Spyder Garage

Default '09 GS Passenger backrest?

Greetings-

I recently encouraged my dad to purchase a 2009 GS. He is no longer comfortable riding on 2 wheels and thought this was a good way for him to ride with me a while longer.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't do any research before the purchase beyond realizing it was a good price compared to others in the area. It's in good shape and runs well, so that's not the issue. He wants to install a passenger back and arm rests for his wife, but we are struggling to find anything. The local dealer isn't much help nor is the Can-Am web site. I've checked on eBay, but can't find any direct matches and can't seem to cross reference to other models that would be compatible.

The internet is somewhat of a mystery to him, so I'm trying to run something down. Plus, I feel guilty as I didn't do any homework prior to this purchase.

Attached are a couple pics of what he currently has. It appears to me that a backrest would drop in then get locked in place with those 2 bars. Is that how that would work? Do the hand holds come off for armrests? What other models can I search for that would work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    Greetings-

I recently encouraged my dad to purchase a 2009 GS. He is no longer comfortable riding on 2 wheels and thought this was a good way for him to ride with me a while longer.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't do any research before the purchase beyond realizing it was a good price compared to others in the area. It's in good shape and runs well, so that's not the issue. He wants to install a passenger back and arm rests for his wife, but we are struggling to find anything. The local dealer isn't much help nor is the Can-Am web site. I've checked on eBay, but can't find any direct matches and can't seem to cross reference to other models that would be compatible.

The internet is somewhat of a mystery to him, so I'm trying to run something down. Plus, I feel guilty as I didn't do any homework prior to this purchase.

Attached are a couple pics of what he currently has. It appears to me that a backrest would drop in then get locked in place with those 2 bars. Is that how that would work? Do the hand holds come off for armrests? What other models can I search for that would work?

BRP didn't make any that I remember .... however in later models I think they came up with something to fit that part ( your pic isn't what my GS looked like ) ..... because you are looking for an Older part I doubt you will find anything NEW from BRP .... however you may find something in the after-market or a used one .... I made my own using a top box that had a PAD for the passenger .... getting one for the driver is easier look at what " Utopia " has for a driver backrest .... they make the best IMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Check out the dual position backrests from SmoothSpyder - see the home page here for a link to them, they are a sponsor here.

I don't think Jim can help any with the arm rests tho, but most feel the dual position backrest more than compensates, and few pillions notice the lack once they've got the properly adjusted backrest to lean on!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

There was an adjustable backrest that BRP sold (no armrests) back in 2009. The SKU was 219400082.

Spyder Garage

Accessories were few and far between for the 08 and 09 models. Half of the farkles I bought for both models came from Corbin. I don't remember the backrest above, but might be worth checking. It will most likely be found used.

Saw a Corbin fairing for $1K (about half price) on here the other day. It made the 08/09 models look like something from "Alien." I had one on both of my 08/09's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Check out the dual position backrests from SmoothSpyder - see the home page here for a link to them, they are a sponsor here.

I don't think Jim can help any with the arm rests tho, but most feel the dual position backrest more than compensates, and few pillions notice the lack once they've got the properly adjusted backrest to lean on!
    Here is the link https://www.smoothspyder.com/gs-rs-st-backrest/ see the video
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the help.

He loves the idea of a top case. That will be functional and reasonably priced. I'll leave the armrest solution up to him.

FYI-I had already contacted Jim at Smooth Spyder. He was vary helpful.

Spyder Garage

Greetings-

Call Dave, he is a sponsor here and he might be able to provide the arm rest.

https://www.motorcycledave.com/

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the help.

He loves the idea of a top case. That will be functional and reasonably priced. I'll leave the armrest solution up to him.

FYI-I had already contacted Jim at Smooth Spyder. He was vary helpful.
    I'm pretty sure EVERY after-market Top case I've seen came with a mounting plate that you can attach with what's on the Spyder now .... many different sizes ... I've bought two on E-bay ..... good luck .... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have what you need

Hi Dave here. I can help with your problems.
    I also have an older model mine is older than yours mine is a GS
    first year model. I have no plans on getting rid of it since I have no
    problems with it. I can supply you with arm rests for the passenger
    also the back rest is no problem. your dealer can not help with those
    Give me a call I will be happy to point yo in the right direction for
    parts and accessories. ISCI Passenger ARMRESTS.jpeg
    Call me 209-887-3283
    motorcycledave@mac.com
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Greetings-