Spyder Garage

Default Rear belt tension - Any way to check without special tool?

Any way to check without special tool.

Spyder Garage

With the kriket Baja Ron sales or napa

Spyder Garage

Gates Carbon Drive app on a smart phone. There is a thread here somewhere that explains it.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

In a nut shell, not really, unless you have real good calibrated fingers!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What is the Kriket spec for the Spyder??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    What is the Kriket spec for the Spyder??
    I do not believe there is one calibrated to the belt/installation on the spyder.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "kriket" works great and it cost about $12. You can also do the finger thing. Halfway between the sprockets, twist your belt 180 degrees. The amount of pressure it takes to achieve that twist will give you an idea of the belt's tension. Yep, it takes know-how and experience to achieve that skill. Opinions vary from 160 lbs to 200 lbs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    The "kriket" works great and it cost about $12. You can also do the finger thing. Halfway between the sprockets, twist your belt 180 degrees. The amount of pressure it takes to achieve that twist will give you an idea of the belt's tension. Yep, it takes know-how and experience to achieve that skill. Opinions vary from 160 lbs to 200 lbs.
    The old Harley riders trick is if you can turn it more than 90° using your fingers (not grasped in the hand), it's too loose. If you can only turn in less than 90°, it's too tight. After tensioning my belt I've checked it this way and it's pretty close. Closer than an improperly used Krikit IMHO.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    The old Harley riders trick is if you can turn it more than 90° using your fingers (not grasped in the hand), it's too loose. If you can only turn in less than 90°, it's too tight. After tensioning my belt I've checked it this way and it's pretty close. Closer than an improperly used Krikit IMHO.
    Right on, 180 degrees would be too much. 90 degrees is correct.

Spyder Garage

I just checked belt tension, using the Krikit gauge and it measured ~150 lbs. Just for fun, I measured the Harley and it too showed ~150 lbs. Interesting they both measured the same belt tension. The Harley was set up using a different tool and slightly different methodology. Much prefer the audible click of the Krikit over the Harley way of deflecting the belt 5/16-3/8 using 10 lbs of pressure.

Kriket.jpg

Spyder Garage

I adjusted my belt using a Krikit II to 160 rear wheel on the floor, 140 off the floor. I get a wee bit of belt vibration at 70ish, but I can easily ride around that using the throttle.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My Harley is 5/16-3/8 deflect for 10lbs with the Harley or Yamaha tool.
    I don't get how this Krikit do-da works, but it must somehow, seems like the price is more like $25.
    Harley guys, (like me), estimate/calibrate index finger to be ~10lbs. So could somone go push on the belt with their index finger nearest the center of span without arm mussels and measure deflection on a rule. I bet it is about 3/8 if spider is like an HD.

Actually its kinda like the twist test, but I hadn't herd of that, I'll give it a try also.
    Regardless I'd rather have the belt a bit loose than too tight.
    Just thought there might be a guy here that has done this a few hundred ot thousand times and new a prety good approximation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first scoot was powered by a 3 HP Briggs & Stratton with a chain drive. From there on up to today's belt drives we all had to know how/why to adjust chain/belt slack. Checking chain slack was a weekly thing, and then along came idlers. Those idlers made chain slack adjustments a little less critical. Then came the drive belts which were a bit more critical regarding their adjustments. Again closely followed by today's belt idler/tensioners which reduced critical belt slack. From sloppy chains to today's tight belt requirements many of us learned the finger test method. My crystal ball tells me that our great, great grandkids will not know anything about chain slack or drive belt adjustments. Why? Because they'll all be playing around with jet packs driving FAA crazy.

Spyder Garage

Or maybe a drive shaft!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Electric don't need no drive shaft. But by great great grandkid time electric will be the past.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Here is a great video. It features the Krikit. But it's got some good, general information on other tension measuring methods as well. This is a Dayco video. This is a re-branded Gages gauge. Same thing, different name. I've been using the Krikit for years. It's a good way to measure belt tension.

They make the process sound much more difficult than it actually is in practice. It's small, cheap, portable and reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFP...=DaycoOfficial
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Electric don't need no drive shaft. But by great great grandkid time electric will be the past.
    You rear want the electric drive motor as part on the unsprung weight on the rear wheel, or are you wanting three really small electric motors?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    You rear want the electric drive motor as part on the unsprung weight on the rear wheel, or are you wanting three really small electric motors?
    Motor per wheel. If they keep going the motor may weigh less than the pulley, belt, etc. on there now. Brakes could be smaller cause the motors could share part of that load. Glad I most likely will never see it!
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Motor per wheel. If they keep going the motor may weigh less than the pulley, belt, etc. on there now. Brakes could be smaller cause the motors could share part of that load. Glad I most likely will never see it!
    But just think of the torque & performance you could get from 3 electric motors!!

Riders would need to wear jackets with reinforced sleeves & hooks on the ends to help them hold onto the handlebars so they didn't rip their bleedin arms off whenever they did a WOT take-off!! But they would need to have a better range than the current crop of vehicular electric batteries can provide!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!