Spyder Garage

Default Anyone upgraded to 5 bolt 4-1/2 pattern Hubs and 13" Wheels - RT622?

Anyone upgraded the hubs to a 5 bolt 4 1/2 bolt pattern and upgraded to a 13" wheels?

13tire.jpg

Just wondering..

Spyder Garage

Ultratow_axle_Specifications.jpg

specifically UltraTow #57225 high speed hub 5 bolt on 4.50 spacing with L44640 inner and outer bearings and comes with 1.25 and 1.50 seals. More options on wheels and tires over 4 bolt.

Spyder Garage

Follow up. Well, don't.. The axle may work, the tire probably won't. I replaced my 4.80 x 12 tire with a ST145/R12 high speed radial from E-Trailer. Excellent tire, but here is what I had to do. The tire is a little wider than the 4.80 bias ply. After mounting, I noticed a flange on the axle side that was within and almost touching the tire. To close for my standard. ok no problem I just used a grinder and reduced the amount of metal hanging over that edge. Actually like it better being more flush and away from the tire area. Little paint and job done. almost little over 1/4 inch clearance now. Didn't grind into the weld area so it didn't impact structural integrity. ok I thought clearance issue resolved. Install the tire/wheel and a quick spin of the wheel, still a rubbing sound from some where... looking back into the wheel well, dang the shock spring was just slightly rubbing the tire sidewall. Ever so lightly but dang.. Ordered 1/4 wheel spacer as I just need to move wheel out just a little bit to give clearance away from the shock.. Used flat washers to verify, spacing thickness. Moral of the story. anything over a 145 would be to big in tire diameter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The WHEEL might be an upgrade but the tire certainly won't.

It has that brand name that many of us won't even mention.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

ok, the update on this.. the e-trailer ST145/12 tire performed outstanding on a recent 1000 mile trip. Tire pressure reading on the tire was 65 psi max cold tire pressure, since the radial was different than the bias ply, I didn't want a stiff ride on the trailer, so I only used 60 psi cold.. Given that the temperature was going to range from 78 degrees in am and reach 102 degrees on the trip, and given that the pressure would increase due to high temp, and hot pavement, 60 psi seemed a reasonable cold pressure number.. it ended up working out perfect. You will need the 1/4 wheel spacer if you go radial for sure.. happy pullin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    The WHEEL might be an upgrade but the tire certainly won't. It has that brand name that many of us won't even mention..
    Actually, Kenda makes excellent trailer tires.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball1800 View Post
    ok, the update on this.. the e-trailer ST145/12 tire performed outstanding on a recent 1000 mile trip. Tire pressure reading on the tire was 65 psi max cold tire pressure, since the radial was different than the bias ply, I didn't want a stiff ride on the trailer, so I only used 60 psi cold.. Given that the temperature was going to range from 78 degrees in am and reach 102 degrees on the trip, and given that the pressure would increase due to high temp, and hot pavement, 60 psi seemed a reasonable cold pressure number.. it ended up working out perfect. You will need the 1/4 wheel spacer if you go radial for sure.. happy pullin
    That bit bolded above is only HALF of what that little Max Load @ Max Pressure Placard reads, and that Maximum Cold Pressure is ONLY EVER INTENDED to be used IF & WHEN you are actually carrying the Maximum Load listed on the sidewall in the rest of that statement

So if your Spyder wasn't towing a dirty great trailer & load far beyond it's listed maximum tow capacity, then unless the Maximum Load listed on the tire was only about 200 pounds, almost certainly your trailer tires were MASSIVELY OVER-INFLATED for the load those tires were carrying, and they would've been running on a very narrow little strip of tread in the centre of the tire's tread layers, exposing the tires to all sorts of road hazards & potential failures that you luckily avoided; as well as significantly overworking the suspension &/or shaking up the trailer & stressing/vibrating everything in &/or on the trailer, including its frame & components - and the ride would've still been waaaayyy harsher, unsafe, & more damaging than it needed to be!

Sure, the load on a pneumatic tire is largely carried by the air & air pressure inside it, and as a result smaller tire's do generally need a little more air pressure to carry a given load than a larger tire, and bias ply tires do generally need a tad more air than a radial for the same given load, but for both types of tire construction, that difference is generally in the order of just a few pounds pressure extra - so unless you were actually imposing something close to the Maximum Load listed on that tire/those tires,ie, close to the Max Load that goes with the Maximum Cold Pressure listed on the sidewall, then you really shouldn't have been running anywhere near that listed Max Cold Pressure....

It might've worked out OK for you this time.... But that doesn't mean it was anywhere near safe or good for the tires, the trailer, its load, or even for you, the tow vehicle, &/or any other road users around you!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-08-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!