Spyder Garage

Exclamation Smoking after oil change & blown out exhaust! Help?!

Just recently had an oil change, and my yoshi slip on exhaust fell apart, the tip fell off on the way home. Well the next day while driving to work (only means of transportation) smoke blew out of the exhaust and kind of just rose out of the body (white smoke). So i parked it and purchased an new slip on exhaust. But my baby still bellows out smoke on the start up, and when i start at lights. I filled up the coolant cause it was down to minimum and it still smokes. Rode it to see the feel and its a little rougher than usual but the temp stays low.
    2009 Rss SM 50k miles

Spyder Garage

Have you checked the oil level properly after the oil change?? That is, ryde it for a while, at least 10+ minutes is good, then shut it down & within 2 mins of turning it off, check that the oil level is BETWEEN the Low & Full marks on the dip-stick! Anything OVER the Full mark on the dipstick means it's likely got too much oil in there, so whenever you run the engine it could be pumping/blowing oil into the air intake &/or the exhaust, or worse!

So, are you absobloominlutely SURE it wasn't over-filled with fresh oil during the oil change process?? If that's what's happened, then it juuust might've contributed to causing everything you describe as having occurred, even if it is a bit of a 'worst possible case' scenario & it's more likely that the coolant & exhaust components are just coincidental!!

Regardless, checking your oil level has gotta be your first step; & if that's OK, look for signs of oil spilled during the change; or filler caps &/or filter covers etc not being tightened up properly so that you are now burning off oil spills &/or leaking oil over the exhaust whenever the engine is running.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think peter has hit the nail on the head! If the bike was burning coolant you would smell it in most cases, and if you have ever smelled that smell you would not forget it! Check the oil, I'd bet it's about half a Qt hi!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you checked the oil level properly after the oil change?? That is, ryde it for a while, at least 10+ minutes is good, then shut it down & within 2 mins of turning it off, check that the oil level is BETWEEN the Low & Full marks on the dip-stick! Anything OVER the Full mark on the dipstick means it's likely got too much oil in there, so whenever you run the engine it could be pumping/blowing oil into the air intake &/or the exhaust, or worse!

So, are you absobloominlutely SURE it wasn't over-filled with fresh oil during the oil change process?? If that's what's happened, then it juuust might've contributed to causing everything you describe as having occurred, even if it is a bit of a 'worst possible case' scenario & it's more likely that the coolant & exhaust components are just coincidental!!

Regardless, checking your oil level has gotta be your first step; & if that's OK, look for signs of oil spilled during the change; or filler caps &/or filter covers etc not being tightened up properly so that you are now burning off oil spills &/or leaking oil over the exhaust whenever the engine is running.

Good Luck!
    I'd say a 110% chance this is correct. People think dealer techs are the best. In my experience, while this is many times true, you will tend to do a better job of maintenance than the so-called 'Experts'. I agree with Peter. They overfilled your Spyder. Maybe they just didn't know what they were doing. Maybe they were in a hurry.

Do you know, for sure, that they drained both oil reservoirs? Do you know, for sure, that they changed the oil filters? I'm sure they charged you. But I can tell you that I've had customers who found unchanged filters after paying for full service.

If you've got a good mechanic, and you're happy with them. That's great! Glad to hear it! They do exist. But in the words of Ronald Reagan, 'Trust, but Verify'. I recommend checking your oil level between 5 and 10 miles of leaving the dealership. Take a few minutes to verify oil level. I've had customers both overfilled and underfilled. It's worth the effort. Because both have the potential to create some serious issues.

On another note. I've been running my Yoshimura slip-on for about 30,000 miles. It's as good as new. I am surprised that yours failed. I've had 4 different exhausts (including OEM). And this Yoshimura pipe is, by far, the best one I've had.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-13-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hafta agree, with all reply's above, too much oil can cause, your problems, can cause the byke, to run rough, cause it's drowning in oil... check immediately, to prevent damage....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with immediately checking your oil ..... before I learned better I took my 08 GS in for warranty work ( nothing to do with oil ) .... however the DEALER Tech ? or someone got pissed off because I scratched an X in the paint of the DPS they were going to change .... someone added one quart of oil .... Why ? ... I'll let the reader decide .... ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with immediately checking your oil ..... before I learned better I took my 08 GS in for warranty work ( nothing to do with oil ) .... however the Tech ? or someone got pissed off because I scratched an X in the paint of the DPS they were going to change .... someone added one quart of oil .... Why ? ... I'll let the reader decide .... ............ Mike
    No! No! No! Mike! That would NEVER Happen! A tech get ticked off by a customer verifying their work? Don't believe it!

Though I have to be careful. I suppose that when I'm doing an install on a customer's ride. That makes me a 'Tech'. Well, no one is perfect!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    No! No! No! Mike! That would NEVER Happen! A tech get ticked off by a customer verifying their work? Don't believe it!

Though I have to be careful. I suppose that when I'm doing an install on a customer's ride. That makes me a 'Tech'. Well, no one is perfect!
    ....Correct, I will change my post to identify the TECH involved ...... Mike