Spyder Garage

Default Looking for a Headlight modulator - any suggestions?

2015 RTL with LED headlights. Looking for a headlight modulator. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

CanAm Spyder 2016- Flashing Headlight Modulator P115W-T4-CanAm with Plug n Play, Programmable, No-cut, Kisan pathBlazer includes Daylight Sensor, Easy Install, Strobe for Headlight Modulation. Might work on your bike, check it out.

Spyder Garage

I rode with headlight modulators for decades and they are very useful. I called them my light horn. I did not like that I had no control of when they were on or off, so i snipped off the photocell and spliced in a switch. Now their use was optional and I could use it at night to get left lane bandits to moved over. It worked like magic. If you are going to tell me that's illegal, I know that. Do I care? No!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I rode with headlight modulators for decades and they are very useful. I called them my light horn. I did not like that I had no control of when they were on or off, so i snipped off the photocell and spliced in a switch. Now their use was optional and I could use it at night to get left lane bandits to moved over. It worked like magic. If you are going to tell me that's illegal, I know that. Do I care? No!
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And I wont tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand that the Kisan unit works with LEDs, but have not verified it. Would like to find out and install one on my Suzuki.

I have used modulators in the past on many bikes. Still have one on my Goldwing. If you have not ridden with one before, please learn how to use it COURTEOUSLY. It's not a "turn it on and forget it" device. Its main purpose is to attract attention to get you noticed, not to annoy other drivers. Yeah, some will get annoyed anyway, but the chance of that is reduced if you exercise a bit our courtesy.

Do not leave it on if you are following any one vehicle for an extended period of time. That "extended period" might be as short as half a minute, if conditions are right. This includes sitting behind someone at a traffic light. I turn mine off when approaching a 4-way stop sign. I don't want any cross-traffic to think I might be an emergency vehicle that might be asking for right-of-way through the intersection.

RICZ's observation that you have no control over it is wrong. You DO have control, it's called "the high-beam switch". When the photocell 'sees' enough light (daylight) and the beam selector is in the HIGH position, the modulator is ON. Go to LOW beam, it's OFF. Simple.

Not sure how the wiring would work, as the RT does not have a separate HIGH beam, just a raising of the shutter. It probably reads its signal from that, rather than power to a separate light.

And, as annoying as they might be to (some) other drivers, be assured that they ARE legal in all 50 states AND Canada, when they are installed properly. You will still get questioned about your "flashing" light. Sometimes by the general public, sometimes by the "men in blue". For that reason, I always carry a copy of the vehicle code that allows them. By the way, not only does it allow them under Federal law, it prohibits any state from prohibiting them.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    RICZ's observation that you have no control over it is wrong. You DO have control, it's called "the high-beam switch". When the photocell 'sees' enough light (daylight) and the beam selector is in the HIGH position, the modulator is ON. Go to LOW beam, it's OFF. Simple.
    I had one of Kisan's original designs that did not operate that way and I transferred it from one bike to the next.
    The one you describe, newer version, is much more "polite."
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have a '15 RTL and since I had used Kisan's Pathblazer before, as soon as I saw that there was one available for the Spyders with LED headlights, I ordered one. When it arrived, I did the tupperware removal and installed it. After buttoning everything back up, I started the Spyder and backed it out of the garage, hit the high beam switch and it went from high beam to low beam in milliseconds. I contacted Kisan and they agreed to send me a replacement and I did get my money back. Again, the second unit did not work either! Kisan thought that it was the fault of the onboard computer, but, I believe that the computer has nothing to do with the operation of the headlights. I will give it a few more months and probably try it again, but it ain't the easiest install! And, I'm left with a hole drilled in the tupperware that was used for the daylight sensor (luckily, my Spyder's black, so electrical tape covers it up nicely).
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    After buttoning everything back up, I started the Spyder and backed it out of the garage, hit the high beam switch and it went from high beam to low beam in milliseconds. I contacted Kisan and they agreed to send me a replacement and I did get my money back. Again, the second unit did not work either!
    Do you know if anyone has successfully used the Can Am P&P modulator and had it work correctly?

I have an idea of what they did wrong. I believe they run the shutter power through the modulator instead of, or in addition to, the light bulb power. When you cut power to the shutter it drops to low beam position. When I have time I may redo my modulator to work on high beam only. Right now it works on both high and low beam since there's only one power feed to the bulb. I installed it before Kisan had the P&P version so I made my own wiring harness for it.

Would you be willing to send me the modulator so I can figure out what Kisan did and maybe correct it? If so, PM me so I can send you my address.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Do you know if anyone has successfully used the Can Am P&P modulator and had it work correctly?

I have an idea of what they did wrong. I believe they run the shutter power through the modulator instead of, or in addition to, the light bulb power. When you cut power to the shutter it drops to low beam position. When I have time I may redo my modulator to work on high beam only. Right now it works on both high and low beam since there's only one power feed to the bulb. I installed it before Kisan had the P&P version so I made my own wiring harness for it.

Would you be willing to send me the modulator so I can figure out what Kisan did and maybe correct it? If so, PM me so I can send you my address.
    I returned both units and got a refund. The gentleman at Kisan said that there was a local dealer there that had installed one successfully in a '15 Spyder, but neither of mine worked.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Since the '20-'21 RTs use different LED arrangement without the shutters, I wonder if the Kisan unit would work on it? I had the Signal Dynamics modulator on my '06 GL1800 and it never failed. The only addition I would add us an indicator that it is engaged. SDs won't work on LEDs, I understand.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT, and the dealer where I bought the Spyder said that he was unaware of any modulator that would work with the LED's on this bike. If the Kisan unit actually works on the new Spyders, what model would I order and from where to then bring it to my dealer to install? Thanks.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Kisan LED modulator will work with any LED headlight, but I don't know what the harness configuration would be for the 2021. If you're handy with electrical wiring get the universal unit and the service manual for the 2021 and create your own harness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)