Spyder Garage

Default Bucket List Trip Report

Just return from a 6,600 mile tour from Indianapolis to the Badlands, Black Hills, and Sturgis. Then, on to the Big Horn mountains and Cody and Chief Joseph Highway as well as Bear Tooth pass. Then over to Missoula, Montana for Lolo Pass and up and back track through Glacier National Park. Then over to Oregon and down the coast to California and the Avenue of the Giants down to San Francisco then back through Lake Tahoe and Highway 50 (America's loneliest highway) and then took a cruise on the Bonneville Salt flats and then hauled butt home.

6,600 miles in 15 and a 1/2 days on a Ryker Rally. 425 miles a day ave. Longest day 560. Yes, you heard that right - a Ryker can do this type of touring. I had 2 friends along - one with a Harley Triglide and 1 on a Gold Wing. Each evening they were ready to quit but I was ready to go on. Always with a smile on my face!

Only one problem. In Western Nebraska - on interstate 80 doing doing 80 miles an hour, my 02 sensor blew out of the exhaust manifold. Threads on sensor were partially stripped. I was able to get some bite and put the sensor back in and that lasted for about 20 miles when it blew out again. At this point, I did what any true biker would do, I pulled out my bailing wire and wired it in place around the exhaust manifold. It held up fine the rest of the way home - over 1,000 miles. New o2 sensor being delivered tomorrow.

If you want to do this type of touring, he's what I recommend:

Comfort seat with Air Hawk (I also have an Alaskan Sheepskin on to of the Airhawk)

Floor boards

Saddle bags and Pillion bag (which doubles as backrest). I have the Cortech set.

Foam grip covers

Atlas Throttle Lock and wind shield are musts!

Handlebar Mount for phone which doubled as my GPS

Tools

Thats basically it!

Keep the Breese at your Knees
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the trip went well for you!

Spyder Garage

i am impressed. sounds like you have the ryker set up for the long haul. how did the ryker handle in wet weather?

Spyder Garage

Really had pretty good weather the whole time. We ran through a brief shower that was a little heavier and you do have to watch out for hydroplaning on these 3 wheelers. Just need to slow it down a bit and be on the watch for standing water.

Spyder Garage

Great to hear about your trip. That was a good one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am following your tracks right now RykerUSA except we’ll go a bit farther south from Glacier then down the mountains to Arizona. Only difference is we’re running a toyhauler from stop to stop and then running the Spyders for 2-3 days at each destination. We ( wife and I, dad and mom) with 2 Spyders in the garage. I’ll be changing my map below when we get home next month.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Caps & ^

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

First weekend in August the wife and I are heading to the mountains of TN for a wedding. I will be on my Road Glide, she will be on her Ryker. We have the floorboards, air hawk and a few other goodies. Most luggage will be on my Road Glide. 1300 miles round trip.

Can't wait!

I applaud you on your trip. So many people think a Ryker is just for buzzing around town, but as soon as I saw one I thought it would be a great touring machine!
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

One more thing I forgot to mention. Definitely need to wear earplugs.. 80 miles an hour
    and 6600 RPM's is tough on the ears.

Spyder Garage

Oh man, that sounds like a ride. I have a ton of questions, but I will limit it to a few. (new rally owner here)

Fuel mileage on average?

Any leaks/problems with storage?

You replied about having ear plugs, what kind of helmet were you wearing? Full face/modular/open?

After market lights on your bike?

Spyder Garage

Didn't monitor fuel efficiency other than to say I could generally get about 140 miles out of a tank without worrying. Autonomy function is quite good.

No problem with luggage. I put all clothes in plastic bags just in case.

Nolan full face helmet

I have cheap ebay driving lights on my A arms.