Spyder Garage

Default Ground Wire Location?

OK My 2014 ST Sometimes pops when I hit the start button n the screen goes grey. I have made sure the battery terminals are tight.Im thinkin the ground might need to be tightened? OR....Maybe the starter wire?The "pop" sound comes from the left front........... Anybody else had this issue? And what has to be done to get to these connections? TYAIA Tony

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK My 2014 ST Sometimes pops when I hit the start button n the screen goes grey. I have made sure the battery terminals are tight.Im thinkin the ground might need to be tightened? OR....Maybe the starter wire?The "pop" sound comes from the left front........... Anybody else had this issue? And what has to be done to get to these connections? TYAIA Tony
    I'm not so sure that's the cause ...( have the plug wires ever been changed , the BRP ones are junk ). however there is a " Main " ground near the battery ..... I wouldn't touch it , some here have and discovered getting to the nut that you can't see is a B*tch ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Solenoid is accessible from battery compartment; when looking at battery from front should be on Rh. Usually got to remove battery to check solenoid connections(& maybe use a mirror) Also age of battery?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Screen shot is from the 2014 service manual. But something does not look right to me. 2013s had the jumper posts but the 2014 I do not think had. Even if you don't it should be close. Mikes concerns are for 2012 and older GS and RS models. Does not apply to yours. If yours matches the diagram then it is easy because the negative jump post is the main ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

First things first, I'd make sure your battery is PROPERLY charged AND get your battery load tested. A poorly charged or just a tired battery could be the cause of the issues you are describing!

As for the ground on the frame, after jacking up the front of your Spyder, putting it on axle stands, and removing the front left wheel,; look forward into the middle of the Spyder from behind the front left brake disc. In the middle just behind the back wall of the frunk you should be able to see the back of the battery & the battery leads - follow the negative lead that comes across from the other side of the battery & snakes around the frame until you see where it's bolted securely onto the frame.... or where it should be bolted securely onto the frame! That particular cable has a terminal in the middle of the cable there, so after checking that it's properly secured & tightened down on a clean bright spot of metal in that spot, you should probably follow the cable on as far as you can & check every earth point to make sure they're all properly secured & tight

Another thing to watch out for is that the bolts on your battery terminals themselves - they MIGHT just be too long & so bottoming out in the battery post! Adding star washers between the terminal 'spade' & the bolt head can not only mean that your terminals never work loose again, but also that the bolt actually tightens down onto the terminal, instead of just 'getting tight' as it bottoms out in its little hole! It'd probably also pay to check that the terminal ends themselves are tight & soldered properly onto the cable, even if the bolts holding the terminals onto the frame are tight!! The metal terminal fittings have been known to be poorly fitted onto the cable! And if they are loose, it doesn't matter HOW tight the bolts are!! Could also pay to check the bolts on the back of the starter etc, and probably even more importantly, the bolts on the DPS terminals! The DPS is a really power hungry unit!!

I'm not necessarily saying any of this will definitely solve your issues, but they're all things I've encountered in a variety of similar situations, so may possibly be at least contributing!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!