strange sound at 4,000-4,100 RPM

I’ve only had the bike for two weeks and getting ready to take it to the dealership for the 900 mile break in checkup and oil change tomorrow (it’s a freebie I negotiated!). I’ll be discussing a strange sound and ‘feel’ from the engine when I hit around 4,000 RPM, but was just wondering if this is normal or an abnormality.

I purchased the bike assuming it was ‘new’, with like 5 miles. While at the dealership, I noticed it had 45 miles on it as I was waiting for the paperwork to be completed. A bit later, it’s now closing time and raining. After donning rain gear and prepping to leave the parking lot, I was playing with the controls and hit the odometer. There was actually 147 miles on the bike (the 45 I saw was actually a trip meter). Needless to say, I was ticked, felt deceived, marched back in to the shop and told them so - hence the free 900 mile service.
    Come to find out a few days later, the bike was used, supposedly, ‘by the shop’ during a customer event ride and was not used as a demo. Don’t know if this possible ‘not demo use/abuse’ could have anything to do with the strange sound/feel.
    Any input is appreciated.

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    Ultimate Backrest, Bottle Holder, Baja Ron Sway bar, Cat Delete Pipe, Freedom Windshield, Highway brackets/Black Demond pegs, Upgraded Tension Roller, FOBO Tire Pressure Monitor
    TricLED:
    Sequential LED Spyder Fender Lights, Run/Brake/Turn Strobe Light Kit, Brake flasher
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:
    Ciro phone holder/mount, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn/Wiring Kit, Short Reach Handlebar

Spyder Garage

So what's the strange sound?

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing here now but is the Spyder a new 2020 or 2021 as you don't say in your post. Well to clearify things up the first first service is not due until 3000 miles. Sounds like you need to find another dealer. As far as the strange noise I think we need a little more information like, speed, what gear your in, etc.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Guess the year would help - 2021. The sound and feel is different at 4,000 RPM, 6th gear and isn’t exactly like a grinding, but it’s definitely different above and below the 4,000-4,100 range, riding at highway speeds: 65-80MPH. First Can Am for me as I’m used to the Harley and Yamaha V-Star sound, so this may be normal and I just don’t know it.

The 900 mile service mark was in the manual, hence my reference.
    Yeah, once the dealership installs a few things I negotiated Thursday, along with the first service, all future work will be done either at home or a local shop.
    Service work reviews at all the dealerships around town suck!

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    Ultimate Backrest, Bottle Holder, Baja Ron Sway bar, Cat Delete Pipe, Freedom Windshield, Highway brackets/Black Demond pegs, Upgraded Tension Roller, FOBO Tire Pressure Monitor
    TricLED:
    Sequential LED Spyder Fender Lights, Run/Brake/Turn Strobe Light Kit, Brake flasher
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:
    Ciro phone holder/mount, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn/Wiring Kit, Short Reach Handlebar

Spyder Garage

Just pulled the operators guide again. Not sure where I (and my hubby) saw the 900 mile initial service. NOW, I only see 3,000 for the first service.

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    TricLED:
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:

Spyder Garage

I think I would be reaching out to BRP and inform them of the miss representation of their product. You might get lucky and they may end up giving you some additional warranty which is what they do when you buy a demo or a program bike. I would also contact the state and see if they titled it as used or new.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2katz View Post
    Guess the year would help - 2021. The sound and feel is different at 4,000 RPM, 6th gear and isn’t exactly like a grinding, but it’s definitely different above and below the 4,000-4,100 range, riding at highway speeds: 65-80MPH. First Can Am for me as I’m used to the Harley and Yamaha V-Star sound, so this may be normal and I just don’t know it.
    Probably the belt vibration. All Spyders have done it from the beginning. Each model has slightly different points, but they all seem to vibrate at 70 - 75 MPH. That's why there are so many vibration dampeners on the after market. Read through this thread plus just search the forum. See if this is what you have.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ation-the-belt

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The belt could need to be adjusted as well, they do stretch out when new!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Heading to the dealership now, for the negotiated item(s) install. I’ll have them check the belt at the same time. Hopefully this solves the ‘issue’. Makes me feel like something more is wrong and if this is the fix, hooray!!
    Thx for the suggestion(s)!!

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    TricLED:
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon: