Spyder Garage

Default New rear tire,Spyder goes into limp mode

We just took possession of a used 2015 Spyder RT S with 14,500 km (9000 miles). The stock rear tire needed replacing which was done prior to delivery by the previous owner. The new tire is a General Altimax RT 43 (215 65 R15). The Spyder was test ridden prior to the change of tire with no problems; after the tire change, it was driven for 20 km (15 miles) with no issues and then delivered to us.
    We took it out for its first ride the following day and after less than a kilometre, the ABS and VSS indicator lamps came on and stayed on, the engine indicator light flashed on and off and the Spyder went into limp mode (as indicated on the multifunction gauge). I managed to bring up the error codes using the BRP 3 finger salute and they are in order: P2159, C003A, C006C.
    Being new to Spyders, I am now at a loss for what to do. I have tried lowering the rear tire pressure by 2 PSI to 26 and increasing the front tire PSI from 18 to 22 - no change.
    Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

That tire on the rear only needs 18-20 PSI. I do not know anything else. Did you spin the tire in loose gravel? Turning it off and restarting give the same error? If I was mine, I would disconnect the battery for 20 or 30 minute and then restart it and see if errors clear.

More experienced people should be by to share knowledge.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash can, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    That tire on the rear only needs 18-20 PSI. I do not anything else. Did you spin the tire in loose gravel? Turning it off and restarting give the same error? If I was mine, I would disconnect the battery for 20 or 30 minute and then restart it and see if errors clear.

More experienced people should be by to share knowledge.
    ... and try 18 psi first, that's a good psi for any auto tire .... and that size has been used by thousands since 09 with no size caused issues. ... What I don't understand is why these faults/ codes didn't appear immediately .... something sounds odd ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Also look closely at the rear wheel sensor. Look that it was not making contact with the tone wheel and has been damaged.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...l-speed-sensor
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash can, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

All 3 codes are related to the wheel speed sensor. Probably removed for rear tire install and the exact spacers were not replaced changing the air gap between the sensor and the wheel ring.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    All 3 codes are related to the wheel speed sensor. Probably removed for rear tire install and the exact spacers were not replaced changing the air gap between the sensor and the wheel ring.
    Almost certainly!

And cos the codes didn't show up immediately, I'd guess that the securing screw wasn't screwed back in properly & that screw has worked loose, allowing the sensor to work loose in turn.... . Otherwise, something has been bent &/or damaged somehow in that 20 miles of riding - probably in the last few moments just before the codes triggered!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

First off, thanks to all respondents for your suggestions. I dropped the rear tire pressure from 25 - 20 psi, checked brake fluid levels, removed the rear wheel sensor (it was dirty), reinstalled it and measured the gap to specs and the lights are still on! Both my wife and I being new to Spyders, I asked her exactly what happened when she took the Spyder out for our first time (everything was fine up to this point - the Spyder had been ridden/tested by the previous owner with the new 215 65 R15 tire for 20 km and, upon delivery (trailered, not ridden) we had moved the bike around in our driveway). During her very short ride, my wife mentioned that it was possible that her foot was resting on the brake pedal for a kilometre or so. I have read on this forum, that the nanny does not like this. Can this be the problem and if so, is a trip to the dealership necessary to reset the system using BUDS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    ..... During her very short ride, my wife mentioned that it was possible that her foot was resting on the brake pedal for a kilometre or so. I have read on this forum, that the nanny does not like this. Can this be the problem and if so, is a trip to the dealership necessary to reset the system using BUDS?
    That could well be it! And yes, the Nanny REALLY doesn't like this! But the good news is that you shouldn't need a trip to the dealership to reset the system - just turn it off & wait a bit to let the computer shut down & record the codes into stored history; then start it up again and ryde it without resting your foot on the brake for a while... just use it normally & make sure the pedal comes completely back up while you ryde it around the block maybe?! Be careful & gentle, and if the warnings & codes etc don't clear themselves during that ryde, shutting it down again & waiting a bit before restarting again should!

However, if it doesn't, you might need to reset the brake pressure switch (there's a fairly straightforward process you can do for this - someone with the details will help I'm sure. ) &/or you might need to check the brake fluid level in the reservoir & possibly even top it up with a smidge of clean brake fluid; and finally, you might need to check the brake light globes & circuit to make sure everything is working. A blown brake light globe or fuse can cause all sorts of problems like this! But I'd expect the gentle ryde thing would do it, altho if it's really been upset, maybe not?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That could well be it! And yes, the Nanny REALLY doesn't like this! But the good news is that you shouldn't need a trip to the dealership to reset the system - just turn it off & wait a bit to let the computer shut down & record the codes into stored history; then start it up again and ryde it without resting your foot on the brake for a while... just use it normally & make sure the pedal comes completely back up while you ryde it around the block maybe?! Be careful & gentle, and if the warnings & codes etc don't clear themselves during that ryde, shutting it down again & waiting a bit before restarting again should!

However, if it doesn't, you might need to reset the brake pressure switch (there's a fairly straightforward process you can do for this - someone with the details will help I'm sure. ) &/or you might need to check the brake fluid level in the reservoir & possibly even top it up with a smidge of clean brake fluid; and finally, you might need to check the brake light globes & circuit to make sure everything is working. A blown brake light globe or fuse can cause all sorts of problems like this! But I'd expect the gentle ryde thing would do it, altho if it's really been upset, maybe not?!?
    and let me add - make sure the brake light is working correctly ie. it goes on and fully releases if foot removed ... make sure to move the ignition key AWAY from the switch ..... and if this fails re-move the Batt. wire from the terminals and see if it works .... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Rechecked the brake fluid reservoir - looked clean and full. Checked the brake light globes and circuit - no burned out globes and brake lights come on when brake pedal is depressed. Tried resetting the brake low pressure switch by first gently pressing on the brake pedal to hear the first click (which occurred) and then pressed further as hard as I could. I did not hear a second click but I have read that this may not occur. What is important is that 3500 PSI is achieved which I hope I did. Needless to say, no change in the light status. I am at my wits end so I succumbed to riding the Spyder in limp mode to the dealership. I am now at their mercy and I will let everyone know the result. Very anxious to start enjoying the new toy!!

Spyder Garage

Did you actually ADD any brake fluid?? If not, you shoulda tried that before going to the dealer! Sometimes all it takes is a half a teaspoon full extra to fix these types of brake issues. And then you would've needed to do as Mike suggested above, only being especially careful to make sure the brake lights go OFF when the pedal is released! It's usually the brake light staying ON that causes this sorta thing!

Checking those before taking it for a careful ryde of more than 100 yds or so, returning, then shutting it down for a short while & then starting it up again usually does the trick, altho sometimes the ryde needs to be longer, but anything much more than a few blocks can be an issue. Still it's at the dealers now, hopefully they won't gouge you too much for what should be a simple fix!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Scarlet is now back from the dealer. Everything seems fine. The rear wheel sensor fault was reset, active VCM code was reset and no parts were broken, missing, or needed replacement. They wondered if the rear wheel was spun on the jack to set up the belt tension and alignment after the new rear tire was installed. Apparently this would cause the codes mentioned. When I told them the bike had been ridden for 20 km after the tire install, they did not say much. I was charged for one hour of labour which included a short test ride; I found this reasonable. I will look on the bright side and take this as being a learning experience, mostly thanks due to the help and suggestions of the members of SpyderLovers.com.