Thread: BRAND NEW Tire

Spyder Garage

Default BRAND NEW Tire

FWIW, I received brand new General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15 94T tire from Amazon today, ordered 7/11. When I checked the DOT mfg date it read "2121"; you can't get 'em much newer than that. Cost was $95.98 including NC and Mecklenburg County sales tax. Wally World didn't have local pick up of tire and price online was $115 and change with tax and earliest delivery 7/20. I'll have several hundred miles on the new sneaker by then.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FWIW, I received brand new General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15 94T tire from Amazon today, ordered 7/11. When I checked the DOT mfg date it read "2121"; you can't get 'em much newer than that. Cost was $95.98 including NC and Mecklenburg County sales tax. Wally World didn't have local pick up of tire and price online was $115 and change with tax and earliest delivery 7/20. I'll have several hundred miles on the new sneaker by then.
    Good for you .... I've been recommending that tire for about 6 yrs. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

That's the tire I ran on my 2014 RTL. (Based upon Mikes' recommendation) I was very happy with it. It had over 15K miles when I sold the bike and it had no signs of needing replacement. My PSI was 18#s..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It's my third Altimax and I have been very satisfied with them.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

i just ordered the same tire from Amazon a month ago too. got just over 22,000 miles. my 2nd one now
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I think 20-22K miles is a good planning figure for that tire and the ultimate discriminator is how much high speed touring one does IMO. I elected to change my first tire early at 19.7K because T was going on a 5K+ tour and didn't want to endure the hassle of changing one out on the far side of beyond at a dealership I knew nothing about. That tire had a good 2K+ left on it. The one I'm replacing now has just shy of 18K on it including the long tour but the "Replace Tire" warning is showing on one of the indicator alerts and I have only 90 mi to the dealership. I've also been playing with tire pressure on the second one and will start the new sneaker at 18 psi. Hope that pressure will spread the load out some more totally across the tire and allow me to get max life out of it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

even with that GOOD tire,,,,, almost to wear bars......started to have severe hydroplaning twice. if i didn't have some off road experience and dirt bike racing, i wouldn't have noticed it start to wander bad on the rear. side to fish tail, i was able to keep it corrected and slow down, but 2nd time it happened that night i ordered new one. the spyder is light in back tire riding solo. 1st time i was on secondary road, thought i was in the "were all wheels run depression". 2nd time was on 4 lane interstate. rain was heavy enough for cars to have there 4 way flashers on, i was doing 45mph in 1st lane
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    even with that GOOD tire,,,,, almost to wear bars......started to have severe hydroplaning twice. if i didn't have some off road experience and dirt bike racing, i wouldn't have noticed it start to wander bad on the rear. side to fish tail, i was able to keep it corrected and slow down, but 2nd time it happened that night i ordered new one. the spyder is light in back tire riding solo. 1st time i was on secondary road, thought i was in the "were all wheels run depression". 2nd time was on 4 lane interstate. rain was heavy enough for cars to have there 4 way flashers on, i was doing 45mph in 1st lane
    I'd like to give a little in-sight to the " Hydroplaning " thing .... I have been given Professional Training on this topic, and the first thing I was told was - Every tire is capable of " Hydro-planing " even the Race cars at LeMans that cost about $ 3,000.00 Each .... the second thing was - the petro-chemicals that are on the road surface ( and they vary from spot to spot ) are usually what cause the " Hyfro-planing ". It's more than just the amount of Water and the Tread depth involved. I always recommend getting the best WET road tire you can .... but don't rely on that alone ... common sense should be your guide ./.... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I think 20-22K miles is a good planning figure for that tire and the ultimate discriminator is how much high speed touring one does IMO. I elected to change my first tire early at 19.7K because T was going on a 5K+ tour and didn't want to endure the hassle of changing one out on the far side of beyond at a dealership I knew nothing about. That tire had a good 2K+ left on it. The one I'm replacing now has just shy of 18K on it including the long tour but the "Replace Tire" warning is showing on one of the indicator alerts and I have only 90 mi to the dealership. I've also been playing with tire pressure on the second one and will start the new sneaker at 18 psi. Hope that pressure will spread the load out some more totally across the tire and allow me to get max life out of it.
    Those " tread depth warnings " are like the yellow speed signs ..... they are advisements .... I go by what the Depth actually measures .... That way there are NO lawyers involved ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Where are you getting yours installed? I’m in Huntersville and will be replacing my tire soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Those " tread depth warnings " are like the yellow speed signs ..... they are advisements .... I go by what the Depth actually measures .... That way there are NO lawyers involved ..... Mike
    Hey Mike, what is the actual recommended depth measurement for replacing the rear tire? I bought a new rear tire waiting to be changed out, but not down to tread indicators yet, but pretty close. I was thinking of replacing it asap, but if I can wait til riding season here is over I will. TIA.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Hey Mike, what is the actual recommended depth measurement for replacing the rear tire? I bought a new rear tire waiting to be changed out, but not down to tread indicators yet, but pretty close. I was thinking of replacing it asap, but if I can wait til riding season here is over I will. TIA.
    .... I have Altimax tires on the front of my RT .... The re-place tire warning appeared a couple thousand miles ago .... I just went out and measured them .... the " WEAR " depth indicators are 1/32 nd. " Below " actual tread depth now ... I still have 4/32 nds of tread depth ....Your DRY road traction won't really be affected .... but I would slow down it Rains heavily ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

.... I have Altimax tires on the front of my RT .... The re-place tire warning appeared a couple thousand miles ago .... I just went out and measured them .... the " WEAR " depth indicators are 1/32 nd. " Below " actual tread depth now ... I still have 4/32 nds of tread depth ....Your DRY road traction won't really be affected .... but I would slow down it Rains heavily ..... Mike

Thanks, Mike! I went out and checked as well. I am sitting right at 4/32 nds tread depth.
    I'll keep 'em rolling for a few hundred more glorious miles! Thanks again.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Thanks, Mike! I went out and checked as well. I am sitting right at 4/32 nds tread depth.
    I'll keep 'em rolling for a few hundred more glorious miles! Thanks again.
    .......I'm thinking 2 to 3000 mi........... even 1/32 nd will take awhile to wear down .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28078 View Post
    Where are you getting yours installed? I’m in Huntersville and will be replacing my tire soon.
    I use Honda, Can-Am of Winston-Salem; that's where I bought it and the Spyder Tech, Steve Lewis, does a good job and, most important, at each tire replacement he checks the belt tension and alignment with a Gates meter. I don't know if Lake Norman Powersports will install car tires.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

.......I'm thinking 2 to 3000 mi........... even 1/32 nd will take awhile to wear down .... good luck ... Mike
    Perfect! I like those numbers better.
    A great way to finish out this season and start next season with all new shoes!

Now that I've got a couple thousand riding miles under my belt, I am planning a couple longer distance trips next year. Love my

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I am on my 2nd Altimax RT43 on the rear. Tire size 215/60R15. The mileage on the spyder was 24,553 when the 2nd Altimax RT 43 tire was installed.

I am happy with the General Altimax RT 43 tire.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28078 View Post
    if you have the availability to take off rear tire, i took it to discount tire for tire change. they did it for free, since it was their first experience with spyder. they can't balance it, most time rear tire doesn't need balance. but i have a static wheel balancer that i checked it. needed 2 stick on weights

you need a 36 mm socket and torgue wrench to goto 166 ft lbs. if you have auto rear level, have to disconnect ride hgt bar. take out rear shock bolt, raise up enough to walk off belt.

Spyder Garage

I use Honda, Can-Am of Winston-Salem; that's where I bought it and the Spyder Tech, Steve Lewis, does a good job and, most important, at each tire replacement he checks the belt tension and alignment with a Gates meter. I don't know if Lake Norman Powersports will install car tires.
    Thanks. I called LKNP and they are backed up 4 weeks. Want me to leave it with them.

Spyder Garage

over 22,000 on my altimax and measuring 6/32 yet ! all 2 up riding , but not really
    agressive. no"wear" near replacement time.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]