Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL Seat strut barely holds the seat open - ideas?

Has anyone replaced the gas strut on their '20 or '21 RTL? Mine barely holds the seat open with nothing on it. I have a Butt Buffer and have to take it off everytime I fuel.
    The original strut was shot when I got home with the Spyder brand new. How the dealership missed this is beyond me, as the tank was full. I didn't write down the info on the replacement strut or take measurements, but if no one has info on a stronger strut I'll start removing Tupperware.

Spyder Garage

I would look for a automotive strut. One that holds up a hood or rear door. Should be strong enough. Found at a good auto parts store.

Spyder Garage

if you can take off one end or the other, should be a sticker on it with part #, to look up and match it
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman47 View Post
    Has anyone replaced the gas strut on their '20 or '21 RTL? Mine barely holds the seat open with nothing on it. I have a Butt Buffer and have to take it off everytime I fuel.
    The original strut was shot when I got home with the Spyder brand new. How the dealership missed this is beyond me, as the tank was full. I didn't write down the info on the replacement strut or take measurements, but if no one has info on a stronger strut I'll start removing Tupperware.
    I re-placed my seat strut ( for a different reason ) with a stiff rod .... works everytime, and will never fail .... I didn't have to drill the frame , there was / are two pushpins that can be re-moved and replaced with 5 (?) inch 1/4 dis. bolt .... then add the rod ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree that the stock strut on the 20-21 are not strong enough. I installed one of Dave's gel pads on mine and I now have the same problem. I have not looked into replacing it yet but I do see that happening in the near future.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Just be careful to not get one that is too strong. Might damage the plastic seat structure.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Some people on here turn me onto McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/lift-struts/ All you need is the dimensions of the old one. Made a big difference for my bike, fast turn around also. Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I too am using a gel pad in the seat and of course the stock strut didn't support the extra weight. Too bad I didn't know that at the time I put it back together or I would have gone ahead and replaced the strut at the same time since I had it all apart.

I am planning to replace the strut at some piont but haven't had time to get into that yet so I have been using a piece of firm rubber that I wedge in between the left hand seat hinge and the frame crossmember. Works fine for fueling, etc.. The rubber piece that I have been using is big enough that I can store it right there under the seat.

If anyone does replace their strut, please share the new strut part number, where you got it, etc..

Spyder Garage

I got one from www.suspaparts.com C16-20651 40lbs. It works great. Will hold seat up even with helmet on the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    I got one from www.suspaparts.com C16-20651 40lbs. It works great. Will hold seat up even with helmet on the seat.
    If this will fit the 2020 and up RTL I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Tonnea...5596957&sr=8-5

I'll purchase this and forward the other to whom ever wants to pay half the cost plus postage to you. It's a lot less than what's listed on Suspaparts site. I just want to make sure it fits the 2020+ models. Your half would be $12.10 plus postage to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    If this will fit the 2020 and up RTL I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Tonnea...5596957&sr=8-5

I'll purchase this and forward the other to whom ever wants to pay half the cost plus postage to you. It's a lot less than what's listed on Suspaparts site. I just want to make sure it fits the 2020+ models. Your half would be $12.10 plus postage to you.
    Ok just forget this post, I just looked and this one will not work. What's on mine is a C16-35101 and it's not even listed on their website. I'm guessing that it is a dealer only item. I'll continue to remove mine and post back if I find anything that works for the newer 2020+ models.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied and suggestions for sources I hadn't thought of. My belt tensioner from Lamonster should arrive in the next couple of days, which will necessitate removing the same panels needed to access the strut and take measurements. If I find a replacement I'll be sure to post the info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman47 View Post
    Thanks to all who replied and suggestions for sources I hadn't thought of. My belt tensioner from Lamonster should arrive in the next couple of days, which will necessitate removing the same panels needed to access the strut and take measurements. If I find a replacement I'll be sure to post the info.
    I ordered a couple of struts to try. If you order some make sure to get the ones with removable ends. The top end seems to be BRP specific but I could be wrong.

I also sent Suspa a email (that's who made the oem strut) asking if they had one a little stronger and explained my problem to them so we'll see if they respond.

If you can wait a couple more day's before ordering anything I'll know if what I ordered will work or not.

Spyder Garage

I did hear back from Suspa today, it looks like getting anything from them is cost prohibitive. I will post back my findings on the one's that I have on order as soon as they arrive.

Here is the response from Suspa:

Jenny L. Walter <JWalter@us.suspa.com>
    9:20 AM (6 hours ago)
    to me

We only make that item for in that 18lb. force for BRP. We could make it in a higher force but it would be a new part number so you would need to determine how much higher you would like to move to. I even looked to see if we make that shock in that length with just threaded ends and we do not.

So it would be a one off, custom part. 1 piece = $160.00, 2-5 = $110.00 each

Lead time would be 3-4 weeks to build.

Spyder Garage

Ok just forget this post, I just looked and this one will not work. What's on mine is a C16-35101 and it's not even listed on their website. I'm guessing that it is a dealer only item. I'll continue to remove mine and post back if I find anything that works for the newer 2020+ models.
    Now that you have noted this, IIRC the strut rod on mine was not a spring/clip type connection at the top where it attaches to the seat - it is held by a screw. I actually broke the little plastic nib piece on the seat that the strut rod fits over while I was trying to remove the strut rod so that I could remove the seat. Just a guess but if the stock strut is 18 pounds as the guy at SUSPA stated, a 40 lb load might be enough force to break that nib just in routine seat operation. Would be an easy fix though: Just grind off the nib and replace it with a bushing and thru-bolt.

Spyder Garage

I concur with the Suspa part number. I just checked mine: Clearly stamped on the body of the strut rod is Suspa, Made in USA, C16-35101

Mine has a ball socket and spring fitting at the bottom connection and a mounting hole at the top connection (to the seat). The screw hole measures about .3125" (5/16"). The overall length is roughly 6-3/4" and the travel appears to be about 2-3/8". My guess is that it will be difficult to find one with a ball socket fitting at one end and a hole fitting at the other; However, we might be able to eliminate the plastic nib on the seat and put a ball socket attachment there instead. If so, then it wouldn't be too big a deal for anyone that wants to be the guinea pig and figure it all out.

Spyder Garage

Ok the parts that I ordered have came in but I was planning on using the old ends. I don't believe the lower end screws off, I have tried to no avail but also did not want to break it just in case I had to reuse it. So I have more parts on order that will be here sometime on Friday 7-9-21

Also I ordered a 20, 30 & 40 pound strut so I could tell which would work the best.

More to come.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ok I have what I think is a suitable work around. Regardless of what Suspa stated in a email to me I did find one that works great. Suspa C16-14870 it is a 30# strut. I also was able to get the bottom and top ends off of the old strut so you can simply just use them if you want to.

I did replace the top link with another one which gave me about a 1/4" more lift at the stud which translated to a good bit of lift at the front of the seat. I like this better as you will have a little more room to fill it with gas.

Here's the best price that I found and as always with them I received them the next day. I'm sure this will vary depending on where you are located. Freight was a little under $8.00 so that also is reasonable.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/1374 Part # 9416K14 in 30# You can choose another if you wish but it might break the plastic stud if there's too much pressure on it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/1376 The eyelet end that I used is a 6465K26 it is plastic but works great. You can always use the old one.

Here's on showing the extra length I got with the new eyelet end.
    20210709_185620.jpg

Here's one showing the new strut installed.
    20210709_185204.jpg

Here's one of just the new eyelet
    20210709_185212.jpg

Here's one of the seat lifted
    20210709_185329.jpg
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-09-2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added pics

Spyder Garage

Sorry for all the pics being sideways.

Spyder Garage

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/1374 Part # 9416K14 in 30# You can choose another if you wish but it might break the plastic stud if there's too much pressure on it.
    For some odd reason, that link goes to a "how to" page. I got to the page by entering the part number (9416K14) in their search block.

The other link worked fine.

Thanks for posting this. I will likely order this as well.

Spyder Garage

Great to hear McMaster came threw for you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info K80. My research had resulted in the same number for the strut from McMaster-Carr. But hadn't thought about the eyelet, as I was going to use the one from the factory strut, but the extra lift will be nice.
    For those wishing to replace their strut, the ball end comes off, but with concerted effort. I clamped the end in a vise, wrapped the strut with some tape, them gripped it with a pliers (water pump) and twisted. It will finally break loose.
    Total for strut, eyelet, shipping and IL tax came to $27.56. Should receive it this coming Tuesday. I can't wait to see if this works.
    P.S. A rather unscientific procedure using a digital bathroom scale showed 16.7 lbs of force needed the close the factory strut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    For some odd reason, that link goes to a "how to" page. I got to the page by entering the part number (9416K14) in their search block.

The other link worked fine.

Thanks for posting this. I will likely order this as well.
    Did you scroll down on the page? It should have been farther down but as long as you found it that's all that matters.

Spyder Garage

Why not get a new one under warranty?
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red