Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT Limited BajaRon Sway Bar - DEFINITELY WORTH IT

I own a 2021 RT Limited with approximately 1,700 miles on it, purchased two months ago. I've read a lot about whether it is worth it or not to install a BajaRon Sway Bar on a 2021. I've read posts that say the 2021's don't need it. Well, I had mine installed today and the improvement to the ride is "incredible." The bike certainly feels more stable and going around corners is like night and day compared to the ride with the stock sway bar. For those who are on the fence, in my opinion you should definitely go for it. Thanks to the guys at Atlantic City Cycle Center in Hammonton, NJ for getting me in and out today before the feels like temperature hit triple digits.

Spyder Garage

Now, Put the Elka shocks on and get ready!

Spyder Garage

I took my Ron bar off of my 2015 and installed it on my 2020 RTL after 1500 miles and it was a noticed improvement. At 12,000 miles I added Ron's front shock adjusters. That tightened up the handling even more so.
    I also recommend his sway bar for those who want to have more stability in turns as well as on the highway.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I took my Ron bar off of my 2015 and installed it on my 2020 RTL after 1500 miles and it was a noticed improvement. At 12,000 miles I added Ron's front shock adjusters. That tightened up the handling even more so.
    I also recommend his sway bar for those who want to have more stability in turns as well as on the highway.
    Tell me, was installing the bar on your 2020 easier than the 2015? I installed one on my 2015 RT-S and am considering installing one on my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky. I'd love it if the 2021 is easier. One can always hope.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I must be the only one that thinks my 21 RTL with stock bar handles better and is more stable than my 19 RTL was with the BajaRon bar.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2015 RTL and now own a 2021 RTL, much different and rides 10x's better IMO....seems to me that Can Am fixed the major issues

Spyder Garage

The install is way easier than the 2010-19 RTs .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

This has come up a few times here recently. I have a 2021 RTL that I replaced the sway bar on right at 1000 miles. I can tell a difference, but it wasn't what I call a significant difference. I do notice that it comes out of a turn much quicker and anything that felt like understeer before is mostly gone now except for super aggressive riding. It is hard to explain in words really. The bike just straightens up way quicker on a really sharp corner. I have not ridden with my wife on to see if it is even more pronounced with the added weight.

One thing that I have not seen on here is a comparison of the size of the 2020-2021 RT bar compared to BajaRon's. I just went out and measured the thickness of the stock bar and the replacement. I am measuring on the short arm that is parallel to the bike frame just before the end links because that was the easiest place to get the Caliper on with it mounted on the bike.

Disclaimer....I don't have a "professional" Caliper. It's something made by General Tools that I bought at Lowe's but the readings should be fairly close.

2020-2021 Stock = 15.95mm or .6275 inches or roughly 5/8"

BajaRon's = 17.60mm or .6930 inches or roughly 11/16"

So the BajaRon replacement does have a little more diameter to it over stock. This obviously does not take into account the potential differences in the metal used to make the two sway bars and the impact that would have on performance. This is strictly looking at it from a "how thick is the bar" standpoint.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

I recently changed the bar ends to the BajaRon's but not the bar itself. Definitely handles much better. I heard however that Ron doesn't recommend changing the bar if you're purchasing the Elka shocks. I guess it's not necessary? Changing my shocks next season.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    I must be the only one that thinks my 21 RTL with stock bar handles better and is more stable than my 19 RTL was with the BajaRon bar.
    I cant compare it with any older one's as this is my 1st but I can say that "for me" it's just fine as it is. I might however change out the plastic ends one day just for the heck of it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nah! Almost everyone who's ridden both says the 2021's handle better & are more stable than the earlier models; it just that as a result some don't feel the need for the a/mkt upgrade. That said, almost everyone who HAS done the a/mkt upgrade on a 20/21 has appreciated the improvement, albeit some more than others!

Btw DanDanTMM, it appears there is NO CHANGE in the OEM anti-sway bar between the earlier versions and the 20/21 Spyders, the later models just have a little lower CoG and some other 'suspension tweaks' that mean they feel more planted & stable when ryding; so BajaRon's bar is still a larger dia/better spring than the OEM ant-sway bars across the board, and his rigid end links are quids ahead of the OEM placcy links that notoriously flex & eventually fail!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Btw DanDanTMM, it appears there is NO CHANGE in the OEM anti-sway bar between the earlier versions and the 20/21 Spyders, the later models just have a little lower CoG and some other 'suspension tweaks' that mean they feel more planted & stable when ryding; so BajaRon's bar is still a larger dia/better spring than the OEM ant-sway bars across the board, and his rigid end links are quids ahead of the OEM placcy links that notoriously flex & eventually fail!
    This (lower center of gravity) is probably the best explanation as to why the the 20/21 just rides better with the OEM anti-sway bar. I don't think we'll be going with a BajaRon bar on our 2021 but the improved stock ride on the 2021 has convinced me I need a BajaRon bar on my 2017.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    This (lower center of gravity) is probably the best explanation as to why the the 20/21 just rides better with the OEM anti-sway bar. I don't think we'll be going with a BajaRon bar on our 2021 but the improved stock ride on the 2021 has convinced me I need a BajaRon bar on my 2017.
    It will make a difference, and if you swap out the shocks it will be the rest of the cake!!! Ask me how I know
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mikey. I have changed the sway bar and recently installed Elkas. I DO notice a big improvement but i do like to "play"!

Spyder Garage

Dropped my ride off today to get the new front sprocket put on, as well as a belt tensioner. Asked the guy about the Elka shocks and told him I put the BajaRon bar links on already. He said to do the bar as well. He said it would make a world of difference and probably wouldn't need to spend the money on shocks. So I guess I'm going to put the bar on now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Dropped my ride off today to get the new front sprocket put on, as well as a belt tensioner. Asked the guy about the Elka shocks and told him I put the BajaRon bar links on already. He said to do the bar as well. He said it would make a world of difference and probably wouldn't need to spend the money on shocks. So I guess I'm going to put the bar on now.
    To each his own, I just know what my butt told me!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

i must not be as subjective on a ride as others. my 2020 RT limited goes down the road straight as can be and take curves like it is part of the road. 13k miles in a year and mostly cross country rides. content with OEM equipment. after 60 years in the saddle on 18 different bikes, 2 trips to Alaska, Dawson City, across Newfoundland, all Canadian Provinces- that has roads , 49 of the 50 states- waiting on Hawaii, just enjoying the ride.

Spyder Garage

I recently changed the bar ends to the BajaRon's but not the bar itself. Definitely handles much better. I heard however that Ron doesn't recommend changing the bar if you're purchasing the Elka shocks. I guess it's not necessary? Changing my shocks next season.
    Not sure where you heard this. But it isn't true. What I recommend is not getting shocks set up to compensate for the weak sway bar, which will make your ride unnecessarily stiff and harsh.

The sway bar does things that shocks cannot do. And the shocks do things that the sway bar cannot do. They overlap and (ideally) work together. But if you try to compensate for a weak sway bar with overly stiff shocks. You can get much better handling. But the ride will be harsh. Think about it this way. If you want to remove all lean, replace your shocks with steel bars. Then you can take the sway bar out and throw it away because it will do nothing at all. But the ride will be incredibly bad.

What you want is the right sway bar, and the right shock setup. That way you get the best of all worlds. Great handling and great ride. Installing just the end links will give you just a portion of the improvement that the full bar kit provides.

The install on the 2020 and 2021 is easier than any other RT year model.

Everyone has a different perspective on the BajaRon Sway Bar. Someone in Florida will have a different experience than someone who rides the Blue Ridge Parkway. A light person riding 1-up with little to no storage will have a different experience than someone riding 2-up, pulling a trailer, etc. But all will find a more stable, better handling Spyder or Ryker.

Have a Great Riding Season! And hope we don't get locked down again.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not sure where you heard this. But it isn't true. What I recommend is not getting shocks set up to compensate for the weak sway bar, which will make your ride unnecessarily stiff and harsh.

The sway bar does things that shocks cannot do. And the shocks do things that the sway bar cannot do. They overlap and (ideally) work together. But if you try to compensate for a weak sway bar with overly stiff shocks. You can get much better handling. But the ride will be harsh. Think about it this way. If you want to remove all lean, replace your shocks with steel bars. Then you can take the sway bar out and throw it away because it will do nothing at all. But the ride will be incredibly bad.

What you want is the right sway bar, and the right shock setup. That way you get the best of all worlds. Great handling and great ride. Installing just the end links will give you just a portion of the improvement that the full bar kit provides.

The install on the 2020 and 2021 is easier than any other RT year model.

Everyone has a different perspective on the BajaRon Sway Bar. Someone in Florida will have a different experience than someone who rides the Blue Ridge Parkway. A light person riding 1-up with little to no storage will have a different experience than someone riding 2-up, pulling a trailer, etc. But all will find a more stable, better handling Spyder or Ryker.

Have a Great Riding Season! And hope we don't get locked down again.
    It's what I heard in passing Ron. I read it somewhere is all. Thanks for correcting the error.

I have a question though. Now that I already have your links, I don't need the whole kit. Do you sell the parts separately?

Spyder Garage

It's what I heard in passing Ron. I read it somewhere is all. Thanks for correcting the error.

I have a question though. Now that I already have your links, I don't need the whole kit. Do you sell the parts separately?
    Rumors are born easy, and die hard, if at all. I'm not blaming you. People hear things. I understand.

If you already have the BajaRon end links, you do not have to buy the entire kit. My purpose is not to sell as much product as I can. Just to have my product be as safe and productive as possible. Give me a call tomorrow and we'll get you fixed up. 423-552-3720. This is a personal and biased opinion. But I think you are going the right direction with wise steps. You have a much better chance of not only knowing more about what these suspension components do. But also being happy with the results.

Whether or not to get the BajaRon bar, Elka's, etc., is the owners decision. The only thing I attempt to do is put out as much good information as I can so they have an informed decision.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-12-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Again, thanks Ron. My dealer recommended adding the bar as well. But hey, it's ok to be biased when so many riders swear by your products.

Spyder Garage

You aren’t alone, WDAVEY. I reckon my ‘21 RT handles better stock than my ‘16 F3-T with stabiliser bar and tyres. That does not mean I am advocating not buying Ron’s bar for a ‘21. I am certainly looking at it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete, only your butt can tell you what you need!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    This has come up a few times here recently. I have a 2021 RTL that I replaced the sway bar on right at 1000 miles. I can tell a difference, but it wasn't what I call a significant difference. I do notice that it comes out of a turn much quicker and anything that felt like understeer before is mostly gone now except for super aggressive riding. It is hard to explain in words really. The bike just straightens up way quicker on a really sharp corner. I have not ridden with my wife on to see if it is even more pronounced with the added weight.

One thing that I have not seen on here is a comparison of the size of the 2020-2021 RT bar compared to BajaRon's. I just went out and measured the thickness of the stock bar and the replacement. I am measuring on the short arm that is parallel to the bike frame just before the end links because that was the easiest place to get the Caliper on with it mounted on the bike.

Disclaimer....I don't have a "professional" Caliper. It's something made by General Tools that I bought at Lowe's but the readings should be fairly close.

2020-2021 Stock = 15.95mm or .6275 inches or roughly 5/8"

BajaRon's = 17.60mm or .6930 inches or roughly 11/16"

So the BajaRon replacement does have a little more diameter to it over stock. This obviously does not take into account the potential differences in the metal used to make the two sway bars and the impact that would have on performance. This is strictly looking at it from a "how thick is the bar" standpoint.
    This is an update to my original post. Over the weekend I rode a local road that is pretty twisty that I had not ridden since adding the BajaRon Sway Bar. After riding that section of road pretty aggressively I have to change my original observation and say that it does made a significant difference with that type of riding. There was no way I could have ridden that section with the stock sway bar as fast and aggressive as I did with the BajaRon bar. I also rode the most uneven road I know of. It is a section of road that gets flooded pretty often and the road bed has sunk and there are sections where the right side of the lane has sunk an inch or more that can wreak havoc for a MC rider. I rode through that section of road without any issue and the RTL felt solid despite the constant changing road surface.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    There was no way I could have ridden that section as fast and aggressive as I did with the BajaRon bar.
    DanDan, did you mean to write “WITHOUT the BajaRon bar” in the sentence above?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red