Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RSS SE5 Parts availability in the future.

Hello...I have a 2012 RSS Spyder That I'm wondering how long I should hang on to it....I got to thinking about this when I called my local dealer to order Y pipe and mid pipe gaskets and he had to put me on hold to call for availability, When he came back on the phone and said they are still available I raised the question "When should I worry about parts for this to be hard to get"....He said....I would really think about getting rid of it in the next year and a half (10 year mark)....He stated these Spyders aren't like automobiles and you have AutoZone's and Oreille's on every corner......Is he correct?...Should I think about selling it?...I really need to invest in a new "slip-on" exhaust.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

That is the $64,000 question for many of us. I ride an average of 25,000 miles per year so if it looks like parts are going to be an issue I trade up. Some of he bikes I have had have been easy to get parts for such as Goldwings and my Beemer. Others such as my Triumph had been getting tougher to find parts for. I'm afraid this covid crap has knocked some of the aftermarket places out of business and no clue if they will be back or not. Will this make parts harder to find? Another thing to consider is that many dealerships these days refuse to work on a bike older than ten years. This can be upsetting for folks, but as a wrench turner I can see their point and can agree with the ten year rule. If you work on your own bike or have a good independent mechanic then the ten year thing doesn't matter. With a small market share vehicle like our Spyders I can see parts becoming an issue with the pre 1330 bikes.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

It's a crap shot, if I went on cheapcycleparts,com and looked up my bike and say parts unavailable, I would probably think about biting the bullet and OPEN my wallet!! There comes a time where you, run it till it drops and dump it, and there's a time where you trade up before you loose your butt on the trade in! If it's running good and not nickel and dimming you, it is a 2012! Only your wallet KNOWS!!! The new ones are inviting, I am with you on this one, mine is the same year and as long as I can keep her together, I'll put her in the junk yard and part her out, cut my loses!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm really looking at selling both my rides since the used bike market is also doing well. And pool my cash together for possibly a Ryker
    Thanks for input.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Hello...I have a 2012 RSS Spyder That I'm wondering how long I should hang on to it....I got to thinking about this when I called my local dealer to order Y pipe and mid pipe gaskets and he had to put me on hold to call for availability, When he came back on the phone and said they are still available I raised the question "When should I worry about parts for this to be hard to get"....He said....I would really think about getting rid of it in the next year and a half (10 year mark)....He stated these Spyders aren't like automobiles and you have AutoZone's and Oreille's on every corner......Is he correct?...Should I think about selling it?...I really need to invest in a new "slip-on" exhaust.
    Thanks.
    " MID PIPE GASKETS " ..... Most here switched to ones from HONDA .... they lad 3 X's longer ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    I'm really looking at selling both my rides since the used bike market is also doing well. And pool my cash together for possibly a Ryker
    Thanks for input.
    Good idea!!! Good luck, ride on!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Blueknight...Im going to stick with the OEM for now,(all on order).....When I bought Her, The owner had installed a 2Bro Vale system with the Juice box pro...I really need to replace the Slip-on exhaust at some point, But I am going to replace all 3 Exhaust Gaskets,...And probably go ahead and sell Her.