Spyder Garage

Cool VSS Error w/Limp Home Mode

Good Day Spyder lovers. This is my first post.
    I have a 2021 Spyder RT Limited. Really love the bike and so does my wife. Didn't know if she would at first but now she is definitely in.
    I/we have 606 miles on the bike. Last week we received a VSS Error fault, followed by a LIMP HOME MODE. The Limp home mode never happened. However the VSS Error fault continued. Our problem is the closest dealer is 150 miles away. I called the dealer and requested a way to retrieve the error code in case it was an easy fix, (i.e. battery etc.). Of course they would not tell me anything over the phone. So I had no choice but to drag the bike to the dealer. I can understand that to a degree.
    We have been seeing the brake lights coming on and off on there own and or staying on. Figured that was driving the computer crazy. Long story short, after inspection by the technician, there is a sensor needed to be replaced. Another disappointment is they didn't have the needed sensor and I had to leave the bike.

Anyway my question is "Is there a way to retrieve the Error code"? and second, "Is there a published list to define the error codes"?

Still love the bike but a little dismayed.....

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can access the vehicle fault codes through your Settings menu. The little gear icon. Refer to page 35 in your operators guide. For a list of codes, as well as anything else you would want to know, I would recommend one of those downloadable / on CD service manuals. Not expensive at all. Google is your friend. Green Manuals is popular. And yes, getting a VSS fault and Limp Mode if the brake lights are sticking on is not a bug, it’s a feature. Never ride the brake, even though in some traffic conditions you might really be tempted to. If the system senses the brakes are applied, by using the brake light switch, it expects to see brake pressure. If it doesn’t, that’s what happens. It was an engineers idea of a safety feature to catch a brake system failure early. It’s been around since the beginning. Be safe out there.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Snowbelt Spyder is correct but I would like to add. The codes in the menu are active codes only. So if if you cycled the ignition or the code has cleared over time. It will not be displayed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with both above ..... and let me add if the code isn't dis-played / active etc. .... it is still stored in the computer Memory, and should be able to be accessed using BUDS .... if the Tech can't find - it's their fault .... nothing that goes into the computer dis-appears .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2021 did the same thing. I found out my brake switch was not adjusted correctly from the factory and my brake lights were staying on and caused a VSS error. I adjusted the switch and it has been fine since.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Guys, I just had this happen ABS, VSS fault, Limp Home Mode....I shut bike down and waited 5 minutes and restarted and all faults cleared....I drove around for about an hour and never got codes again, only thing I could not duplicate was being at the stop light for about 5 to 8 minutes with my foot on brake..I may or may not have had full pressure on pedal...also I installed the STS Smart Brake Module the other day and this was first long ride..unit is connected to white brake wire going into the Brake/Flasher module under the seat, this supplies STS module with brake signal.... any suggestions, ideas much appreciated....even just opinions....I have a 2021 Spyder F3 SE6 Standard with 560 miles...thanks in advance...