Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing OEM windshield lift arm with aftermarket billet one from 'noboot'

The OEM pot metal windshield lift arm is prone to failure. I've known for some time now that a stronger version, machined from a solid block of aluminum ("billet") has been made and sold worldwide by a SpyderLover in Australia who goes by "noboot" on this forum. So, I ordered one (AUS$160 including shipping) and it arrived within 4 days.

Ron (noboot) provides great instructions with his beautiful billet arm, along with a set of aluminum wedges needed to remove the plastic worm gear from the motor driven shaft. The mechanism, which is located underneath the dashboard cover panel, has to be removed from the bike in order to replace the OEM arm with the new billet one. To get at it requires removing the mirrors, front side body panels, headlight shroud, the windshield and the bracket to which the windshield attaches.

This project is a bit more involved than some others I've documented and requires an assortment of tools the casual D-I-Yer may not have on hand so it's a good idea to read and understand the instructions thoroughly to reduce the number of possible trips to the local hardware store for tools or little parts you've lost down inside the bike (I recommend draping a large cloth over the exposed work area to mitigate this possibility).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Removing the shaft from the bike

Before removing the shaft mechanism, clearly mark the alignment of the shaft, arm and hold down caps. Once the shaft is removed, observe how the magnet on the right end is oriented. Put a mark on it near the edge in line with the other alignment Mark's, so that you are sure the shaft and arm are oriented correctly because the marks on the shaft itself may rub off while working on it!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing the lift arm on the shaft

To remove the OEM lift arm requires first removing the plastic worm gear from the shaft. For this, Ron provides 5 aluminum wedges (shims); use these as instructed and the worm gear will work its way off the shaft without damage (first remove the tiny, redundant Phillips head screw on the end of the shaft).

You will need a small drift pin punch to remove the two drift pins from the arm and then slide off the old arm and slide on the new, making absolutely sure the shaft and arm are in proper alignment as indicated by the magnet!

Tap the worm gear back on and replace the mechanism on the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So did yours break ??? or is this just preventive maintenance ???? .... I did my 14 RT shortly after I bought it in 14 .... " Noboot " didn't exist back then so I cut and shaped a couple of pieces of 22 gauge sheet stock I had and then wrapped the entire Arm with a length of 22 Ga. strip .... I welded it all together and still have it on my RT ..... thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reassembling the dashboard cover and windshield

This is just a reverse of the first steps, really. The only real challenge (orginally encountered when first removing the windshield bracket) is dealing with the three brass barrel nuts that hold the bracket to the three arms. Before doing this remove the black plastic pieces from the old lift arm and install them on the billet arm.

Some model years (like mine) have a retaining screw at each end of each barrel nut. It is only necessary to remove one screw from each arm. Then use an appropriate size punch to drive out the barrel nut from the other end. Reinstalling is just the reverse, the challenge being to hold the windshield bracket in alignment with the arms. I put a punch in the upper arms while working on the lower (lift) arm.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So did yours break ??? or is this just preventive maintenance ???? .... I did my 14 RT shortly after I bought it in 14 .... " Noboot " didn't exist back then so I cut and shaped a couple of pieces of 22 gauge sheet stock I had and then wrapped the entire Arm with a length of 22 Ga. strip .... I welded it all together and still have it on my RT ..... thanks .... Mike
    Just preventive. Jane's bike has the huge F4 windshield and she likes it all the way up, so I figured hers was most vulnerable to failure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another good addition to the DIY folder. Thanks Pete.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Great write up. Thanks Pete