Spyder Garage

Question Sticky handle bar throttle grip

My handlebar throttle grip has foam sleeves over the grip. I noticed the other day on startup that the engine 'roared' to life - not that loud but louder than normal. I noticed that the throttle grip had not sprung back to its full 'off' position. Being fuel injected, I understand this issue could cause problems. Can the handlebar grip be removed and is there some kind of spring mechanism that can be adjusted?

Spyder Garage

Year and model of your Spyder would help, but if it's 2014 or later (I'm not knowledgeable on pre-'14 vehicles), no, the throttle spring mechanism cannot be adjusted. You say your throttle grip has a foam sleeve over it. Are you certain it is not the foam sleeve itself that is rubbing against the right hand switch assembly? If it is, just work it backward toward the end of the throttle grip, or in worst case, cut it off and replace with a new one.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As JayBro said; your foam grip is rubbing either on front or rear. Trim off excess.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Also mine has a chrome end cap that if you turn one way will tighten the throttle friction and the other way loosens it. If you have an end cap, turn it to the left and see if that helps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: chrome and cap = end cap ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default Sticky handle bar throttle grip solved

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Also mine has a chrome end cap that if you turn one way will tighten the throttle friction and the other way loosens it. If you have an end cap, turn it to the left and see if that helps.
    I screwed off the end cap and noticed that the inner flange was not perfectly circular in shape. Upon closer inspection, it looked like one of the previous owners had this same problem and had attempted to file the flange to reduce the diameter. I tried turning the cap one way or another but the problem persisted so I just filed the flange a bit more to make it as close to circular as possible - problem solved. I will try it out on the road to make sure I haven't created another issue but it looks promising; throttle grips snaps back to normal. Might look into the chrome end caps for 'bling' purposes.