Spyder Garage

Post 990 spark plug removal - Do I really need to remove the air box?

I feel like a dufus asking this question: Do I really need to remove the air box (which I did) to get to the spark plugs? I like to periodically look at the plugs of my 2008 GS/E5 because it shows how the machine is performing. But the airbox is a real effort. There must be a better way. If there is, please share your tricks. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I think you will find out it will be easier to do it that way, the back plug is a bugga if you don't! Good luck!!

Some like you have repaced the air box with an aftermarket one, putting a filter that looks like a small version of a car filter in it's place!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2022 at 05:38 PM. Reason: easyer - easier + ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I examine my plugs once a year, in the 6 month winter. Always take off the airbox to get at the front one.
    It is a pain but not much else to do when you can't ride.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

the manual tells you how to do it without removing the air box.....you need long nose needle pliers to remove the cap then long ratchet extension with a universal joint to remove plug. Take a three inch piece of rubber hose to fit over the plug then you will be able to insert the new plug finger tight then use the ratchet to tighten.... works like a charm but you need patience and a good flashlight

Spyder Garage

I replaced the air box with one of JT's air filters which meant getting to the plugs was easy as (plus the induction roar sounded great:-))

DSC02832.jpg

I did also fit iridium plugs so I didn't have to change them so often though I still checked them every service.