Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas on why it's Stalling?? Comments?

I took my 2014 STS out today for the first time after about 12 days since arriving home from Florida on a family issue. The bike had run ok in FL, except that it did stall out once at idle, but restarted right away.

Today, it started up and I got everything ready to go and took off. Got two blocks away and the engine started running rough, then cut out completely. I also noted it was still 2nd gear. Check engine light flashed momentarily off and on. Tried restarting it several times only to have it cut out again. Finally got it running long enough to make it one more block home, then it died again. Couldn't get it to start again.

Had to push it the last block home with help of a neighbor.

Tried several more times and got it running only long enough to back halfway up the driveway. Seems it would start and go in gear, but as soon as I tried to move, it would die. Check engine light would appear off and on again.

Left it in the garage for a few hours and did a restart and it ran for about 4-5 minutes, then started running rough again, then cut out.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow with much anguish as they had my bike in April-May for oil leak issue for about 5-6 weeks, so I know I am in for another waiting period. They are not very efficient.

Any ideas or comments on what may have occurred?
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    I took my 2014 STS out today for the first time after about 12 days since arriving home from Florida on a family issue. The bike had run ok in FL, except that it did stall out once at idle, but restarted right away.

Today, it started up and I got everything ready to go and took off. Got two blocks away and the engine started running rough, then cut out completely. I also noted it was still 2nd gear. Check engine light flashed momentarily off and on. Tried restarting it several times only to have it cut out again. Finally got it running long enough to make it one more block home, then it died again. Couldn't get it to start again.

Had to push it the last block home with help of a neighbor.

Tried several more times and got it running only long enough to back halfway up the driveway. Seems it would start and go in gear, but as soon as I tried to move, it would die. Check engine light would appear off and on again.

Left it in the garage for a few hours and did a restart and it ran for about 4-5 minutes, then started running rough again, then cut out.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow with much anguish as they had my bike in April-May for oil leak issue for about 5-6 weeks, so I know I am in for another waiting period. They are not very efficient.

Any ideas or comments on what may have occurred?
    Check for codes.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

P0335

Is there a list somewhere I can check?
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

P0335

Is there a list somewhere I can check?
    You can always type 'OBD Code P0335' into Google or duckduckgo!

SpyderCodes (which is no longer available ) suggests that's a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) error code - the CPS is either incorrectly inserted, incorrectly connected, or it's damaged. Check the relevant connections for dirt, bent pins, or unsecure connections. You might be able to measure the resistance from the connector as follows:

ECM A-H1 to CPS-PIN 1 expected value < 2 ohms
    ECM A-K2 to CPS-PIN 2 expected value < 2 ohms

Failing any of that, it's probably replacement time... but I don't think that's a major task.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you , Sir. Just found it referenced on another thread. I'll give it a check tomorrow.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you , Sir. Just found it referenced on another thread. I'll give it a check tomorrow.
    Just a random thought ..... are your Battery connections tight - did you ever add STAR washers ??? .... good luck .... sometimes it's the little things .... Mike

Spyder Garage

FYI Had similar but different codes, stalling was from topping off the tank (overfilled & left no room to slosh ) resolved with purge valve replacement & no more over filling Did however possibly lead to starter burning out shortly there after. Another possibility for stalls - Stock vacuum hoses get micro cracks, upgrade to silicon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-06-2021 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Removed extra Cr. ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    FYI Had similar but different codes, stalling was from topping off the tank (overfilled & left no room to slosh ) resolved with purge valve replacement & no more over filling Did however possibly lead to starter burning out shortly there after. Another possibility for stalls - Stock vacuum hoses get micro cracks, upgrade to silicon.
    Wellllllllll, I have filled every ( 3 ) Spyder I have owned to the MAX Everytime I got gas .... never had a Stalling issue .... on the Vacuum Hoses a switch to silicone may solve this .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Another thought...bad gas?? Seafoam or similar may help.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, Sir, did that.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

I was wondering about the gas issue myself. It had been filled up in Florida during my last ride, which was slightly over two weeks ago. Only rode 37 miles on that tank before I packed it up for the trip home. I usually Seafoam every 3-4 tank in practice.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Frustrated. Apparently I am too simple to understand the resistance testing procedure. Pulled the CPS unit and only found some dirty oil on the bottom sensor. Have the Green Service Manual and the testing procedure isn't registering with my mind.

Also, called two dealerships and both are busy until mid or late August, so they can't even look at it to confirm a bad CPS until then. If they could at least verify that, I would just go buy another one and install it myself.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

OK, I put everything back together and ran the bike for one ten and another 15 minute period without issue. Yesterday, it would only run 5 minutes at max, then stall. I also attempted to pull up any codes on the gauge cluster and found none this time. I am wondering it that little bit of dirty oil on the CPS had anything to do with it or not.

Kinda apprehensive about taking it out until someone can BUDS the thing, but not waiting that long to find out for certain.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Frustrated. Apparently I am too simple to understand the resistance testing procedure. Pulled the CPS unit and only found some dirty oil on the bottom sensor. Have the Green Service Manual and the testing procedure isn't registering with my mind.

Also, called two dealerships and both are busy until mid or late August, so they can't even look at it to confirm a bad CPS until then. If they could at least verify that, I would just go buy another one and install it myself.
    Well, you unplug the sensor’s harness plug, set your multimeter to read resistance, and take the resistance reading of the sensor across the two pins in its plug. The resistance should be in the range shown on the page. Refer to the page about the sensor in the electronic fuel injection section, not the code table page. Was it in spec? There’s no other BUDS operations or diagnostic that can be done. There’s no reset or anything like that.

You may have done two things to help your cause. You cleaned off the pickup area of the sensor and you unplugged and plugged in the harness connector cleaning off any corrosion. The choice is yours. Ride it as is or order a new one and replace it yourself. No initialization with BUDS is required. But if you want peace of mind, or if the resistance reading was way off, assuming the manual is correct, it probably should be replaced.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Replace the crank sensor. It may check good or may check bad. It could even be failing as it gets hot. Change it and rule it out.

While working on it, if not done yet, replace the two vacuum hoses with silicone vacuum hose.

Spyder Garage

Think I will take that advice.

I emailed BRP with the issue and basically got told that they have no control over the dealer's service schedules and call other dealers, which I did. No appointments available anywhere til mid or late August. Haha......

I ended up letting it idle again for another 25 minute session and had no issues after that. Then I "boldly" went out for a two hour ride very very locally so the walk home would not be that far away (or the AAA wait).

Gonna order the new sensor to be safe.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Yes, those hoses are next.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Another thought...bad gas?? Seafoam or similar may help.
    Yes, dumped some in today.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Replace the crank sensor. It may check good or may check bad. It could even be failing as it gets hot. Change it and rule it out.

While working on it, if not done yet, replace the two vacuum hoses with silicone vacuum hose.
    Looking at the Green service manual and Cheap Cycle parts website, I am not sure I am seeing the vacuum hose parts or locations. Any clues on what and where I am looking?
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Just go down to NAPA auto parts store and get some 3mm silicone hose. You'll need about 8 inches. The hoses are on the left side just above the oil filter. There are 2 of them one very visible the other not so much but they are there together. Pull one off and measure it against your new hose and cut it exact. Then do the other. Just pretend you are doing and oil change take the same covers off and you will find them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Just go down to NAPA auto parts store and get some 3mm silicone hose. You'll need about 8 inches. The hoses are on the left side just above the oil filter. There are 2 of them one very visible the other not so much but they are there together. Pull one off and measure it against your new hose and cut it exact. Then do the other. Just pretend you are doing and oil change take the same covers off and you will find them.
    Thank you kindly.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I believe Napa even has hi-vis or neon colors for replacement
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Somewhat up under the airbox. And if you want to prevent even more potential problems in the future, do a canisterectomy on it. Do a forum search for info. Be safe out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Couple points here,first this is the 1300 motor so I dont think vac hoses or canisterectomy even apply.Second crank sensors are notorious for being sensitive to heat,they tend to fail when they get hot so its common to start and then fail after engine warm up.They usually will set a code but sometimes they dont.The ohms testing procedure one guy noted will only test to see if the wires from the ECM down to the sensor are ok,it wont test the sensor.IMHO there is no reliable way to test the sensor,yours is probably bad and just replace it.One other thing is when I see oil coming out of a sensor it means that the sensor has micro cracks that allowed oil to enter and that can cause failure.My opinions are based on 25 years of owning a shop that did a lot of computer related type work on cars and trucks which use the same systems as your Spyder.Funny thing was when I replaced the cam sensor on my 17rt I noticed it looked like the same sensor that I had installed so many of in many cars which shall remain nameless.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Couple points here,first this is the 1300 motor so I dont think vac hoses or canisterectomy even apply.Second crank sensors are notorious for being sensitive to heat,they tend to fail when they get hot so its common to start and then fail after engine warm up.They usually will set a code but sometimes they dont.The ohms testing procedure one guy noted will only test to see if the wires from the ECM down to the sensor are ok,it wont test the sensor.IMHO there is no reliable way to test the sensor,yours is probably bad and just replace it.One other thing is when I see oil coming out of a sensor it means that the sensor has micro cracks that allowed oil to enter and that can cause failure.My opinions are based on 25 years of owning a shop that did a lot of computer related type work on cars and trucks which use the same systems as your Spyder.Funny thing was when I replaced the cam sensor on my 17rt I noticed it looked like the same sensor that I had installed so many of in many cars which shall remain nameless.
    Just a minor point with your post above spyder01 - All the 2014 STS's like the one the OP is having stalling issues with came out with the 998cc V-Twin motor - in fact, ALL ST's came out with the V-twin motor, it was only ever the RT's that were 'upgraded' to the 1330 motor in 2014 after BRP missed the 2013 release; and the F3's never had anything but the 1330 motor! So the vac hoses & canisterectomy issues are VERY applicable in this particular instance.

But I'd say you're right on the mark with all the rest...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!